Repeater question.

DIHOWARD61

Question

I have a new handheld radio and have GMRS frequencies loaded. I can hear transmissions, but I don't think I'm getting out.

I have tested the radio on FRS and Marine channels... works fine.

Repeaters? how do I connect to one so I can get more range?

Thank you in advance

Dave H,

WRJR769

Wauconda, IL

17 answers to this question

Good afternoon Dave.

What radio are you trying to use? I am unaware of any radio that is legal to use on both GMRS and Marine frequencies.

To understand what it takes to use repeaters, you will need to do some research on this site related to how repeaters work and what CTCSS (PL) and DCS (DPL) squelch codes are. There are also loads of YouTube videos on the subject.

In a nutshell, repeaters listen on one frequency and transmit on another. Usually repeaters are configured so they only retransmit those signals that include a specific CTCSS or DCS code. It is your radio that must provide this code. You must get that code from the repeater owner or public repeater database. When your radio is configured for repeater use, your radio must transmit on the same frequency that the repeater is listening too, and your radio must be configured to listen to the same frequency the repeater transmits on. How these settings are achieved are radio specific.

Once you throw out the model of the radio you’re using, someone in this forum will likely chime in with more help.

Michael

WRHS965

KE8PLM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

here's the repeater that I'm trying to connect to

Is uplink = TX Frequency, downlink=RX Frequency?

also my offset is 005.000?

Downlink: 442.50000

Uplink: 447.50000

Offset: +5.0 MHz

Uplink Tone: 114.8

Downlink Tone: 114.8

County: Lake

Grid: EN52WG

Call: K9SGR

Use: OPEN

Op Status: onair.png On-Air

Sponsor: K9SGR

FM: Yes; analog capable.

Op Status: onair.png On-Air

What's your HAM callsign?  You're aware that's a 70 cm HAM repeater, right? (not GMRS)

What radio are you trying to use? I am unaware of any radio that is legal to use on both GMRS and Marine frequencies.

The OP says the radio is a BF-F8HP.  That is a 3rd gen Baofeng UV-5R.  Transmitting with it in the USA is legal ONLY on the 2m and 440 ham bands by licensed hams.

The frequencies you mention are not GMRS frequencies. GMRS frequencies are in the 462/467 MHz range.

Michael

WRHS965

KE8PLM

Op Status: onair.png On-Air

I searched and did not find any GMRS repeaters with the 462/467 range. I must be doing something wrong?

I'm in Northern IL.

GMRS repeaters can be viewed here:

https://mygmrs.com/browse?name=&location=&state=IL&frequency=&output_tone=&input_tone=&type=&network=&ori=&travel=&sort=State&step=25

You need to view them in a web browser.

Ok, that's news to me... I'm brand new to this game.

can I use the radio for FRS/GMRS ?

I don't know anything about HAM . obviously, I was not aware that that was a HAM repeater.

what frequency range should I be looking for?

Illegal radio? is that because of the 8 watt power?

BaoFeng currently only makes two models of radio that a legal for use on GMRS. One hand held, one mobile. Here is one such unit. https://baofengtech.com/gmrs-v1

The FCC implemented a special certification that the radios must obtain for you to use them legally. Absent that certification you cannot legally use the radio on GMRS or FRS.

GMRS frequencies are within the 462 and 467 MHz range. Do a web search and you will find a complete list.

Michael

WRHS965

Edit for spelling.

I have a FCC GMRS license. Is there something else. I didn't see anything on the FCC website that states I need anything more than that.

Sorry if I'm asking too many questions, this is very new to me.

It is all part of the journey.

There are multiple facets to the issue. The first is licensure. If you have your license, step 1 complete. Second facet is equipment. As a licensed user, you are expected to use equipment that meets the requirements of the FCC for the services in which the equipment is used. This means frequencies, power, modulation type, bandwidth, frequency stability and more. The FCC is expecting users to use only equipment that has been been type-certified for GMRS. You can read the federal regulars here: https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/47/part-95/subpart-E or on the FCC website. Part 95e not only covers your obligations as a licensee, but it also covers the equipment.

While some ham radio equipment (Part 97) may technically be capable of transmitting on GMRS, it is not legally permitted to be used there.

There is some legacy Part 95a equipment that I believe may still be legal to use on GMRS and there is much Part 90 equipment that folks still use for GMRS because its performance is superior to current generation GMRS product. My conclusion from all learned to date is that the FCC seems to be turning a blind eye to the use of Part 90 equipment on GMRS because a) it used to be used to be legal for use there and B) it is far more superior to current GMRS equipment (and many times the price). In any case it must be programmed so it remains in compliance at all times.

I own separate radios for amateur and GMRS operations so can remain legal on both fronts. Both radios are capable of transmitting only on the frequencies for the services in which they are certified, both are capable of listening on a whole lot more.

As you read the posts in this forum, you will learn of some of the high quality products some are using. Purchasing used commercial Part 90 equipment seems to be a favorite.

I recommend reading the FCC rules for GMRS. Things should become more (but not perfectly) clear.

Michael

WRHS965

KE8PLM

Agreed. If it were not for the commercial world of LMR radios, GMRS would not have any repeaters to use, which I understand is where GMRS started. The market is probably just too small for a repeater manufacturer to justify the added expense of type certification for GMRS given that, since its inception, Part 90 radios have been appropriate.

I think FCC is probably more concerned with type certification for the products that are manufactured for the masses. And one of the things I have concluded that they do not want is radios in the hands of the masses that can be configured to perform outside FCC specifications. Theoretically speaking, a type certified GMRS radio is not supposed to be able to be changed by the user (front pane or via software) in anyway that would allow it to perform outside Part 95e limits. While the FCC may have a hard time cracking down on illegal use of portables, they most certainly can pull their weight with the manufacturers to control what they can and do sell.

Michael

WRHS965

KE8PLM

Other than that recently introduced small 5 watt Retevis, show me a repeater that is type-certified for GMRS use.

hint: there are none

Other than that recently introduced small 5 watt Retevis, show me a repeater that is type-certified for GMRS use.

hint: there are none

Motorola MSF5000, MSR2000*, MTR2000, XPR8300
General Electric Mastr-II*, Mastr-III
Kenwood TKR-820 repeater
Kenwood TKR-850 repeater
Kenwood NEXEDGE NXR-800 (nice 5W 1U package for driving an external PA)
Kenwood NEXEDGE NXR-810
Vertex VX7000 series

* = Depends on exact model, not all have Part 95.

In fact, making a repeater compliant with Part95E isn't all that hard. Most of the compliance issues for GMRS relate to user control over frequency. Since a repeater operates on a fixed frequency, that part is already taken care of.  I'd assume the biggest problem is the cost of the certification likely exceeds the potential sales value.