SWR testing

Sean WRMH985

Question

I tried searching on the forum and got an error because the search term was not four characters long....?

Are all SWR meters measuring the same thing in the same way? I have one that I have used on my CB and wondering if I can use it for GMRS testing once I install my setup.  Are they specific to each band and is the technique any different?

Thanks for the help!

13 answers to this question

They work the same. One just has the bridge setup for hf or vhf/uhf.

You can sometimes us a 11m cb swr meter for 10m. Really depends if it was designed for that range. A hf swr meter usually has no problem with 11m cb. Since most hf swr meters go up to at least 10m sometimes 6m.

You get what you pay for.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

They work the same. One just has the bridge setup for hf or vhf/uhf.

You can sometimes us a 11m cb swr meter for 10m. Really depends if it was designed for that range. A hf swr meter usually has no problem with 11m cb. Since most hf swr meters go up to at least 10m sometimes 6m.

You get what you pay for.

:blink:  :wacko:  :huh:  :huh:   I don't understand the "11m cb" and "10m/6m" references.  I'm new to the GMRS world and other than setup, swr meter testing and some playing with CB, my practical knowledge is fairly limited.  I just picked up the Technician ham book from AARL but have not read it yet.  Assuming some of what you are referencing is in there?  Can you give me the 1000ft level of what you are talking about?

Thanks,

:blink: :wacko: :huh: :huh: I don't understand the "11m cb" and "10m/6m" references. I'm new to the GMRS world and other than setup, swr meter testing and some playing with CB, my practical knowledge is fairly limited. I just picked up the Technician ham book from AARL but have not read it yet. Assuming some of what you are referencing is in there? Can you give me the 1000ft level of what you are talking about?

Thanks,

He was adding you might be able to use your CB SWR meter for some HF ham radio equipment, and that the principal of how they all work is the same.

My answer stands though. You cannot use your current CB SWR meter for GMRS.

I have this one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075H8FDDR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_094Z4EYM185PWC0QPRFA

But maybe wish I would have bought this one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D86IKIQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_K51F3F82X8Y5HDAQEA7H?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

There are many many other examples. There's a thread on this board somewhere where people are trying to figure out the best reasonably priced one. I'm still watching that waiting for a consensus.

I have this one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075H8FDDR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_094Z4EYM185PWC0QPRFA

But maybe wish I would have bought this one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D86IKIQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_K51F3F82X8Y5HDAQEA7H?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

There are many many other examples. There's a thread on this board somewhere where people are trying to figure out the best reasonably priced one. I'm still watching that waiting for a consensus.

You get close to a nanovna in price. Two different functions. For tuning I prefer the Nano Vna.

I just ordered an rs70 for the cb. For real-time monitoring. However, I wanted as a on the fly reference. The rs50 is the vhf/uhf version.

If it weren't a mobile install I would of done a swing needle.

The nano vna looks like something I don't want to mess with, regardless of price. I have a feeling OP was looking more towards the simpler end of the spectrum as well.

Nano vna is easy peezy. Not a turn on and good to go device. But close.

Buy it. Buy it... only if you are constantly tweeking or building antennas. The other swr meters you need to provide an input. Aka key up.

Buy it. Buy it... only if you are constantly tweeking or building antennas. The other swr meters you need to provide an input. Aka key up.

I think you just gave the exact reason most people aren't interested. They are not building antennas and are only interested in setting up their antenna on their new radio. Turn it on and go style.

I get that it's much more capable and feature rich for about the same price. Like I said though, for my needs anyways, I don't want to mess with that, regardless of the price. I'm sure it works great for your needs though. Sounds like you really like it.