Raptor Liner Roof & Ground Plane

Extreme

Question

Not finding if I posted this earlier.

Will Raptor Liner on the roof of a vehicle change propagation characteristics of a 1/4 wave NMO Ground Plane antenna?  Raptor is not rubber based like many but is poly.  It's posted here somewhere that a molded plastic kayak over the top of said antenna will not cause any problems.

7 answers to this question

Not finding if I posted this earlier.

Will Raptor Liner on the roof of a vehicle change propagation characteristics of a 1/4 wave NMO Ground Plane antenna? Raptor is not rubber based like many but is poly. It's posted here somewhere that a molded plastic kayak over the top of said antenna will not cause any problems.

No, it should not matter.

Next question:

A buddy has an old CJ-6 with fiberglass roof.  Wondering if an 8 x 8" or larger metal plate on the inside, under where we mount an NMO would provide a ground-plane or would it have to be on the outside.. probably same answer as before.  We would ground it to the chassis.

Next question:

A buddy has an old CJ-6 with fiberglass roof. Wondering if an 8 x 8" or larger metal plate on the inside, under where we mount an NMO would provide a ground-plane or would it have to be on the outside.. probably same answer as before. We would ground it to the chassis.

Inside is fine. You could use metal window screen material, an asterisk of aluminum HVAC tape, chicken wire fencing, or any other electrically conductive material. Just make sure the ground side of the antenna mount makes good contact with the ground plane material. Probably have to use a “thick mount” NMO for a fiberglass roof. We do this all the time for ambulances, RVs, etc.

On my CJ7 I screwed the metal to the roof. Did a 12x12 piece as that's what home depot had. After screwed down and hole for mount drilled I rhino lined the top. Unless you looked hard you could not see it. Sold to a buddy and he still uses it on his CJ with a GMRS antenna. I am looking to do the same on the JK top but need to find a brake to ben the ribs in a piece of metal.