Doubly narrow banded?

GuySagi

Question

I picked up an old FRS/GMRS HT (handheld) for my grandson when (or if) we get to fish/camp this fall. 

I understand the perils/drawbacks of mixing a narrow band with another transceiver that is wide band, which prompted me to look up the HT's FCC certification and emission type. I also understand we're OK going wide on GMRS, but here's the link to the emission type designation for the used walkie. https://fccid.io/Emissions-Designator/5K64F3E

Am I missing something, or is this HT twice as narrow than the narrow banding that's gone into effect on other bands? 5khz versus 10 khz?

I'm keeping my fingers crossed my wires are crossed. 

4 answers to this question

Most older FRS radios can't cover the Wide GMRS channels anyway, as most stop at channel 14.  The original GMRS Wideband frequencies are now known as channels 15-22 on modern FRS radios - a leftover from the "Combo" radios of the past few years.

You are correct however, in that this one is very narrow - not much modulation at all.  Most UHF narrow band analog gear these days is 12.5KHz max bandwidth, and the most common designator if 11K6F3E. (actual 11.6KHz bandwidth)

The bottom line test is to do the following. You take one one radio and give your grandson the other. Turn your backs to each other and each of you walk 100 feet. Call each other, on the radio of course. If you can hear each other through the radio, there is no problem, if you can’t, well there’s always eBay and try again.

Wow. Hard to believe I was correct in reading the FCC info. I wish it was more user friendly, because the marketing claims on range that appears on packages is identically outrageous, then you read the test results on output required by the FCC and you're really wondering what kind of stuff the advertising department is smoking. 

Thanks. I will be conducting a test before I decide whether to keep the radio around Berkinet. Hopefully it will surprise me. Radios are a big help when you're fishing a noisy trout stream, that's for sure and the last thing I need is one that can't be heard over a pool holding some nice lunkers. 

As usual, the folks here are the best.