Morse Code

mitzvah

Question

7 answers to this question

There is a module available that is designed for use with repeaters that can generate morse code. ArgentData ADS-SR1. It has no controls on it as it’s behavior is automatic once programmed. It requires two radios to configure and at least one has to have a DTMF keypad. It has no speaker and no button to trigger the ID. It is designed to be connected to a device with an audio (e.g. radio transceiver). It can also playback a pre-recorded voice version of your call-sign.

c636350f40de23245c203dd7ffe24d4f.jpg

You have me curious, what is your intent? How are you leveraging Voice Memos today? Are you using a text to speech translator now and looking for a way to add CW to the end of your messages? Are you wanting you radio to self ID as an alternative to giving your call sign verbally? Are you building a DIY repeater and want to have it ID?

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

Micheal, I used a Morse code learning program that I entered my GMRS license number and it turn it into a Morse code. I then recorder this to a voice memo app on my IPhone. During my short time listing to GMRS users. I have never heard anyone give there GMRS license number in the English language. But I do hear what I believe may have been call signs given in international Morse code. As I can either give my call sign in English or in Morse code I thought it would be faster and clearer to use Morse code. But I'm also not trying to hide my call sign. With my hearing lost it would be nice if I could store my call sign in Morse code. But it is not a deal breaker. 

On 5/6/2021 at 7:56 PM, mitzvah said:

How can I give my call sign using Morse code? 

I have been using Voice Memos (IPhone), but as I'm hearing impaired i can't hear it 90% of the time.

Is there away to add it to a Btech 50X-1 automatically? 

Thank you for your help. 

Mitzvah,

I am interested in learning Morse Code. Any links to reading materials, tutorials that you can provide would be beneficial. Thanks. 

Mitzvah,

I am interested in learning Morse Code. Any links to reading materials, tutorials that you can provide would be beneficial. Thanks. 

There are loads of apps available use with your smart phone and tablet. They can help you learn to understand it as well as send it.

It is still very prevalent in the amateur community although it is no longer a requirement to get one’s license.

I have ‘Morse-It’ on my IOS devices as both a learning and a decoding tool.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

56 minutes ago, mbrun said:

There are loads of apps available use with your smart phone and tablet. They can help you learn to understand it as well as send it.

It is still very prevalent in the amateur community although it is no longer a requirement to get one’s license.

I have ‘Morse-It’ on my IOS devices as both a learning and a decoding tool.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

Thank you so much WRHS965. I have downloaded the iOS app. I will work on learning it. 

On 7/8/2021 at 1:08 PM, djxs said:

Mitzvah,

I used the Jerry Ziliak Morse Code system quite successfully back in 1995 to get my code up to 20 wpm for the Amateur Extra.

His system teaches you letter, numbers, etc at 20 WPM but uses spacing to start you at 5 wpm and then bring you up!