KG-905G aftermarket antenna

Mtnman

Question

14 answers to this question

Welcome Mtnman to the group and GMRS.  This post has info on your question.  I get more distance with this 15.4 inch antenna BUT is long and if you carry your 905G I would stick to what it comes with...   I mounted my and it works well in my Jeep out the windshield and I have the roof off here in WNC where the real NC mountains are joking.  I got mine from https://www.buytwowayradios.com/nagoya-na-771g.html and you want the SMA Female and it says it is in stock.  Call them to confirm that is correct antenna and connection.  

MacJack

Read 

IMG_7332.thumb.jpeg.16ca4d692bb48c4946edc98baf8e59da.jpeg.e2e30f5dc02253f061681f02c9a3e0b3.jpeg

1 hour ago, MacJack said:

Welcome Mtnman to the group and GMRS.  This post has info on your question.  I get more distance with this 15.4 inch antenna BUT is long and if you carry your 905G I would stick to what it comes with...   I mounted my and it works well in my Jeep out the windshield and I have the roof off here in WNC where the real NC mountains are joking.  I got mine from https://www.buytwowayradios.com/nagoya-na-771g.html and you want the SMA Female and it says it is in stock.  Call them to confirm that is correct antenna and connection.  

MacJack

Read 

IMG_7332.thumb.jpeg.16ca4d692bb48c4946edc98baf8e59da.jpeg.e2e30f5dc02253f061681f02c9a3e0b3.jpeg

THE G AT THE END OFTHE NAGOYA 771 G MEANS IT IS TUNED FOR GMRS.  THE AMAZON ONE IS A UHF ANTENNA FOER HAM RADIOS!

7 hours ago, MacJack said:

MacJack

Read 

We’ll be out at the swananoa koa campground (black mountain) in October, I also look forward to riding DuPont and pisgah’s MTB trails. Very much appreciated!

Being able to change the antenna is the best thing about GMRS - over FRS. 

I like the Smiley Super Stick 465MHz telescoping antenna.    https://www.smileyantenna.com/product-p/46510.htm

It can be used either fully retracted (about 5") or fully extended at about 17" and a lot more gain.  The lengths are incorrectly stated on their website.  It is NOT 48" fully extended.

So you can keep it compact most of the time and just pull it out when you need more gain.   I also have the Nagoya 771 and the performance (extended) is comparable but I like that the Smiley can be made compact and still work as good or better than the rubber duck. 

Be sure and check for the proper connector selection here.  https://www.smileyantenna.com/Articles.asp?ID=253

I have a ham radio 70cm "440MHz" band mag mount that I use in the car.  The SWR tests fine on my GMRS. 

Vince

32 minutes ago, OldRadioGuy said:

So you can keep it compact most of the time and just pull it out when you need more gain.   I also have the Nagoya 771 and the performance (extended) is comparable but I like that the Smiley can be made compact and still work as good or better than the rubber duck. 

Be sure and check for the proper connector selection here.  https://www.smileyantenna.com/Articles.asp?ID=253

I have a ham radio 70cm "440MHz" band mag mount that I use in the car.  The SWR tests fine on my GMRS. 

Vince

WHAT I CONSIDER TO BE A VUNERABILITY OF A TELESCOPING SECTION ANTENNA IS THE POTENTIAL FOR DAMAGE WHILE EXTENDED, POSSIBILITIES FOR TO STAY TUNED FOR GMRS AFTER DAMAGE OR REPAIR?

2 hours ago, MozartMan said:

@TOM47

Hi TOM47,

Are you angry at the world? You typing all your posts in ALL CAPS. ?

NO, HAD A STROKE PARALYZED MY LEFT SIDE, NOW HAVE LOUKEMIA AND GLAUCOMA.  SO MISSING PARTS OF WHAT'S ON THE SCREEN AND THE KEYBOARD TOGETHER WITH KEYING USING ONE HAND MAKES MY SPELLING AND CHECKING WHAT I POST EASIER IN UPPER CASE.    SORRY TO GIVE THE IMPRESSIONS OF SHOUTING.

@TOM47

No problem. Sorry to hear that. 

We had one director at my college (now retired) and he was almost and legally blind. He used Jaws to read text himself when he could and also Jaws reading text to him. 

Have you tried any assistive technology? I am sure there is some technology out there that can help you to type and see.

You do have to be careful with a telescoping antenna fully extended but I've never had a problem.  I keep it retracted most of the time until I really need a better signal.

Of course you have to consider your own situation.  That's why I also have the Nagoya 771 antennas.  I choose what's best for each situation. 

But the Smiley telescoping wins 80-90% of the time.  It just works good for me.

Vince

Have 2 KG905G radios, Ordered both of the Nagoya Antennas the 771G and the 72G, Range for us went from3/4 mile to almost 2 miles while testing in our area. YMMV. Going to order a base antenna and get it 30 feet in the air and see what kind of range we can get with the handhelds. When money permits look into getting a mobile or possibly a used Kenwood or Icom.