Range function in freq mode for Btech GMRS v1

jk06

Question

Hi,

I was provided access to repeaters here in Seattle. When I was in freq mode I hit the scan button and a range field appeared. Do I need to add numbers to the range field?

Also when referring to Tone, is that in reference to the R CTCS and T CTCS?

Finally, I have two frequencies per repeater. Do I add both or one? Very new to GMRS..

Sorry for the loaded questions!

7 answers to this question

It will be easier to use channel mode instead

For example:

Say your repeater is on 462.600

Arrow to REPT17

Say the CTCSS on both input & output is 100.0

Press Menu, then up arrow until you see R-CTCS OFF,

press menu again, up arrow until you see 100.0 HZ, press menu to confirm

Up arrow to T-CTCS OFF, press menu again, up arrow until you see 100.0 HZ, press menu to confirm

You should now be set up to use the repeater

The radio will automatically know the receive & transmit frequencies

and you have manually entered the CTCS tones

If the the repeater uses split different tones for input & output, the steps are the same, 

just select the tones that you need

I ran to this on my 50x1 too, though it doesn't seem to work right. Was looking for a recent post I saw about it, but didn't find it (might've been on the book of faces or reddit).

Doesn't seem to work right on mine, even if I start typing in the vhf range, it jumps and starts scanning uhf. I suspect something left over from when they redid the firmware from the ham versions (50x2)

Down load Chirp for free and program you unit that way much easier and it will make more sense. Look at YouTube videos on how to program with Chirp really simple once you decide to just do it! Order the patch cord for your HT!!!

I would love to use chirp but too many issues trying to work this on my macbook( big sur).  

Down load Chirp for free and program you unit that way much easier and it will make more sense. Look at YouTube videos on how to program with Chirp really simple once you decide to just do it! Order the patch cord for your HT!!!

I just bought a BTech gmrs HT and new to this forum.  Thank you for this infomation and I will follow up.  

It will be easier to use channel mode instead

For example:

Say your repeater is on 462.600

Arrow to REPT17

Say the CTCSS on both input & output is 100.0

Press Menu, then up arrow until you see R-CTCS OFF,

press menu again, up arrow until you see 100.0HZ, press menu to confirm

Up arrow to T-CTCS OFF, press menu again, up arrow until you see 100.0HZ, press menu to confirm

You should now be set up to use the repeater

The radio will automatically know the receive & transmit frequencies

and you have manually entered the CTCS tones

If the the repeater uses split different tones for input & output, the steps are the same,

just select the tones that you need

Follow up question. I was provided two frequencies. 462.500/467.550. Do I need to program both freqs that were provided or just one?

Thanks,

Follow up question. I was provided two frequencies. 462.500/467.550. Do I need to program both freqs that were provided or just one?

Thanks,

Unless you're adding an extra listen only channel, those (I'm assuming they meant 462.550, since 462.500 isnt one of the assigned gmrs frequencies) are already programmed by default as Rept15. You'll just need to set the appropriate tone.