Motorola CPS training materials?

Lscott

14 hours ago, gman1971 said:

We shouldn't be posting publicly how to break the password of a TRBO radio. Motorola might not like that... just a word of caution. It promotes people potentially stealing radios.

G.

All the procedure allows is to reprogram the radio. The feature is built into the CPS, it’s not a secret, and it is clearly called “recover”. What it doesn’t do is allow one to read the existing code plug out of the radio. That’s an important point if one gets a radio programed for a trunking system. You don’t want rogue radios on the system. If one had the code plug they would have the info necessary to program other radios. The password function is not there to prevent theft of the radio or it’s use. If you wanted to prevent a stolen radio from being used “on the programed frequencies or trunked system” that’s why there is the “stun” feature.

@gman1971 I would never compare commercial (Moto, Kenwood, Icom, Vertex Standard) to CCR. My comment on antenna being more important is when comparing the very minor differences between sensitivity and selectivity on the same emission type and bandwidth for the commercial brands.

Oddly enough, I tried to make an account with Motorola, and now I'm getting this error message:

Some of the attributes are missing in the Corporate membership directory. Please have OneIT correct your extranet user id entry before continuing the Login process.

Typical Moto, I remember having a hell of a time 15 years ago when I just wanted the driver for my wife's (then girlfriend) Moto Razor phone so I could update contacts with the computer.

@Lscott

Still, admitting these things in public forums could get you in trouble, just saying. I personally decided to purchase the software, 169, considering the amount of radio equipment I've purchased over the years, I figured it wasn't too bad.

@tweiss3

I think Moto is been split into two companies for a while now, Motorola Solutions is supposedly the same as the original Moto from back then.

Wonder if its browser related? I remember Motorola preferred IE back when I opened mine... maybe that's changed. Or perhaps if you are using a VPN its throwing it off.

All I know is that aside from the 1-2 weeks wait time until my MOL account was approved, the application was pretty straightforward.

If you like Vertex, all the software is freely available for download at MOL, again: free of charge!!, and the EVX line of radios in particular is pretty nice... and quite affordable too.

G.

6 minutes ago, gman1971 said:

@Lscott

Still, admitting these things in public forums could get you in trouble, just saying. I personally decided to purchase the software, 169, considering the amount of radio equipment I've purchased over the years, I figured it wasn't too bad.

@tweiss3

I think Moto is been split into two companies for a while now, Motorola Solutions is supposedly the same as the original Moto from back then.

Wonder if its browser related? I remember Motorola preferred IE back when I opened mine... maybe that's changed. Or perhaps if you are using a VPN its throwing it off.

All I know is that aside from the 1-2 weeks wait time until my MOL account was approved, the application was pretty straightforward.

If you like Vertex, all the software is freely available for download at MOL, again: free of charge!!, and the EVX line of radios in particular is pretty nice... and quite affordable too.

G.

What is the MOL website, maybe I'm mistaken on where I need to create an account, but they are frustrating. I was in fact getting it setup to look at the Vertex software. You can PM me if you don't want to post it out in the open.

5 hours ago, gman1971 said:

I see the point. Thanks for the reminder. Ended up typing first and thinking later, not a good combination.

One thing about the hardware for the 6550's and the 6580's. The volume controls don't seem to have a solid "click" for the off position. I can just barely hear it and feel it on several of the radios I have except for a couple which has a good feel to it and makes a distinct click. I'm guessing this is a common issue on these after a period of use? The radios turn on and off OK, volume seems to function fine, just have to watch the display to be sure. I'm guessing it's the case since I've seen batches of volume control pots for these radios for sale on eBay because they need to get replace frequently.  

Yes, that's a weak point on some used/older XPR6550 radios. That, along with a PTT side button that becomes kind of picky about exactly where you squeeze to transmit. The fix for the side button is to replace the entire housing (Motorola doesn't sell the microswitch & flex assembly separately to my knowledge) - or to just use a Remote Speaker Mic to supply PTT.

The volume pot is a difficult repair for a hobbyist, but if you've got skills, it can be done. Before I'd pay someone else to do it, I'd probably look for another radio. That volume pot problem is rare enough that you don't always see it on older units, and even a "soft" pot still has some life left in it if you're not turning it on/off up/down 10 times a day.

Yep, the pot issue was fixed after certain serial #, or TANAPA, don't remember when... but two of my three remaining 6550 have a pretty solid volume pot, but the other one is a bit on the flimsy side...

Agree with Radioguy, just get another radio, unless you have mad soldering skills... so :

G.

4 hours ago, gman1971 said:

MH-700D --- DTMF Back-lit Microphone

MH-25 A8J --- Microphone

BTW, I couldn't find that particular radio on the MOL site, so it must be prior to the Moto/Vertex merger.

G.

Thanks, they don't make the MH-25 anymore, but I read the MH-67 will work, and if its too quiet, there is a capacitor mod. I just picked up a lot of 3 VX2500U, which have part 95 approval, so I can toss them in family members cars for trips this coming year.

57 minutes ago, tweiss3 said:

Thanks, they don't make the MH-25 anymore, but I read the MH-67 will work, and if its too quiet, there is a capacitor mod. I just picked up a lot of 3 VX2500U, which have part 95 approval, so I can toss them in family members cars for trips this coming year.

one of my VX-4200's came with the MH67; works fine, and i haven't had any low volume issues, even in my semi noisy truck.  found a 2 pack on ebay for a semi reasonable price: https://www.ebay.com/itm/123423014109

also found a MH25 listing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/174939795515

9 hours ago, Radioguy7268 said:

Yes, that's a weak point on some used/older XPR6550 radios. That, along with a PTT side button that becomes kind of picky about exactly where you squeeze to transmit. The fix for the side button is to replace the entire housing (Motorola doesn't sell the microswitch & flex assembly separately to my knowledge) - or to just use a Remote Speaker Mic to supply PTT.

The volume pot is a difficult repair for a hobbyist, but if you've got skills, it can be done. Before I'd pay someone else to do it, I'd probably look for another radio. That volume pot problem is rare enough that you don't always see it on older units, and even a "soft" pot still has some life left in it if you're not turning it on/off up/down 10 times a day.

Yeah, one of the radios I have has the flaky PTT button. I seemed to have fixed it by being a bit aggressive by repeatedly hitting it strongly  a few dozen times. Now it seems to be working OK. I suspect the internal contacts get a bit dirty. Getting the contacts to close with a fair bit of pressure for a number of cycles should clean the contacts up a bit. If they get corroded or oxidized there isn't much that can be done.

12 hours ago, wayoverthere said:

one of my VX-4200's came with the MH67; works fine, and i haven't had any low volume issues, even in my semi noisy truck.  found a 2 pack on ebay for a semi reasonable price: https://www.ebay.com/itm/123423014109

also found a MH25 listing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/174939795515

I put in an offer on that MH25 listing, exactly what I need, otherwise I'll bid on it towards the end, 5 days left.

Also, I figured out the software only after I built a Windows XP Virtual Box.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have any personal experience with using one. I've seen a few. Pricing for new runs north of $1000 - and you still need to get it installed.

What are you looking to do with one?   For GMRS use - I'd tell you that you can buy a decent 40 watt mobile for a bunch less than buying a new MVA docking station.  They also take up more dash/console space than a remote mount mobile.

I'm just interested in more information, there really isn't much out there at all. A buddy that works for the local power company mentioned he loves it cause you just toss it in there and still have coms car to car (they get stuck using talk around cause in many of their convoys get out of the state trunked systems range).

I'm just trying to understand the option, its limitations and see if its worth looking into down the road.

Yeah, the big advantage is having one radio that acts like 2 (portable on the belt, mobile once you're clicked into the MVA dock).  When the radios are "subscriber" based, meaning that there's a fee associated with having an ID on the system - or if certain radios get enabled with certain features/talkgroups - that's when it's a lot easier to just have Trooper A plug his portable into Vehicle X when he's driving that. Or do the same when he switches over to Vehicle Z. That way, no matter what he's driving - when he keys up, he's still showing as Trooper A on everyone else's radio.