completely lost on using repeaters

WRJQ927

I have my gmrs license and a pair of WouxunKG-805 radios. I have asked for, and received, permission to use a couple of local repeaters. I have watched a bunch of YouTube videos about repeaters, and I get the general concept. The problem is the frequency numbers I received from the repeater owners don't make any sense to me. One sent me this: "PL Tones (CTCSS): 74.7Hz"  I only see a 74.4Hz option.  Another sent me "DPL 411 for both Rx and Tx. "  When I hook up the radio to the computer to dig into it I can't see anything like 411.

Does anyone know of a good "GMRS Repeaters for Luddite Dumbasses" video that can help me figure out how to make this thing work?  Any help is much appreciated!

Edited by WRJQ927
typo

For starters, 74.7 is not a valid CTCSS tone.  As you pointed out, 74.4 (#3 of 38 possible) is.  There is also a 79.7 (#5 of 38 possible).  The DPL tone is a digital tone.  411 is #51 of 83 possible DPL tones.  Check your manual for selecting the tones.  I have the KG-905G.  Your 805G manual may list all the possible CTCSS and DCS (DPL) tones.

You might be able to scan for the tones on the repeater frequency, but you would need to check your manual.  I know there is a way to do this on my KG-905G, but haven't tried it.

I'll check in a bit and edit if needed, but I believe the menu option you want for DPL is called T-DCS, you can enter R-DCS if you'd like, or leave it off to receive everything on the channel.

edit: yep, T-DCS is what you're looking for to get into the repeater; usually if it's given without the letter, it's assumed to be the normal version of the code (411N) rather than inverted (411i).  

Edited by wayoverthere
verified menu item name.

One thing I would like to point out. Some equipment supports use of non-standard codes (CTCSS and DCS alike). If a repeater is capable of and is actually using non-standard codes but your radio only supports standard codes this means you may not be able to use the repeater well, if at all. Also, the CTCSS and DCS scan function of the radios I am familiar with only scans standard codes, not all possible codes.

While it is most likely that standard codes are actually being used, it is also possible that non-standard codes are be used. If so, perhaps this is being done to limit which folks can reliably use the repeater.

Just food for thought.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

58 minutes ago, WRJQ927 said:

Thank you all for the advice and info.  I will try some of this out as soon as I get a chance!

As a newbie back in Nov 2020, I asked and spoke on the phone with the best repeater in town and he was so nice and walked me through it... Just be humble and ask for help and tell him your confusion and he may have made a typo... who knows my guy did.

MacJack 

1 hour ago, MacJack said:

As a newbie back in Nov 2020, I asked and spoke on the phone with the best repeater in town and he was so nice and walked me through it... Just be humble and ask for help and tell him your confusion and he may have made a typo... who knows my guy did.

MacJack 

Yep, good advice for sure, and that's always been my strategy. Just admit I'm lost and listen up to the people with experience. I have expertise in a few areas, but not this one. Yet. 

john