Reached out to Midland about MTX400

Deebovons

I'm newly licensed to GMRS. I'm reading as much as possible on radios. Eventually, I had questions. So, I reached out to Midland about the split tones along with narrow band issues.

Here's their reply;

Using PC software and the DBR1 programming cable, the MXT400 can be programmed for split tones and the channel bandwidth can be changed. Neither option is available by front panel selection on the MXT400. By default the MXT400 simplex channels are narrow band and the repeater channels are wideband.

MXT400 software:

https://we.tl/t-O77dWlEtqQ

DBR1 programming cable:

https://midlandusa.com/product/dbr1-dual-band-radio-programming-cable/

Thought I'd pass it along.

Hi, just wanted to let you know that the reprogramming software does work.

I was unhappy with my MTX400 being locked in NARROW-BAND mode. it sounded weak compaired to all my other "normal" wideband radios.

The only issue i had was, it seemed that my computer would not recognize the program correctly. The software kept telling me "no connection" . I tried each USB port ( all 8 of them ) and no change. Then my computer did some kind of update to itself and then the programming software began to recognize the radio and the rest was easy !

I am not very computer savvy , I'll admit, but now since i switched all the high power simplex channels to "wide", the radio now sounds great when talking to the other radios.

UHF simplex, no tones, more fun than you think !

Cheers

That is good to know that of you own a Midland MXT400 can be switched to wide band which make is sound so much better.  Thinking Midland was only narrow band caused me to purchase a wide band KG-805G

Jack

Hi, just wanted to let you know that the reprogramming software does work.

I was unhappy with my MTX400 being locked in NARROW-BAND mode. it sounded weak compaired to all my other "normal" wideband radios.

The only issue i had was, it seemed that my computer would not recognize the program correctly. The software kept telling me "no connection" . I tried each USB port ( all 8 of them ) and no change. Then my computer did some kind of update to itself and then the programming software began to recognize the radio and the rest was easy !

I am not very computer savvy , I'll admit, but now since i switched all the high power simplex channels to "wide", the radio now sounds great when talking to the other radios.

UHF simplex, no tones, more fun than you think !

Cheers