Out with my new Wouxun 20 watt mobile radio.

mitzvah

Question

19 answers to this question

Are you using carrier squelch or tones on the receive side of the radio? If using carrier squelch, what level setting are you using? Try the radio with no tones programmed into the Rx side of any channels and then set the squelch level to 1 to see if it makes a difference. Check the SWR on the antenna you’re using with the radio to make sure there is nothing going on there.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

3 hours ago, MichaelLAX said:

Mitzvah: Do you still have the Anytone AT-779UV?  Here are some tips:

Some Operational Tips:

Open up the Ham 2 meter and 70 cm bands to transmit on the USA version:

1) Turn off the power.  

2) While holding down the V/M button, turn on the power.  Use the Up and Down arrow keys to change from the GMRS setting on the display to 136-174 MHz; 400-470 MHz and now power down.  

3) When you power back up licensed operators can now transmit on the GMRS channels and the 2 meter and 70 cm Ham bands. 
----------------------------------------------------------------

Giving a Channel an alphanumeric name without using a computer:

1) Go to the appropriate Channel

2) Push the FUN button and using the V/M and MAIN buttons to go through the Menu items until you reach Function 29: DSPCHANNEL and using the Up and Down arrow buttons, select NAME. Push the FUN button to exit the Function menu.

3) Push the FUN button and using the V/M and MAIN buttons to go through the Menu items until you reach Function 12: CHANNEL NAME.  Using the Up and Down Arrow buttons, scroll through the list of 1-0, A-Z and a-z to find the first letter.  When you do find it, push the MON button to confirm that character and move to the 2nd position.  Repeat as necessary until up to 8 characters are entered.

4) When finished push the FUN button to exit the Function Mode.

Programming a repeater channel without using a computer:

1) Switch to VFO mode (from Channel Mode) using the V/M key

2) Using the number keys on the mic, enter the repeater's output frequency

3) On the mic, push FUN then 9 repeatedly until the proper split (+ or - or blank for Off) appears above the frequency.

4) Press the FUN key on the Radio and use the V/M and Main keys as an up/down to get to function 10:Offset.  

Use the Up and Down arrow keys to set your offset split, such as 5.00000MHz or 0.60000MHz (you can hold down the Up or Down key to have it continuously change). 

Once you get to the proper offset, push the FUN key again.

5) Press the FUN key on the Radio and go to Function 01:T-CDC and use the Up and Down keys to find the proper transmit PL Tone.  

Use the same method to optionally set the proper receive PL Tone, if necessary, on Function 02:R-CDC (or Function 03: RT-CDC if both tones are the same)

6) You can rotate through High, Medium and Low transmit power using FUN and 0 (zero) on the mic.

7) Save to the first open channel by pushing Fun and UP on the microphone (or then use the UP and DN keys on the mic to scroll through the available channels, with empty ones saying NULL

? Save to this channel holding down the "MON-*" key on the mic and you are done!

Use DCS Digital Tones:

Go to desired channel
Press FUN on mic
Press 1 on mic
Go to menu 1 using V/M or Main key on mic
Press number 1 on mic to cycle to 000 N display for menu 1
Use up and down on mic to scroll to code corresponding to desired DCS code. 
List is in the instructions.
Use V/M or Main to go to menu item 2. Repeat selection process
Press DIL on mic to exit.

New Radioddity DB20-G CPS software V2.02
1. Change the default bandwidth from Narrow to Wide.
2. Address the bug that "when repeater TX frequency change, RX frequency automatically match"

For the Love of God, I'm so total tired of playing with the anytone radio. If you would like this radio it is yours, if not i will be using it in a Drop Test video. 

Greg

14 minutes ago, mitzvah said:

For the Love of God, I'm so total tired of playing with the anytone radio. If you would like this radio it is yours, if not i will be using it in a Drop Test video. 

Greg

xxxxxxxxx@gmail.com,

Thank you!

I just sent you an email; you can now edit yours out, so that the robots do not spam you!

9 hours ago, mbrun said:

Are you using carrier squelch or tones on the receive side of the radio? If using carrier squelch, what level setting are you using? Try the radio with no tones programmed into the Rx side of any channels and then set the squelch level to 1 to see if it makes a difference. Check the SWR on the antenna you’re using with the radio to make sure there is nothing going on there.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

Setting the squelch to level 1, would apply to all cannels?

I'm trying to get on Not a Rubicon 700. It list DPL/DCS transmit tone of 271 or D271N with a recieve ton of 073 or D073N. But my wouxun radio wont dial in those numbers at least from the the TX - DTC menu   

I believe the radio should allow you to dial in DCS Codes of D271N and D271I (where the last digit is the letter ‘I’). Note that the letter ‘N’ standards for ‘Normal’ and the letter ‘I’ stands for ‘Inverted’.

I do not know what codes are required for the NotARubicon 700 repeater so I cannot say if the codes you have are correct or not.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

1 hour ago, mitzvah said:

I'm trying to get on Not a Rubicon 700. It list DPL/DCS transmit tone of 271 or D271N with a recieve ton of 073 or D073N. But my wouxun radio wont dial in those numbers at least from the the TX - DTC menu   

You need to be out in the Northern IE/Eastern LA County to hit that repeater. 

D271N

Ranchino Repeater a/k/a Notarubicon

11 hours ago, mitzvah said:

I should be able to hit it from 3500 ft up in the Angles Naion Forest. My fav stop is facing southeast (210 east/15 north). ?

Height (and direct line of sight coverage) is EVERYTHING. so let us know the results of your attempt to hit the Ranchito repeater from up there!

I like to listen in and communicate on that repeater, out of its RF coverage area, with its link to the Zello app on my iPhone, which works really well!  Other repeaters are also similarly linked!

Lastly, I would like to thank you, Greg, for your kind donation to me last night of the Anytone AT-779UV mini-mobile radio.  I already have one in my EV and now I will enjoy it in my shack, instead of the UV5Rx3 that I use now for Ham 2 and 1.25 meters and 70 cm, GMRS, FRS and MURS.  It's 18 watts up to my Comet tri-bander on my roof will increase my coverage nicely.  

Thank you again and others should check out Greg's YouTube Channel for his description of the difference between Wideband and Narrowband GMRS FM coverage:

Wideband vs. Narrowband

I particularly like his fast food reviews! ?

Stopped the Corner Cottage for my BK burrito and a little GMRS time. Had my wouxun 20 watt mobile setup and WOW super static on all channels unless volumm set at #1. As I'm getting my power from the cigar lighter (car engine is on) I wonder if that is where the static is coming from. I was even getting static on my Ht Radioddity GM-30.

Going to try getting power from a Jackery power box to see if that is a fix. 

10 hours ago, MichaelLAX said:

Height (and direct line of sight coverage) is EVERYTHING. so let us know the results of your attempt to hit the Ranchito repeater from up there!

I like to listen in and communicate on that repeater, out of its RF coverage area, with its link to the Zello app on my iPhone, which works really well!  Other repeaters are also similarly linked!

Lastly, I would like to thank you, Greg, for your kind donation to me last night of the Anytone AT-779UV mini-mobile radio.  I already have one in my EV and now I will enjoy it in my shack, instead of the UV5Rx3 that I use now for Ham 2 and 1.25 meters and 70 cm, GMRS, FRS and MURS.  It's 18 watts up to my Comet tri-bander on my roof will increase my coverage nicely.  

Thank you again and others should check out Greg's YouTube Channel for his description of the difference between Wideband and Narrowband GMRS FM coverage:

Wideband vs. Narrowband

I particularly like his fast food reviews! ?

My channel is dietxanadu (type it into search bar)

21 hours ago, mitzvah said:

Stopped the Corner Cottage for my BK burrito and a little GMRS time. Had my wouxun 20 watt mobile setup and WOW super static on all channels unless volumm set at #1. As I'm getting my power from the cigar lighter (car engine is on) I wonder if that is where the static is coming from. I was even getting static on my Ht Radioddity GM-30.

Going to try getting power from a Jackery power box to see if that is a fix. 

I had one of their BK burritos last week, curious if the problems your are having are just that radio or is it a problem all around. I want to get one for the rv instead of using the HT. I have a KG-1000G in the Jeep, which i like but did not want to go with that much radio for the less used rv

I am very impressed with my Pofung P15UV HT clone of the Radioddity GM-30, especially when I install one of those "771" type antennas to it (there is a hex screw at the base of the ducky that once loosened will allow you to unscrew off the existing antenna; but you need SMA male, instead of the usual Chinese SMA female).

I had spoken with Buytwowayradio tech support about the static and they said to set the squelch to 5. I did this and went out today and had the same problen on all 22 channels and 8 repeater channels. I did hear CX but everything else is static, so I'm sending in for them to look at it. Going to fire up my Btech 50 watt tomorrow and see what I can get.