Another GMRS CCR offering from Baofeng - IP67 rated - the UV-9G

WyoJoe

The ARRL has provided a free "RF Exposure Calculator" for everyone to use. It is simple and straightforward:
RF Exposure Calculator (arrl.org)
More information and resources may be found here: RF Exposure (arrl.org)

Love the fact that they have that there. Sure makes station compliance verification easy for simple stations. I see that they even has the ability to send yourself the results in an email so you can add that to your station records.

Oddly enough I had never seen that one before. I have always use other calculators widely available on the net.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

Some good, and some bad. Radio has a good, solid feel to it. Display is clear and pretty much looks like the one on my GM-30. The squelch sucks! The radio came preprogrammed with ctcss tones on every gmrs channel. Why? Also, in narrow band. So, you have to go into the menu and turn off the tone in every channel, as well as turn to wide band in every frickin channel! 

On 8/24/2021 at 11:25 AM, bobthetj03 said:

Some good, and some bad. Radio has a good, solid feel to it. Display is clear and pretty much looks like the one on my GM-30. The squelch sucks! The radio came preprogrammed with ctcss tones on every gmrs channel. Why? Also, in narrow band. So, you have to go into the menu and turn off the tone in every channel, as well as turn to wide band in every frickin channel! 

Got mine a couple days ago. Agree with the better-than-usual quality feel. The squelch is pretty hilarious.

My major issue is I can’t turn off the scanning flag on the NOAA channels. It’s not a menu item on the radio but it is in the software (depending on the channel). Even tried to edit the XML but it mocks me.

Other than that it’s totally useable.

On 8/24/2021 at 11:25 AM, bobthetj03 said:

[snip]  The radio came preprogrammed with ctcss tones on every gmrs channel. Why? Also, in narrow band. So, you have to go into the menu and turn off the tone in every channel, as well as turn to wide band in every frickin channel

Some of these newer radios have software with a "Batch Channel Edit" feature.  I dunno, but maybe yours does too. 

Below is what a popup window looks like I found under "Edit" drop-down menu on my AT.  I have not had the need to use it yet, but it looks handy.

Thomas

batch-channel-edit.jpg