Proposed GMRS Site Destroyed By Fire

n4gix

An early morning fire destroyed a proposed site for a new GMRS repeater on Sunday. The Hammond, IN fire department was deployed at 2am yesterday and spent 14+ hours battling the blaze. Remains of the 120' tower that was on the top of the building was going to be provided rent free for a local resident's GMRS repeater.

Had this happened a few weeks from yesterday, all of the equipment would have been destroyed in the  conflagration and subsequent collapse of the building. Two of my friends also lost their businesses due to the tragedy. Tom, the owner of the thrift store and "Stitch" who owned a custom automotive upholstery business. The cars stored in the rear of the building were in the process of being re-upholstered by "Stitch." 

Don will have to start his search for a tower all over again... :(

Picture source: https://www.nwitimes.com/news/watch-now-1-hospitalized-after-early-morning-hammond-blaze/article_6efae688-a1c8-592b-8d27-c4441ff96823.html#utm_source=nwitimes.com&utm_campaign=%2Fnewsletter-templates%2Fnews-alert&utm_medium=PostUp&utm_content=4b83434283a50de2cacd01389e5c5e61071d2a11

HeP5I.png

I am sorry to hear about this. Is everyone okay? injuries?

G.

One person came out of the building just as the FD arrived and was taken to the hospital. He was unidentified in the NWI Times, but it was likely either Tom or "Stitch." I'll find out more as soon as I can talk to my handyman, who knows both of them quite well.

Looks bad. Accident? Arson? Negligence?

A man was living in the most seriously affected part of the building (where the wall literally does not exist any more), and reports are he is a smoker, it is he who was taken to the hospital with serious burns. I doubt it was caused by a dropped cigarette though, because they put chemicals that will cause the burning tobacco to extinguish itself if one doesn't draw on it for a minute or thereabouts.