Repeater listing format

michaelpthompson

New member here, just looked up my first repeaters. Now I have questions The one that seems nearest me says it is a type Members Only (Free). Does that mean members of this site, or is there something else I need to join?

I learned how to program my radio on YouTube. He mentions putting in a Code without which you cannot access repeaters. I don't see that on the listings. There;s something called a Travel Tone, but even then, none is listed. I was able to listen in on a conversation. Are there repeaters that don't require a Code? Further information would be helpful. Thanks.

4 minutes ago, michaelpthompson said:

New member here, just looked up my first repeaters. Now I have questions The one that seems nearest me says it is a type Members Only (Free). Does that mean members of this site, or is there something else I need to join?

I learned how to program my radio on YouTube. He mentions putting in a Code without which you cannot access repeaters. I don't see that on the listings. There;s something called a Travel Tone, but even then, none is listed. I was able to listen in on a conversation. Are there repeaters that don't require a Code? Further information would be helpful. Thanks.

First, welcome to the site!

Most repeaters will require a code (tone); since there are limited channels to use, tones are used to prevent other transmissions and interference from activating the repeater.  If you're signed in, you'll see either a decimal number (such as 141.3hz) which is a ctcss tone, or a 3 digit number, sometimes followed by a letter (such as 023N or 023i), which is a DCs tone.  Travel tone refers to the Open Repeater Initiative, and generally means ctcss tone 141.3hz.

The "members only" thing may come down to their keeping track of who's using the repeater (especially when it's free). That said, it would help to identify a repeater you're looking at so those with knowledge about the specific repeater can chime in.

28 minutes ago, michaelpthompson said:

Front Range - Lookout Mtn. 675

https://mygmrs.com/repeater/2616

I'll leave it open to those with knowledge of the Front Range network, but this looks to be a "keeping track" kind of thing; the Tucson GMRS group does something similar. There's a link on the front range gmrs network page (linked from that repeater listing) to request access;once they verify you have an active gmrs license, they'll either send the programming info (tones) or provide a password to a protected page with the information.

4 hours ago, michaelpthompson said:

Front Range - Lookout Mtn. 675

https://mygmrs.com/repeater/2616

Membership for this group is attained through the Front Range GMRS website, which is linked right below where it says "Click Here for Access" on the repeater's info page.

It's quick and easy to join. Just submit your email address and create a password, then when you submit your info, they'll send a reply showing where to enter your GMRS license number, and that completes the membership/registration process. I just did it, so I could use the network when I'm in the area (typically once or twice a year), and it only took about two minutes.

The Front Range GMRS group maintains six repeaters from southeast Wyoming to southeast Colorado, with coverage extending across much of that area, and even into northern New Mexico.

16 hours ago, WyoJoe said:

Membership for this group is attained through the Front Range GMRS website, which is linked right below where it says "Click Here for Access" on the repeater's info page.

Just right from you and wayoverthere and thank you. It took me quite a while to figure out all the details, but I finally got access to the information. I hope I've programmed it correctly into my radio. I'm hearing conversations here, but I am not sure whether they are on the repeater or local. The instructions I got from a YouTube video told me how to program in a CTCS code, but this repeater apparently uses DCS codes instead, and separate ones for transmit and receive.

35 minutes ago, michaelpthompson said:

Well, I must be doing something right, I just spoke with a guy 465 miles from my house.

It certainly sounds like you got it working correctly. 465 miles is pretty good considering that I assume you're in the middle of the linked repeater coverage area (given the repeater in Golden that you were trying to connect to). How was the other guy connecting to the system? Zello?

• 2 weeks later...