Midland MXTA26 antenna performance on ansmall car

ljh505

I have a Midland MXTA26 Antenna and Midland MXTX12 Mag Mount i bought from Amazon.

I have a Midland MXT400. I have other issues with 2 repeater channels rp16 and rp20.

So i bought a SWR meter (Gam3Gear Surecom SW-102S).

I have a perfect swr 1.0:1 ratio all across the board.

The issue with the repeater channels is its showing (rp16) 462.575 not 467.575 same with channel rp20.

All other repeater channels showing 467.xxx

I'm reaching out to Midland.

How are you getting the display to indicate frequency and not a channel number? Is the SWR Meter somehow providing the frequency ?

I have a Midland MXTA26 Antenna and Midland MXTX12 Mag Mount i bought from Amazon.

I have a Midland MXT400. I have other issues with 2 repeater channels rp16 and rp20.

The issue with the repeater channels is its showing (rp16) 462.575 not 467.575 same with channel rp20.

All other repeater channels showing 467.xxx

I'm reaching out to Midland.

As I believe you are keenly aware, repeater channels of your radio use two different frequencies. In GMRS, the main receive frequencies for Repeater operation are exactly the same as the main receive frequencies used for Simplex operation. So when you listen on rp20, that is the same frequency as channel 20. That changes however when you press the PTT button. When using rp20, if the radio is configured correctly, it will output in the 467 MHz range. Since you have a SureCom 102 meter, I believe you should be able to see that higher frequency on the display. Perhaps you are not seeing that, and that is why you are indicating you have a problem.

For what is is worth, my GMRS and Amateur repeater-capable radios always display the Rx frequency only when setting and switching channels (when radio is set for frequency display mode). The moment I press the PTT, the radio display switches to reflect that actual frequency being transmitted. Perhaps there is a setting in your midland that will allow the same thing.

Michael

WRHS965

KE8PLM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I added the pictures to my post, channel r15 and r16 repeater you can see the frequency when i transmit on the SWR meter.

Yeh, the bottom image looks incorrect for the channel 16 repeater operation. Should be 467.575, not 462.575.

Michael

WRHS965

KE8PLM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is the MXT400 a digital radio?  I seem to remember it is.

Curious, same reading if you remove the Squelch Tone?

As a newbie I don't think that is a real issue but I would want to know, if it was mine.  

I don't know what the SWR meter shows (does it automatically switch) when the radio is at a normal cycle of listening but I am assuming the radio is in that mode as there is no BUSY indicator or TX bars showing in the picture.

Can the SWR reflect the two different frequencies as the PTT is operated?  Does it come to rest on the last frequency used? hummm...

I would be rather suspicious of a perfect SWR reading of 1.0:1 across the band. That's something I would expect from a high quality UHF dummy load, and even most of those are not perfect either. I recommend you try another SWR meter.

One thing people forget is test equipment will "LIE" to you, and very convincingly too at times! I have to deal with this from time to time since my position working in engineering R and D I have to provide support for our service group. It never ceases to amaze me when a service tech accepts what his test gears says, even when it makes no sense. 

I have the following in my sig file for my company email.

“There are lies, damn lies, and then there is what you see on your scope’s screen.”

Update:

Roger from Midland reached out to me. I got it resolved it was a setting that was on its the talkaround "TALK" it needed to be off.

Now my r16 and r20 channels are working like a champ. Its now showing the 467.xxx on my SWR meter.

Midland has GREAT tech Support.

If that was not the problem he was going to give me some software to program it. :) :) :)

Update:

Roger from Midland reached out to me. I got it resolved it was a setting that was on its the talkaround "TALK" it needed to be off.

Now my r16 and r20 channels are working like a champ. Its now showing the 467.xxx on my SWR meter.

Midland has GREAT tech Support.

If that was not the problem he was going to give me some software to program it. :) :) :)

Well, I am happy they solved that issue. I am thinking there should some "indicator" on the screen when in the Talk-around mode, I'll have to check that out on mine.

Oh, I see there is no special indicator for, "Talk Around Mode."

Edited to add:

This can be a real issue for new users if they aren't careful during the intial setup of the unit.

TX & TALK modes (features) are right next to one another while scrolling thru the MENU.

If you select the repeater mode of course the rP displays making one think they are ready to talk to repeaters.

Changing the Talk function to ON then keeps you from being able to communicate with any repeaters as you're set up now to talk around them.

I believe Midland needs address this in the Owners Manual (with an explanation that you CAN"T communicate with repeaters with the TALK set to "ON"). Or add a symbole to the screen indicating when the Talk Around mode is set to ON.

• 3 months later...

Going to keep this thread alive a little longer.

I'm running a MXT275 and have just ordered the Midland Universal Hood and Trunk Lip Mount with NMO Connector, and 6M Cable and the MXTA26 antenna to go with it. Vehicle is a 2005 Tundra.  My intention is to mount it on the passenger side hood lip across the hood from my CB antenna which is on the drivers side. I am new to GMRS so please tell me I didn't just waste money on the mount and antenna. I purchased the midland antenna because it is supposedly tuned to the MXT275 and I wouldn't need to buy an SWR meter. (A little naïve maybe)  I may have the antenna mounted in the roof but frankly I'm still a little chicken to cut a hole in my roof. What should I be looking for when I mount the new Antenna?