TK880

wrjc901

Question

I'd sworn these could be programmed with Chirp... 

Well NOPE. 
The Lexien 898 was a clone of the TK780/880 so I had a programming cable. 
Hoped it would work, well I run Linux, so with Dosbox, and the dos software, 
Hoped I'd luck out, no dice. Once set and a resister removed can be programmed 
from the front. 
Guess I'll be ordering the proper cable and maybe if I can find it without breaking, 
the bank, purchase the software....  
Destined to be GMRS radios...  
TK880-1 UHF 25w. 

TK880.jpg

18 answers to this question

27 minutes ago, jgillaspy said:

The software is free. Get version KPG-49d v 6.30.

JG

I found it, its dos based, what I was trying, it doesn't like the data cable I got I think, 
Kenwood mics work on the Lexien 898,  so not sure whats up with the data cable/software not liking it. 
Unless the software looks for/id's the cable which it can't do via dosbox I don't think... 

8 minutes ago, wrjc901 said:

I found it, its dos based, what I was trying, it doesn't like the data cable I got I think, 
Kenwood mics work on the Lexien 898,  so not sure whats up with the data cable/software not liking it. 
Unless the software looks for/id's the cable which it can't do via dosbox I don't think... 

There's a windows version too that runs fine on Windows 10 64-bit if you wanted something more modern.

Bite the bullet on a good USB Kenwood programming cable - it'll work on any of their 8-pin mic LMR radios and repeaters; you'll find yourself using it all the time. If you need to use Linux I recommend loading up a VM in virtualbox; works fine as well on this end.

Edited by JeepCrawler98

3 hours ago, wrjc901 said:

The old DOS software likely will only work with a REAL RS-232 port using the 16550 chip.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/16550_UART

DOS software typically programed the ports and other hardware directly. If the real physical chip register doesn’t exist then the software fails. The usual USB to RS-232 emulation cables work only because the software uses the drivers Windows installed. The drivers don’t emulate the physical serial chips.

One other problem with DOS software is the speed of the computer. Timing routines were implemented in software so a computer that runs too fast also will cause problems. Experienced radio technicians are known to keep old slow DOS computers around with real serial port hardware to program old radios when necessary.

2 minutes ago, Lscott said:

The old DOS software likely will only work with a REAL RS-232 port using the 16550 chip.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/16550_UART

DOS software typically programed the ports and other hardware directly. If the real physical chip register doesn’t exist then the software fails. The usual USB to RS-232 emulation cables work only because the software uses the drivers Windows installed. The drivers don’t emulate the physical serial chips.

One other problem with DOS software is the speed of the computer. Timing routines were implemented in software so a computer that runs too fast also will cause problems. Experienced radio technicians are known to keep old slow DOS computers around with real serial port hardware to program old radios when necessary.

Linux is more advanced than ion that regards, and Dosbox has the emulation of a RS232 in the system, so just add config to the port. 
I can't verify the chinese clone of the TK780/880 doesn't have data lines reversed etc. So just get a correct cable. Not like its much money. 
Once feature turned on, panel programming, snip a resistor it can all be done from the front anyway.. 
Thanks, sad part is very few computers in the last decade even have a real serial port anymore. 

18 minutes ago, wrjc901 said:

can't use it without a serial...

Look in the "Disk1" folder inside of the "KPG-49D 4.21" folder after unzipping. You should find a file with the name " Serial Number.txt" open it and then copy and paste it in to the serial number entry area.

There is some interesting info I found a while back on this software. Since I don't have it installed I can't say if any of it works or not.

KPG49D_Notes.txt

Leixen 898 is not a clone of TK-880, not even close. Radios are totally unrelated. Cable might work, though. The software is KPG-49d, as mentioned already in this thread, versions 4.x are for Windows, work just fine in Win10 X64 with USB-to-serial adapter. I have 4.02.

17 hours ago, axorlov said:

Leixen 898 is not a clone of TK-880, not even close. Radios are totally unrelated. Cable might work, though. The software is KPG-49d, as mentioned already in this thread, versions 4.x are for Windows, work just fine in Win10 X64 with USB-to-serial adapter. I have 4.02.

same case, same buttons, same size,  just the Lexien has smaller heat sink, and Lexien uses Kenwood mic pinout. 

Case and size are very different. Leixen is roughly 4 times smaller in volume than TK-880. Button layout may look alike, just like between Motorola and Kenwood mobiles. Kenwood and Leixen radios are generations, and worlds apart. They are as similar as elephant and elephant slug are similar. Just look at the service manual for 880 and pictures of inside of Leixen on the internet.

As an owner of TK-880 you should have service manual, download it from here (for V2.0): http://www.repeater-builder.com/kenwood/pdfs/tk-880-svc-man-rev-e.pdf

19 hours ago, axorlov said:

Well it has to be a data cable issue. 
Off to fleabay and order, one, actually I need two, 
One for the TK880, and another for the Vertex 2200 

Get all these radios working, may sell a couple. Hadn't decided yet that far ahead.. 

Whoop... 
Success. 
Data cable came in today. 
Using Linux, and Dosbox, usb cable I got the TK-880 programmed. 
For whatever reason Wine ran the windows software a couple times 
then crapped out and error crashes... 
Even working with my repeater. 
KPG-49D_v6.30 (DOS) gripped about the age of the radio firmware a bit. 
Couldn't program a home channel, kinda disappointing, Its going in the
wifes Jeep. Wanted that, 
Still have to figure out how if possible to save a couple channels to the 
A/B buttons. 
No reason for groups, so that is now the channel up/down. 
25w radio putting out 18w on high, and 4w on low. 
Now to find Vertex software... 

23 hours ago, JCase said:

I purchased my Kenwood USB cables from bluemax49ers on eBay. If you send him a request immediately after purchasing, he’ll email you the link for the free software download and all for approximately $20. You can’t go wrong.

I ordered two cables from him, and I got the software. 
Thanks.