Midland petitions FCC for waiver to allow data Tx on non-handheld radios

n1das

Found this interesting item in today's FCC Daily Digest:

Released: 2021-10-12. WIRELESS TELECOMMUNICATIONS BUREAU SEEKS COMMENT ON REQUEST BY MIDLAND RADIO CORPORATION FOR WAIVER OF CERTAIN GENERAL MOBILE RADIO SERVICE RULES. (DA No. 21-1269). (Dkt No 21-388). Comments Due: 2021-11-12. Reply Comments Due: 2021-11-26. WTB. Contact: Thomas Derenge at (202) 418-2451, email: Thomas.Derenge@fcc.gov. DA-21-1269A1.docx DA-21-1269A1.pdf DA-21-1269A1.txt

I would agree. Allowing any type of automated GPS updates will kill channel capacity even if you've got just 5 or 10 high power units reporting GPS location every 30 seconds. I haven't looked deeply enough at the rules - but is the FCC requiring units to monitor the channel prior to transmitting their "brief" data burst?

Automated location updates on repeater channels would be a disaster. I can see a point to allowing units to update automatically once every 10 to 15 minutes - or alternatively, tagging on to the beginning or end of a voice transmission like a PTT ID.

2 hours ago, Radioguy7268 said:

I would agree. Allowing any type of automated GPS updates will kill channel capacity even if you've got just 5 or 10 high power units reporting GPS location every 30 seconds. I haven't looked deeply enough at the rules - but is the FCC requiring units to monitor the channel prior to transmitting their "brief" data burst?

Automated location updates on repeater channels would be a disaster. I can see a point to allowing units to update automatically once every 10 to 15 minutes - or alternatively, tagging on to the beginning or end of a voice transmission like a PTT ID.

If there is no requirement for a BCL, busy channel lockout, that would be worse, automatic interference. I also think you wouldn't want this on a repeater channel. That has the potential to block a frequency out over a very wide area if the repeater was activated.

If were are going to tolerate GPS updates why not have it restricted to one channel only leaving everything else open for normal traffic? In the Ham world there are several frequencies in the band plans set aside specifically for packet and APRS. Keep it on one of the 8 low power, 1/2 watt, FRS channels. They are sort of useless for GMRS as it is.

The FCC has clearly not thought this out and is relying on the assertions of the manufacturers. I don't believe there is a BCL lockout requirement. Only a duty cycle that is insufficient given the multitude of radios that might appear on channel in an urban area or national park.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

On 10/12/2021 at 10:23 PM, n1das said:

Found this interesting item in today's FCC Daily Digest:

Released: 2021-10-12. WIRELESS TELECOMMUNICATIONS BUREAU SEEKS COMMENT ON REQUEST BY MIDLAND RADIO CORPORATION FOR WAIVER OF CERTAIN GENERAL MOBILE RADIO SERVICE RULES. (DA No. 21-1269). (Dkt No 21-388). Comments Due: 2021-11-12. Reply Comments Due: 2021-11-26. WTB. Contact: Thomas Derenge at (202) 418-2451, email: Thomas.Derenge@fcc.gov. DA-21-1269A1.docx DA-21-1269A1.pdf DA-21-1269A1.txt

File your public comments folks!

Comments Due:  2021-11-12

Reply Comments Due:  2021-11-26