Base station options

srbecker

Ugh!!! The Wouxun KG-1000G is now up to $369.99!!! That is insane and starting to push my budget.  That being said, what other options are out there that are similar?

BTech 50X1?

I am looking for these features:

• be able to scan other frequencies outside of GMRS (my son loves listening to the fire fighters)
  • Listen to/monitor 2 stations so I can listen to a repeater and my sons GMRS channel simultaneously
  • program with free software like native software or CHIRP.  I prefer not to use Kenwood strictly because of this reason
  • program multiple repeaters using the same frequency but different PL tones - The reason is we camp and I would like to have my home (base) repeaters programmed in, but not have to change those when we go camping to a place that has repeaters using the same frequency.  I would like to just add that frequency to another channel and add the new PL tone

I think the Btech 50X1 is a decent radio from what I have read, BUT it does not do that last bullet from my understanding.  I would assume if my $40 Radioddity could add that feature with a simple firmware update, that so could Btech, but will it ever actually get added?

Is it just smarter to pay the extra $50 and wait 1 month + for the Wouxun?

Any input is greatly apprecaited!

Your understanding is correct; the btech will meet all except that last bullet. For occasional changes, I don't know that I'd have an issue; changing tones is pretty straightforward in the menu. My case with 2 repeaters  in range of base on the same channel with different tones....was a little more frustrating. 

Given that's one of your big wants, the extra time and money may be worthwhile, and that's my only major gripe with the radio. 

Good to know and thank you for confirming! I dont have any locally on the same frequency anymore as there was but one of them moved to an open frequency.  That being said, my biggest gripe would be if I named the repeaters (can you do that?) then when I travel, I either have to program with a computer to change the name, or just leave the name, but change the PL tone temporarily for the trip and deal with it being labeled wrong.  I am not 100% sure that this gripe/issue/feature is worth that much waiting and the extra $120 though.  If the Btech works as advertised and people are happy with it, I am tempted to give it a shot.  It is considered a CCR still in some people's books and based on reviews doesnt transmit near to its advertised power and also has a near useless squelch according to Notarubicon.  Hearing those things make me question if I want to get one or not.  It looks like a sweet radio though with a very useful and feature rich screen! I am so torn.  A lot of people recommending Kenwoods too but I am at a loss with those because most of them do not seem part 95 certified and the ones that are you have to buy used and none of them seem to be able to do any of these features...  

3 hours ago, srbecker said:

Ugh!!! The Wouxun KG-1000G is now up to $369.99!!! That is insane and starting to push my budget.  That being said, what other options are out there that are similar?

BTech 50X1?

I am looking for these features:

• be able to scan other frequencies outside of GMRS (my son loves listening to the fire fighters)
  • Listen to/monitor 2 stations so I can listen to a repeater and my sons GMRS channel simultaneously
  • program with free software like native software or CHIRP.  I prefer not to use Kenwood strictly because of this reason
  • program multiple repeaters using the same frequency but different PL tones - The reason is we camp and I would like to have my home (base) repeaters programmed in, but not have to change those when we go camping to a place that has repeaters using the same frequency.  I would like to just add that frequency to another channel and add the new PL tone

I think the Btech 50X1 is a decent radio from what I have read, BUT it does not do that last bullet from my understanding.  I would assume if my $40 Radioddity could add that feature with a simple firmware update, that so could Btech, but will it ever actually get added?

Is it just smarter to pay the extra $50 and wait 1 month + for the Wouxun?

Any input is greatly apprecaited!

I have a number of commercial Kenwood hand held radios and one mobile. While it did take a bit of searching on the Internet I have managed to find the programming software on line to download. So far I have the OEM software to program the following UHF Kenwood radios.

TK-370G

TK-3160

TK-3360

TK-3140

TK-3170

TK-3173

TK-3180

TK-D340U

NX-340U

NX-820HG (mobile)

One of the nice things about the commercial radios, at least Kenwood with Motorola not so much, is the ability to program in frequencies outside of the official band split specifications. That allows using the radio for both GMRS and Ham Radio's 70cm band, both TX and RX operation, for those that are dual licensed. The purposed built GMRS specific radios typically don't allow this and could be a factor is which radio you select. Many of my radios have GMRS simplex and repeaters programed along with a bunch of Ham 70cm simplex and repeaters too. Just have to remember which call-sign to use depending on the memory channel in use. 8-)

The main problem with using free software like Chirp are some of the radio's features are not supported, or what support there is happens to be buggy. Waiting for Chirp bugs to get fixed, well some never do seem to get fixed. The developer for the module for that particular radio lost interest, doesn't have the time or doesn't have access to a radio to reverse engineer the communications protocol and code plug. Some of the developers are "loaned" radios to use for a period of time then have to return them to the owner(s).

If you want to make sure you have full access to a radio's operational features there is no substitute for the manufacture's software, and this is VERY particularly true for commercial radios.

So the radio I am leaning most towards as far as Kenwood (I also still am considering the 1000g, 50x1, or Midland MXT400 to name a few), is the Kenwood TK-8180-K.  This is part 90 and 95 certified.  What I dont know about Kenwood is the channels.  Does the display only show Channel 1-22 or 1-30?  Can you name the channels? For example, Channel 24 aka a repeater channel of 462.575, can that be renamed to Attica Repeater?  Can I store multiple repeaters on the same frequency but different PL tones?  Can I add PL tones to the simplex GMRS channels? I ask that last question because my sons Retevis came preprogrammed with PL tones on the GMRS channels, so I match mine to that so I can talk with his radios.

Sean, like most "commercial" radios, the display is either the frequency programmed, or a 12 character Alpha label of your choice. With 512 channels split among 128 zones, you won't have any issue with having FAR more than you'll ever need in flexibility. None of this silly "Channel Number" nonsense unless you choose to use them for your Alpha tag of course.

A "Zone" is a way of segregating your frequencies rationally. For example you could have one Zone strictly for GMRS frequencies (which you could label "Channel 1," etc. You could also create another Zone with only frequencies used for another town... 

UHF Mobile Radio, 450-520 MHz, 30W, 512 Channels / 128 Zones, 12 Character Display, Front Panel Speaker, Voice Inversion Scrambler Built-in, Date & 12/24 Hour Time Clock, Ignition Sense

HFvPa.png

I am starting to like this 8180 option!!! I just didnt fully understand them honestly, so I was steered away from them because I thought they were too simple and not feature packed.  This however may just fit my needs honestly!!!  Now I have to find a good one, get a programming cable, and find the software!!! Thanks a bunch n4gix!!!!

12 minutes ago, srbecker said:

So the radio I am leaning most towards as far as Kenwood (I also still am considering the 1000g, 50x1, or Midland MXT400 to name a few), is the Kenwood TK-8180-K.  This is part 90 and 95 certified.  What I dont know about Kenwood is the channels.  Does the display only show Channel 1-22 or 1-30?  Can you name the channels? For example, Channel 24 aka a repeater channel of 462.575, can that be renamed to Attica Repeater?  Can I store multiple repeaters on the same frequency but different PL tones?  Can I add PL tones to the simplex GMRS channels? I ask that last question because my sons Retevis came preprogrammed with PL tones on the GMRS channels, so I match mine to that so I can talk with his radios.

One of the first things I do when thinking about buying a radio I'm not familuar with is go look for any manufacture's brochures. They are a good source listing the radio's main features. For the TK-8180 look here.

http://www.swscomm.com/kenwood/TK-7180_8180.pdf

This seems like a very nice radio.

They are wonderful radios! I have several of them as well as an TK-880-1H and an TK-840(N).

Carefully read and check out the pictures to be sure everything is included: microphone, power cable with fuse(s), mic clip, mounting bracket, etc.

Here is an example of a 'complete' unit:

HFwfo.png

https://www.ebay.com/itm/303837053371?hash=item46be1981bb:g:gG8AAOSwsOBf9Moa

11 minutes ago, srbecker said:

Thank you Lscott!!! If I am not mistaken, I need the -K specifically to be GMRS part 95 certified, correct?  Sorry for the stupid question, still learning the Kenwoods and the suffixes.

That's true. If you don't mind forgoing the Part 95 certification the other band split will work just fine plus gives you full access to the complete Ham 70cm band. I found the other band split I can program my radios down to around 440MHz which covers a lot of the simplex frequencies and the repeater section of the band just fine. Most of the radios you find are the -K type.

The programming software you need is the KPG-89D, which I have since it's the same software used on the TK-3180 hand held radio I have. The version I found, V1.61, has the so-called "engineer's"  key allowing the bypass of any passwords set in the radio and access to a few more features the usual dealer or end user version doesn't allow. The software installs and works fine on Windows 10 as well. You just need to find a programming cable. Some people here have a good recommendation on where to find one.

I completely understand the frequency range and types, but to clarify the part 95.  If I went with the "other" type, I can get full Ham capabilities if and when I get my tech license, however, it will NOT comply with GMRS and part 95, correct?  So in order to stay legal, I need to sacrifice some of the Ham frequencies to get the K type which has the part 95 cert???

Just now, srbecker said:

I completely understand the frequency range and types, but to clarify the part 95.  If I went with the "other" type, I can get full Ham capabilities if and when I get my tech license, however, it will NOT comply with GMRS and part 95, correct?  So in order to stay legal, I need to sacrifice some of the Ham frequencies to get the K type which has the part 95 cert???

Yup, that's the deal. It's really your choice. Most likely the radio's you'll find being sold are the -K type, Part 95 certified, anyway.

On the 50x1: I haven't tried renaming the hard coded repeater channels. You can add more with customized names, but they are receive only.  If you can find a commercial surplus that fits your needs, grab it ?my current base is a surplus vertex standard that is 90/95a certified (under the old set of rules), though it's acting up related to the tones, and almost seems like it's a hair off channel.

To be honest, I never felt like the btech came up short on power, though. With a small 5/8 wave antenna on a piece of sheet metal up in the top of a closet, I can reach a repeater around 60 miles out up on the hill, plus a couple more closer in.