Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationToledo, Ohio
  • GMRS Callsign:ask me
  • Ham Callsign:ask me

Posted 26 April 2014 - 04:57 PM

A good friend of mine has put up a GMRS repeater in my area that is over 400 feet in the air.  He is using a borrowed digital repeater for the moment but will re crystal his big 100 watter for use soon.  He just got ahold of 7/8 hard line and a 16 bay folded dipole that he believes is 10 or 12 db gain. He will turn it down to keep the repeater safe, and it is on top of a building so the hard line is super short.  He has his ham, commercial, and GMRS licenses, and used to work for a radio service so he can get a lot of stuff super cheap or free.  He has a 40 mile foot print now and hopes to get it back to almost 60 miles like his commercial machine used to do it the same exact location.  If he runs the repeater at 75 or 80 watts and has about 50 at the antenna is he legal?  I hope so.  Just questions.  Should be huge by the end of the month.

Jerry

• PastorGary likes this

#2 PastorGary

PastorGary

Senior Tropical Weather Analyst, TSRC, Gulf Shores, Alabama

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1458 posts
  • LocationMultiple locations in USA seasonally.

Posted 26 April 2014 - 06:00 PM

Jerry - GMRS equipment - including repeaters - can only have a maxmum RF power at the radio connector of 50 watts.  Regulations do NOT limit antenna gain for a higher ERP, but the power regulation is cast in stone. If he has a GMRs license, he should already be aware of the regulation -

47CFR95.135   Maximum authorized transmitting power.

(a) No station may transmit with more than 50 watts output power.

• Logan5 likes this

#3 deputycrawford

deputycrawford

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationToledo, Ohio

Posted 26 April 2014 - 09:09 PM

Ok, thanks.  He has been reading up about the GMRS repeater stuff so I'm sure he is going to set it at the 50 watts.  It should still be a big booming repeater for the area.  A guy is getting into it already from Clyde, Ohio so when it gets stronger it should be full quieting almost everywhere.  He is moving the transmit stick up another 20 feet so it should be almost 430 feet.  That is great for this flat area.

Jerry

#4 PastorGary

PastorGary

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1458 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 05:15 AM

Thanks Jerry - We wouldn't want your colleague to get a visit from 'the men in black' for operating outside the power requirements...   ;)

• Logan5 likes this

#5 deputycrawford

deputycrawford

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationToledo, Ohio

Posted 19 May 2014 - 05:20 PM

Update, we changed to the 9.2 DB gain antenna, and put "cans" in the transmit.  I know that's not a good term but you know what I mean.  This thing sounds sooo good.  A friend can also get into it from his portable a couple miles into the next county, and the repeater is located in the center of my county.  I think Tim said there are around 8 or 9 new GMRS licensees in our area that are starting to use the repeater.  Two of them, my brother-in-law and my son, are mostly through the ham tech book and starting practice tests on QRZ.COM.  We have started something here and may have two new hams soon from it.  It feels good to make a difference.  One guy gets into the repeater from about 55 miles away on a portable that lives on a hill.  Very cool. Just thought I would let everyone know.

Jerry

#6 PastorGary

PastorGary

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1458 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 05:51 PM

Thanks, Jerry - Sounds as if that system might have more usable range than the local Sheriff's system... but, that is common with many GMRS systems.

;)

• ASRM likes this

#7 Logan5

Logan5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • LocationFort Lauderdale Florida
  • GMRS Callsign:WQQT630
  • Ham Callsign:KK4PRC

Posted 19 May 2014 - 07:04 PM

Yep, sounds like an IDEAL installation, 50watts into short hardline on high gain antenna at altitude. Super range and building penetration. I hope you guys list it here. does it have a travel tone?  

#8 Guest_spd641_*

Guest_spd641_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2014 - 08:12 PM

Jerry,

I hope he enjoys the new repeater,it sounds like he has it nailed down real well.I have a small repeater using minimal power and a Station Master antenna about 9db with only LMR400 which I had on hand.I could not believe the range 60 miles on a mobile and 40 miles on a hand held from the last range test I did a few weeks ago...William

#9 PastorGary

PastorGary

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1458 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 05:10 AM

William - Is your coverage on I-65 south of Cullman better now than last year?

#10 Guest_spd641_*

Guest_spd641_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:25 AM

William - Is your coverage on I-65 south of Cullman better now than last year?

P-G,

It is different in several directions due to terrain with exceptions to the mountains,in the I-65 cooridor which seems most repeaters have trouble getting into including our amateur repeater locater just 14 miles off the 284 exit where we met,it seems those valleys are somewhat of a RF dead zone unless you are talking to a repeater toward Cullman or Birmingham and back to the west in Walker county.....William

#11 PastorGary

PastorGary

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1458 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:32 AM

Thanks William - on our next trip through the area we'll have less antenna on that vehicle, but we'll give it a try anyway.  I might be able to change things at my end by then - it's still a few months off.... I'll see what I can come up with for mobile gain.

PastorGary -

Weather postings Copyrighted © TSRC, All Rights Reserved

#12 deputycrawford

deputycrawford

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationToledo, Ohio

Posted 20 May 2014 - 05:53 PM

Thanks guys for the input.  Yes the repeater is 425 FT in the air with a 9.2 DB transmit and a 10 DB gain Channel master in the receive, as well as the 100 FT 7/8 hard line at both ends.  It's booming big time for our area.  PG I believe it does work better than our old 460.475 Sheriff system used to.  I had 6 or 7 users on it at the same time a day or two ago. We did well with short transmissions and everybody got a turn.  Things are looking good in our area. 

We have bad weather possibly coming into our area tonight and tomorrow so I have three people ready to take the mike near a computer to give us weather updates if another is away.  I will be on12 hr patrols for the next two days so I will try to spot, or help as I can.  We are having a TON of fun with this radio service. 

Jerry

#13 deputycrawford

deputycrawford

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationToledo, Ohio

Posted 22 May 2014 - 09:59 PM

Tim, the repeater owner, actually got into the repeater From Cedar Point on his portable, and I had a conversation with him for quite awhile from the parking lot from his mobile.  Cool beans I tell you.  He has a site he can get for free that is 400 Ft in Sandusky that will cover Cedar Point and much more.  He has the repeater equipment but has to get it up yet.  Maybe in a couple months we will have awesome Cedar Point coverage with a travel tone.  Things are looking up.

Oh, by the way, I got a new license on the way for another new user, and found 4 more Baofeng 888 radios, correct for part 95, on order for $14,56 each.  Things are happening in Ohio. LOL

Jerry

#14 WQPE714

WQPE714

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WQPE714

Posted 24 May 2014 - 10:38 PM

meh just do it, not like the FCC ever cares or wants to do anything. At least the community will get better repeater service range.Theres even one on a mountian in my area doing 300 watts. It's all fine.

#15 quarterwave

quarterwave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • LocationOh-io
  • GMRS Callsign:On-File

Posted 26 May 2014 - 11:33 AM

meh just do it, not like the FCC ever cares or wants to do anything. At least the community will get better repeater service range.Theres even one on a mountian in my area doing 300 watts. It's all fine.

No, I'm afraid it's not "all fine". Follow the rules. I have read a couple of your posts, are you here to participate or instigate? Sounds very negative to me. I think I can speak for all members in saying we welcome participants....not problems. Let's don't be antagonistic...or maybe this isn't the site for you.

And furthermore...a 300 watt repeater has no better usable range than a 50 watt repeater if the receive isn't enhanced. 4 watts from a portable still only goes so far to reach a repeater....300 watts is just "broadcasting" and is likely hurting the receive side more unless using high dollar cans, pre filters/selectors, etc.

Moderator - if I am being too forward with our new member here, please delete. Just calling it as I see it, and don't want something getting out of hand.  

• Ezekiel likes this

#16 PastorGary

PastorGary

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1458 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 01:02 PM

Quarterwave - everything is cool at your end and we sent you a PM regarding the situation to which you have responded to.

We will only say this one more time in the open before the staff here takes punitive action:

We DO NOT want to see any posted suggestions regarding BLATANT** unlawful operation - such as over power being an "OK - who cares" situation, Ham equipmment being used on GMRS frequencies and so on.  Any further postings of this type will trigger an automatic staff response which may decrease our membership by one, as well as being removed from the main website registration. The suggestions made by the individual in question may also potentially stir the interest of the Commission because the Commission IP address shows up occasionally as a guest here and the call sign of the person is clearly visible. Need we say more?

The MyGMRS staff

[** ref: the Part 90 equipment in Part 95 service is not a blatant issue as of this time and is still on the table for discussions as usual.]

• Logan5, ASRM and Ezekiel like this

#17 Guest_spd641_*

Guest_spd641_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2014 - 03:38 PM

May I also add this is a family oriented forum and we do not condone certain types of language or "by words" that may be seen by children or adults that may find it offensive...William

#18 deputycrawford

deputycrawford

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationToledo, Ohio

Posted 27 May 2014 - 09:33 AM

Thanks for the words to keep the post going the right way.  I read back through it and want to answer a couple questions.  We do not have a travel tone on the repeaters yet.  Tim has to get his Motorola MSR2000 repeater up there so he can use his good controller.  When he use his controller remotely he will add a travel tone to it.  We have both of them registered on this site.  He might get to the Paulding site first, so he will get that one running first, but he hopes to get the Sandusky, Ohio site up soon and put a travel tone on it.  It will be an open repeater for all to use.

I will read back through this thread again but I might have mentioned Tim retired from a two way mobile company as their main tech.  He still helps them out a bit so the owner has allowed him to put up the GMRS repeaters at commercial sites with most being at the 400 Ft area.  All on commercial towers, or tall buildings, and all 7/8 hard line and Super Station Masters already in line.  The two way radio company owner has allowed all sites for free, including the use of the antennas etc., and Tim helps him out by doing a repair, or new install, for free once in awhile.

Jerry

• PastorGary and ASRM like this

#19 PastorGary

PastorGary

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1458 posts

Posted 27 May 2014 - 09:38 AM

Jerry - Thanks for the updates... always interesting to see how members and colleagues are making the service better for many persons. :)

#20 deputycrawford

deputycrawford

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationToledo, Ohio

Posted 13 July 2014 - 12:35 PM

Tim put his MSR2000 repeater back together with a 1225 radio in line.  He set it at 6 watts, added a 10dB intenuator in line to drop the power to 1/4 watt to excite the amp.  Then set the amp at 50 watts and programmed for the 550 and tested it until it was ready to put up. HE THEN GAVE IT TO ME.  We swapped it out with the Icom repeater and let it rip.  We went from 25 watts out to 50 watts out.  WE are going up Wednesday to do some antenna work and put the Icom back in line wit the 575 in it. They will both be over the 400 ft mark at the same site.  Kewl I tell ya. Always a work in progress.

Jerry

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users