omg....o my ground!! help me o wise one!

serrasalmus

Question

so went and got 75ft of #6 bare copper wire to finish grounding my antenna mast and i went and took a look at the home meter and grounding rod and baaammm its not there....i tried todo this inline and im forum dumb or something....

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XEUOBjhlqso4gLoduiAlwjfNxoVqpXLX/view?usp=sharing

so after seeing this im not sure what todo... (3 dots indicating more discussion, hell yea got to use it properly, thanks whoever that was)

here is the way the coax comes out of my room into a Nagoya h-20 arrestor, the ground strap is 1 inch braided tined copper strap. its clamped to a 1/2x8ft copper rod. 2 questions now. should i run the ground from the mast to the rod with the arrestor or run it to the conduit on the power box? i was originaly going to run the mast to station ground then station ground to house but not sure what todo anymore.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CMBJSADjk6MInVXwPwdqLJNBBgd_UnaN/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CMBJSADjk6MInVXwPwdqLJNBBgd_UnaN/view?usp=sharing

6 answers to this question

Your ideal situation looks something like this.

Ground Rod at the base of your antenna mast. The antenna mast connected directly to that ground rod.

Ground Rod outside near where your feed-line enters the premises. Lighting arrester installed near this point and connected directly to that local ground rod.

Ground Rod near your electrical service entrance. That rod connected to the grounding bus bar inside your main electrical service panel using the NEC prescribed grounding conductor size for your service size.

A copper bonding conductor interconnecting all three grounding rods together. The size of the bonding conductor should not be less in size than the NEC prescribed size required from your electrical panel to the main electrical grounding conductor. Larger is OK. This bonding conductor is needed to keep all three grounding rods at nearly constant potential despite climatic changes in soil conductivity.

Hope that helps.

forgot to mention mast is on a chimney mount on a 10ft mast, this is the jpole i built but you get the mounting. the mast is about 4 inches off the roof. so the first run i was going todo was mast to rod outside of radio room where arrestor is. then over to the mess that is the panel area. but not sure what to ground to in said panel area.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1N8UvKdgHwIY-Wv38UbqH7IzbHnkoINu3/view?usp=sharing

forgot to mention mast is on a chimney mount on a 10ft mast, this is the jpole i built but you get the mounting. the mast is about 4 inches off the roof. so the first run i was going todo was mast to rod outside of radio room where arrestor is. then over to the mess that is the panel area. but not sure what to ground to in said panel area.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1N8UvKdgHwIY-Wv38UbqH7IzbHnkoINu3/view?usp=sharing

Got it.

Looks like you have some investigating to do. NEC requires the main grounding conductor to go directly from the buss bar in your electrical panel to your service entrance ground rod so I would expect the rod to be near your main electrical panel, or near your meter. The rod may not be visible above grade as time and dirt may have covered it.

I believe I observed a conduit going down from your meter into the earth. It is possible, although unlikely, that this conduit runs from the meter all the way to your utility power pole or ground mounted transformer. If is stops below grade as I would expect it does, it is possible that the grounding conductor runs from your electrical panel back to and thru the meter box down through the conduit into the earth were it is then terminated to the rod below grade.

An electrician may be needed for a consult on this if you cannot locate it.

Michael

WRHS965

KE8PLM

Where is this green wire running? I see many such green ground wires being clamped to the conduit coming from the electrical mains box. 

HwzAv.png

that is coming from the comcast box, all the green wires are from direct tv and comcast and even the phone goes to the conduit that is going into the main box