#21 gman1971

gman1971

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 28 October 2020 - 02:50 PM

FSJ4-50B is the same diameter as LMR400... and it won't suck after it gets exposed for a few months. Been there done that.. I used to have spools of the USA made LMR400, all gone now.

G.

Thanks for the suggestions. Heliax maybe a little to much for me right now. Don't think I need a 7/8 cable. 

Can anyone provide a link to a good coax cable to purchase? Not sure where to go on getting coax cable. Like website.

#22 Danny

Danny

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationBloomington, MN
  • GMRS Callsign:WRJJ275

Posted 28 October 2020 - 04:25 PM

FSJ4-50B is the same diameter as LMR400... and it won't suck after it gets exposed for a few months. Been there done that.. I used to have spools of the USA made LMR400, all gone now.

G.

Do you suggest the FSJ4-50B over the LMR400? 

Where can I go to look at pricing and to purchase? Thanks!

#23 gman1971

gman1971

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 28 October 2020 - 10:59 PM

Yes, absolutely.

I did the same thing when I replaced my 25 foot LMR400 UHF-UHF feedline with FSJ4-50B N-Male N-Male, same length. The heliax I got was factory made. I got mine from eBay as a NIB New Old Stock, I paid 35 bucks for 25 foot with 2 preinstalled trimetal N-male connectors, which are like 29 bucks a pop.

To give you quantitative figures: The antenna feedline connector at the base now reads a near perfect 50.03 Ohms impedance, and the return loss is -38dBm... as expected range now is measured in tens of miles, too, as opposed to the LMR400 which had an impedance of 43 Ohm and a -28 dBm return loss, while not bad, range was at best 10 miles.

There are people here who can also make these cables. I just wanted a factory cable with the datasheet and sweep chart to ensure I wasn't getting a dud.

The keyword on eBay to find a N to N heliax is "PNMNM" if you type that you'll get every cable on eBay that has N-male (NM) to N-male (NM)  There are a ton of listings, just look for FSJ4-50B.

G.

Do you suggest the FSJ4-50B over the LMR400? 

Where can I go to look at pricing and to purchase? Thanks!

• AdmiralCochrane likes this

#24 Danny

Danny

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 30 October 2020 - 12:17 PM

Yes, absolutely.

I did the same thing when I replaced my 25 foot LMR400 UHF-UHF feedline with FSJ4-50B N-Male N-Male, same length. The heliax I got was factory made. I got mine from eBay as a NIB New Old Stock, I paid 35 bucks for 25 foot with 2 preinstalled trimetal N-male connectors, which are like 29 bucks a pop.

To give you quantitative figures: The antenna feedline connector at the base now reads a near perfect 50.03 Ohms impedance, and the return loss is -38dBm... as expected range now is measured in tens of miles, too, as opposed to the LMR400 which had an impedance of 43 Ohm and a -28 dBm return loss, while not bad, range was at best 10 miles.

There are people here who can also make these cables. I just wanted a factory cable with the datasheet and sweep chart to ensure I wasn't getting a dud.

The keyword on eBay to find a N to N heliax is "PNMNM" if you type that you'll get every cable on eBay that has N-male (NM) to N-male (NM)  There are a ton of listings, just look for FSJ4-50B.

G.

Thanks. I will look on Ebay for this cable. 

I did a keyword search for PNMNM but didn't find FSJ4-50B in any of the 55 results that returned. So I will keep searching each day to see if one appears.

Is this the cable you use for your base antenna? Is yours a 1/2 or 7/8?

#25 gman1971

gman1971

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 30 October 2020 - 03:12 PM

Yes, FSJ4-50B 25 feet. PNMNM . Its about the same thickness of LMR400 and its fairly flexible compared to the LDF4 heliax, which is basically like wrestling with an anaconda...

Attached is a picture of LMR400, left most, FSJ4-50B heliax, center, and LDF4-50A heliax (mini anaconda)

G.

EDIT: What length do you need?

Thanks. I will look on Ebay for this cable. 

I did a keyword search for PNMNM but didn't find FSJ4-50B in any of the 55 results that returned. So I will keep searching each day to see if one appears.

Is this the cable you use for your base antenna? Is yours a 1/2 or 7/8?

Attached Files

#26 Danny

Danny

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 30 October 2020 - 04:26 PM

Yes, FSJ4-50B 25 feet. PNMNM . Its about the same thickness of LMR400 and its fairly flexible compared to the LDF4 heliax, which is basically like wrestling with an anaconda...

Attached is a picture of LMR400, left most, FSJ4-50B heliax, center, and LDF4-50A heliax (mini anaconda)

G.

EDIT: What length do you need?

Probably 75' or even 100' to be on the safe side

#27 gman1971

gman1971

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 30 October 2020 - 06:43 PM

Well, 75' to 100' is a large difference, remember that crimping heliax is not easy without the right tools... I know this b/c I botched it before... with the tool is a lot easier. 

Use a string to find out the exact length, then find the next cable in size.

For a 100' run I think its probably better to ask here, pretty certain others can sell you a 100' FSJ4-50B with crimped N connectors on both ends, and even a sweep of such cable.

G.

• kidphc and AdmiralCochrane like this

#28 kb2ztx

kb2ztx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • LocationEast Coast
  • GMRS Callsign:WQLY948
  • Ham Callsign:KB2ZTX

Posted 02 November 2020 - 07:29 AM

If your going for 100' Id probably move to the LDF and not the FSJ.

• gman1971 likes this

#29 Danny

Danny

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 02 November 2020 - 02:46 PM

Looking closer 75' would meet the needs. I'll keep looking for FSJ4 cable on Ebay. I'm not finding much right now but I'll keep looking. 

#30 gman1971

gman1971

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 02 November 2020 - 03:58 PM

What he said, for a 100 foot run its certainly worth considering LDF (aka. Anaconda coaxial)

If your going for 100' Id probably move to the LDF and not the FSJ.

#31 JohnE

JohnE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
  • Locationthe Empire State

Posted 02 November 2020 - 06:50 PM

https://forums.mygmr...-losses/?p=2165