Weekly Nets and Zillo

Hi guys, 

I'd still consider myself new to GMRS and having a blast every time I'm able to jump on and work a repeater or just make a contact while scanning the frequencies. 

I'd like to partisapate in my assigned NET but nothing is connected as of yet in Michigan. Does anyone know if the Midwest NET is tied in to Zillo that I might be able to participate that way?

Any help would be much appreciated and thank you in advance... 

Rob (in Michigan)

• 1 month later...
On 7/27/2021 at 10:29 AM, WRKV917 said:

Hi guys, 

I'd still consider myself new to GMRS and having a blast every time I'm able to jump on and work a repeater or just make a contact while scanning the frequencies. 

I'd like to partisapate in my assigned NET but nothing is connected as of yet in Michigan. Does anyone know if the Midwest NET is tied in to Zillo that I might be able to participate that way?

Any help would be much appreciated and thank you in advance... 

Rob (in Michigan)

I'm new to GMRS as well (got my license on 8/24).  I looked into linking to the Midwest GMRS Net through Zello as well.  As I understand they only grant Zello access to operators who can connect to a linked repeater site via RF.  The reason given is that they don't want to tie up the repeaters with traffic from ops who can outside the repeater footprints and can only connect via Zello.  I can understand their logic given it would increase traffic and leave less room for folks using their radios.

There are some sites like the Notarubicon GMRS 700 Repeater in San Jose, CA that do allow repeater access via their Zello channel for licensed GMRS ops regardless of location, provided you're mindful of local radio traffic (I try not to transmit when there are a lot of local ops making use of the repeater).

I suspect the reason none of the Michigan repeaters are on the Midwest Net is because there aren't enough yet to facilitate the necessary hops to connect.  I did notice, however, that MyGMRS listed several new repeaters online across the state just this week, and hopefully that number will continue to increase as interest grows over time.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
2 hours ago, Dudley66 said:

Can I use any repeater for GMRS radio callsign WRVL295, Dave

I’m not sure I understand the question so I’ll try to bracket it with enough information to answer your question. Please feel free to correct me if I have misunderstood.

If you are licensed for GMRS and you have received permission to use a repeater, then you can use that repeater.  That’s true of any GMRS repeater.

If your call sign is WRVL295, you are required to use that call sign when using any GMRS repeater.  You identify yourself at the beginning and end of a conversation and at least every 15 minutes if it’s a long conversation. Don’t let that scare you.  Any reasonable effort is probably good enough.  Some people never ID and as far as I know nobody has ever gone to jail or even been fined for it.

I tend to use my call sign too frequently. There’s no need for that either.  I suspect it’s an irritant to other parties but they’ve all been really nice so far. ?