Repeater question

stockjock

Question

I recently obtained my GMRS license and a Pofung P15-UV, which is an interesting new GMRS handheld radio that I believe is made by Baofeng.  Looks almost exactly like the Radioddity GM-30, but the key layout is a bit different.  So not sure if it's a GM-30 on the outside and something different on the inside or essentially the same radio, albeit with a slightly different keyboard layout.  Let me know if you know.

I'm in the San Diego area and have not been able to locate or use a repeater.  Looks like we don't have many to begin with, which is surprising as we're a good-sized city, but it seems many/all of them require permission.  I did request permission from 3, but have not heard back.

Is there another way to find repeaters to use?  Also, in terms of the CTCSS and DCS codes, do they need to match up with the repeater's codes each time?  Is it necessary to input those for transmit and also receive codes?  I've been involved with radio for many decades, especially shortwave, but this is new to me.

Thank you in advance.

On 8/31/2021 at 11:16 AM, stockjock said:

Thanks.  The range and reception seems pretty good, once I changed all bands from narrow to wide.  Still, I ordered an Nagoya NA-771 antenna to see if that further improves things.

This one below was not listed as a repeater in the mygmrs database, but a comment in reply to a listing, so let me make sure I understand it.

First the comment...

New Socal Free Speech Repeater...
Serving Orange, San Diego,LA and Inland Empire.
Located high in the Cleveland National Forest (4000ft)
462.550 DPL 306 Output
467.550 DPL 306 Input
For mature audiences only...Brought to you by the folks that bring you the L.A. Maga 725...
MAGA 550 ! Loud and big in Socal.

So one would tune to Repeater Channel 1, correct?  The DPL 306 is basically a privacy code, true?  Would some form of CTCSS code be required to potentially access that repeater, and if so, how would one locate it?  Seems if he wants people to use the repeater, he would provide that information, unless I'm missing something.

Also, on a separate note, if anyone figures out whether or not my Pofung P15UV is simply a rebranded Radioddity GM-30 or something different let me know.  Here's the radio in question, for anyone interested, which I've posted as an affiliate link, but that's not why I'm sharing it.
https://amzn.to/2Y7VNlv

i can hit the maga 500 good what about the maga 725 what are the tones

On 8/31/2021 at 11:16 AM, stockjock said:

Thanks.  The range and reception seems pretty good, once I changed all bands from narrow to wide.  Still, I ordered an Nagoya NA-771 antenna to see if that further improves things.

This one below was not listed as a repeater in the mygmrs database, but a comment in reply to a listing, so let me make sure I understand it.

First the comment...

New Socal Free Speech Repeater...
Serving Orange, San Diego,LA and Inland Empire.
Located high in the Cleveland National Forest (4000ft)
462.550 DPL 306 Output
467.550 DPL 306 Input
For mature audiences only...Brought to you by the folks that bring you the L.A. Maga 725...
MAGA 550 ! Loud and big in Socal.

So one would tune to Repeater Channel 1, correct?  The DPL 306 is basically a privacy code, true?  Would some form of CTCSS code be required to potentially access that repeater, and if so, how would one locate it?  Seems if he wants people to use the repeater, he would provide that information, unless I'm missing something.

Also, on a separate note, if anyone figures out whether or not my Pofung P15UV is simply a rebranded Radioddity GM-30 or something different let me know.  Here's the radio in question, for anyone interested, which I've posted as an affiliate link, but that's not why I'm sharing it.
https://amzn.to/2Y7VNlv

Is this repeater on Saddleback (Santiago), Mojeska, Sierra Peak, or Elsinore Peak? Just curious.

On 8/31/2021 at 9:58 AM, stockjock said:

I recently obtained my GMRS license and a Pofung P15-UV, which is an interesting new GMRS handheld radio that I believe is made by Baofeng.  Looks almost exactly like the Radioddity GM-30, but the key layout is a bit different.  So not sure if it's a GM-30 on the outside and something different on the inside or essentially the same radio, albeit with a slightly different keyboard layout.  Let me know if you know.

I'm in the San Diego area and have not been able to locate or use a repeater.  Looks like we don't have many to begin with, which is surprising as we're a good-sized city, but it seems many/all of them require permission.  I did request permission from 3, but have not heard back.

Is there another way to find repeaters to use?  Also, in terms of the CTCSS and DCS codes, do they need to match up with the repeater's codes each time?  Is it necessary to input those for transmit and also receive codes?  I've been involved with radio for many decades, especially shortwave, but this is new to me.

Thank you in advance.

There are several GMRS repeaters in your area. What part of San Diego do you live in?

7 hours ago, stockjock said:

I'm in the Penasquitos area near I-15 and SR-56.

You should look into the North County 675 repeater. The owner will give you permission and the required tone. I was able to get permission some time ago.

It appears that the repeater on Cuyamaca isn't panning out. Also, there is the El Toro 600 repeater but that might be blocked by Palomar. There is/was a repeater on Palomar 725 repeater. I'm not sure if that repeater is still on the air.