Wouxun KG-805G - Any Experience to Share?

mbrun

Fantastic!

Isn’t it amazing what range we can achieve when there is no earth and other serious obstacles in the way?

Enjoy.

Did a 25mi hit with 805G to Kenwood 3170 on simplex Saturday. Brought up the repeater, spoke with the wife on that then had her switch to 16 simplex. She listened to the offroad conversation details when we were down in a gully and told me all about it after I got home.

Scadacore RF LOS attached.

Michael

WRHS965

KE8PLM

It is!  What the graph doesn't show is that I was down in a muddy creek bottom, behind a hill when she heard the conversation between rigs.  She's too radio shy to chime in and inform me she's listening.  All good tho'.  My part of the country is ideal for elevation changes and long distances.  

Fantastic!

Isn’t it amazing what range we can achieve when there is no earth and other serious obstacles in the way?

Enjoy.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

• 2 weeks later...

Had my first issue with 805G.  PF1 (Scan) stopped working.  Manually set to Scan, looked for it in software but nothing made it work.  Contacted BTWR, where I bought it and since it's within the 1 year warranty, they sent me an RMA and off it went for replacement.  Great service and much appreciated.

I agree, I had issue with my 805G and they offered to exchange it and I said wait let me restore from factory backup first... That fixed it, so called back and told them all is well.    

They where ready to stand behide products they sell.  That why I keep coming back.

Jack

• 2 weeks later...

Grant, let us know how you like the 805G.  I have stated this before... I have a pair of 805G before the 905G came out... 805G are mow for wife and kids but 905G is my radio of choice for the group scanning.  

Enjoy your radios and reaching the repeaters with all your radios.

Jack

just ordered me one. I have a pair of gmrx1000 midlands. but since I have my license wanted to step up and try these. Hoping the repeaters will work in my Mesa Az area. 

Grant

I figured it out any entry into menu 12 will automatically reset #14 and visa versa. Same with #13 and #15.

I kid you not.

That is an unnecessary annoyance and shortcoming of the current crop of radios which are all based on some form of amateur radio. I personally am lobbying the importers/manufacturers to change this.

The issue you are experience is based on the fact that Menu and Enter are the same key. Once you are in a function menu, do not hit menu again unless you want the current displayed value to become the new value. Instead hit Exit if you do not want to change to the current selection, even if you did not yourself change it.

While the Midland radios fall short in flexibility, one think they have going for them is simplicity. Midland requires the user to interact with one or two menu items to deal with codes whereas Wouxun and others require you to interact with 4.

Michael

WRHS965

KE8PLM

• 2 months later...

Just got one today for the wife, great little radio, smaller and lighter than the 905G, but the funny thing is out of the three different Wouxun radios i have the 805G, 905G and KG-UV9G it has the largest charger, all three share the same ac adapter but the tray on the 805G is the largest