BuyTwoWayRadios.com

Photo

Wouxun KG-805G - Any Experience to Share?

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#41 goflight001

goflight001

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WRJL584

Posted 22 December 2020 - 10:47 AM

I currently have three of these radios deployed around my home. They work great. I have taken them out into the field for range testing and this little 5watt handheld really performs well. I hook them up to mag mount antennas and used a Nagoya antenna as well. I am very pleased with the quality, accessories and general feel of the unit. I recommend it to anyone who would like a strictly GMRS hand talkie. 

• WRAF233 likes this

#42 OldRadioGuy

OldRadioGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WRKS450
  • Ham Callsign:Yes

Posted 10 February 2021 - 01:28 PM

I really like my 805G's and am impressed that I can reach a repeater 15 miles away on the stock antenna.

Switching to the Nagoya 771 antenna improved my signal to that is recommended.

I've been a ham since 1985 and my experience is that this Wouxun is a very respectable radio.

My radio did "desense" my wife's radio 20' away while I was talking on the repeater.

So she did not hear me talking on the repeater - just the other guy.

But I think this would be even be expected even on a Ham HT.

It's just a fact of life for hand held radios.

I really like the available accessories like swap-able battery packs, speaker mics, BNC adapter etc.

The powerwerx speaker mic is really nice for the money.

I wish it had a power level select button to reduce power at close range.

We always switch channels to the .5W group to save power when close.

Other than that I really have no complaints.

It would be nice if there were waterproof IP7. 

Nice radios.

Vince

• NCRick likes this

#43 MacJack

MacJack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationWestern NC
  • GMRS Callsign:WRJX754

Posted 10 February 2021 - 03:57 PM

Vince, add me to the list of liking my 805G...  Now for an easy way to go lower power is I programmed into our 805G a LPower channel, HPower channel (which is the same Freq just power change) and also did a HBand with full power on GMRS channel and LBand on the FRS channel.  I think I have hundreds of locations to add a mix of label channels... I even label all my repeater by name and PL codes leaving the Rpt 15-22 with no PL codes so I can hear other repeaters which I'm not on.  Hope that helps.

Jack

I really like my 805G's and am impressed that I can reach a repeater 15 miles away on the stock antenna.

Switching to the Nagoya 771 antenna improved my signal to that is recommended.

I've been a ham since 1985 and my experience is that this Wouxun is a very respectable radio.

My radio did "desense" my wife's radio 20' away while I was talking on the repeater.

So she did not hear me talking on the repeater - just the other guy.

But I think this would be even be expected even on a Ham HT.

It's just a fact of life for hand held radios.

I really like the available accessories like swap-able battery packs, speaker mics, BNC adapter etc.

The powerwerx speaker mic is really nice for the money.

I wish it had a power level select button to reduce power at close range.

We always switch channels to the .5W group to save power when close.

Other than that I really have no complaints.

It would be nice if there were waterproof IP7. 

Nice radios.

Vince

#44 EagleFlight

EagleFlight

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationFlathead County Montana
  • GMRS Callsign:WRJE271

Posted 21 February 2021 - 03:45 PM

I purchased a pair of these last summer and upgraded both with the Nagoya 701G antenna. On 5 watts I have gotten good reception up to 14 miles. This distance was confirmed with Google Earth. I will attempt greater distances when time permits. My location is Northwest Montana in a valley with mountains on all sides. I do my best to have line of sight work to my advantage. Talking from one town to the next works well as long as I choose a location (elevation) that reduces building obstructions. These radios generally are not affected (in my experience) by trees, hills, etc. I did a lot of reading (research) before I purchased these and have been very happy with the decision.

• WRAF233 likes this

#45 MozartMan

MozartMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WRAE802

Posted 21 February 2021 - 04:38 PM

I purchased a pair of these last summer and upgraded both with the Nagoya 701G antenna. On 5 watts I have gotten good reception up to 14 miles.

My question is what is the difference between Nagoya 701G and Nagoya 701C, which is sold on this site?

https://shop.mygmrs....na-701c-antenna

#46 mbrun

mbrun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WRHS965
  • Ham Callsign:KE8PLM

Posted 21 February 2021 - 05:47 PM

Hello EagleFlight. Welcome to the forum. Enjoy!

I own these radios as well and have concluded that they are indeed a good value. Having used them now extensively, including relentless experimentation, it is with the utmost confidence I can say that trees, their foliage and perhaps ever other physical object between the two antennas does indeed decrease their range. The more obstacles, the greater the cumulative affect.

Case in point. In my immediate vicinity the land is 60% trees or more, the rest a mixture of sparsely located homes (1-6 acre lots), fields/yards and light commercial (gas stations, grocery, etc). Land is mostly flat to slightly rolling. In one direction, talking through the trees I can achieve perfect communication using HTs only up to .4 miles, reliable but noisy out to .6 miles, and thereafter unreliable, noisy and partially usable out to 1.4 miles. If I go another direction (through fields, very few trees, a few houses and a Walmart) but the same basic topology, I can achieve perfect communications at 1 mile plus. The key difference is the quantity/density of trees between the radios.

In my environment, trees have proven to be my greatest obstacle. I enjoy have them around, but they sure can be a pain where good RF range is desired.

I thought you might appreciate the contrasting experience.

Again, welcome to the Forum!

...These radios generally are not affected (in my experience) by trees, hills, etc. I did a lot of reading (research) before I purchased these and have been very happy with the decision.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

Michael

WRHS965

KE8PLM

#47 WRAF233

WRAF233

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts
  • LocationNevada
  • GMRS Callsign:WRAF233

Posted 23 February 2021 - 11:39 AM

Had the 805G with factory antenna in camp in Montana last summer.  Handed off to the wife for her drive to the nearest town where there's a cellphone access pullout (no cell coverage where I camp,, yaaa!).  We had a conversation for 5 or more minutes with her on the 805G and me on my Kenwood mobile in my SxS, in camp, behind a 50' or so tree covered hill with open hay fields beyond but not visible.  LOS (which it really wasn't with the hill obstructing) is 15mi. verified by Google Earth.  Had reached her earlier from an opening outside the timber but was very surprised to reach her easily from camp, and to hear back clear as could be.  Maybe I hit the right propagation conditions and will test from the same spot this year and might try HT-HT for snicks.  Also, will have the 701G antennas to try.

Also, easily hit local repeaters at 6 miles from inside my house or shop.

I purchased a pair of these last summer and upgraded both with the Nagoya 701G antenna. On 5 watts I have gotten good reception up to 14 miles. This distance was confirmed with Google Earth. I will attempt greater distances when time permits. My location is Northwest Montana in a valley with mountains on all sides. I do my best to have line of sight work to my advantage. Talking from one town to the next works well as long as I choose a location (elevation) that reduces building obstructions. These radios generally are not affected (in my experience) by trees, hills, etc. I did a lot of reading (research) before I purchased these and have been very happy with the decision.

WRAF233

NE NV

#48 n4gix

n4gix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 719 posts
  • LocationHammond, Indiana
  • GMRS Callsign:WQWU626
  • Ham Callsign:N4GIX

Posted 26 February 2021 - 03:10 PM

My question is what is the difference between Nagoya 701G and Nagoya 701C, which is sold on this site?

https://shop.mygmrs....na-701c-antenna

The 701G is factory tuned for GMRS frequecies (462 - 457)

The 701C is fractory tuned for commercial UHF frequencies (which includes the 70cm ham band as well).

#49 MozartMan

MozartMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WRAE802

Posted 26 February 2021 - 03:15 PM

The 701G is factory tuned for GMRS frequecies (462 - 457)

The 701C is fractory tuned for commercial UHF frequencies (which includes the 70cm ham band as well).

Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users