What is the latest AT-779UV firmware version? (split CTCSS tone not working)

Dave805

Question

I just picked up an Anytone AT-779UV and found it doesn't correctly handle a split CTCSS tone, even though the programming software will let you program one, and the radio itself will display the different CTCSS tone value for TX and RX. My FW version display is 2.30.

I don't see any FW updates on the Anytone website.  Anyone know what the latest FW version is for this radio and if it solves the split PL tone issue? 

Thanks

Edit: I see this radio is sold by Retevis and Radioddity also.  Would be interested in hearing from others if those radios have the same bug.  The TX CTCSS setting works okay,  but if the RX value is different, the squelch won't open.  If I hit the MON button, I can hear the repeater so I know I'm getting in.

Edited by Dave805
more detail

15 hours ago, Dave805 said:

I just picked up an Anytone AT-779UV...

Congratulations, Dave - I enjoy this radio so much, I now have two: one in my car and one in my home! I believe it is the best combination of features and efficiency for its price.

A new myGMRS friend not too far away from me, picked up the Radioddity DB-20G version.

How do you determine the firmware version?  Please link me to the Anytone website: the only version I find, Anytonetech, does not even list our radio in its support section.

Do you live in Ventura County, CA (805)?

While I may have this bug also, I avoid this problem by not programming any Tone into the Decode section of each channel. I only put in a Tone to Encode, so that the repeater recognizes my transmission.

Decode tones are only really needed if you are getting non-repeater transmissions on the same channel and you do not want them to open your squelch.

Try this in the meantime and see if you can hear your local repeater.

anytone.jpg

I'm not sure what the issue was for me, but with the programming software, I found that the Tx frequency would change to 462.xxx whenever I tried to enter a tone for some of the extended "repeater" channels. If I didn't enter a tone on those channels, the Tx frequency would stay at 467.xxx as I wanted it to. I resorted to leaving the tone off when I send the program to the radio, then I just enter the tone from the radio instead.

I haven't figured out what the problem is for me, but I have figured out how to work around it. In my case, it may have something to do with running the software under Wine in Linux, rather than running it natively in Windows.

I mention this problem only so you can look to see if your software is acting similarly, and is thus causing the problem you're experiencing.

Joe: what do you mean by "extended repeater channels?"

I find that, once programmed by my CPS, if I go to a Channel and make a change from the radio itself, such as change the CTCSS tone, it only remains changed during that usage.  Once I change channels, and return to this channel, I find the original CPS programmed tone again.

Does this comport with your usage experience?

Hi Michael,

To check the firmware version, hold the V/M button down when powering it up.  That will enable you to change the frequency range of the radio, but it will also display the firmware version.  To exit, turn it off.  I've read that if you change modes, you'll delete all the memory contents, so unless you have a backup, don't accidentally change ranges and then power it down.

And yes, to experiment, I set the decode CTCSS tone to 'none' and it worked.  The problem is on my commute, there's local interference that will break squelch.  Also at work there's enough hash in the building to break squelch.  For repeaters that have the same TX and RX PL tone, I don't have any issues.

Yep, I'm in Ventura, and here's Anytone's website with downloads.  I only see programming software listed though.

http://anytone.net/download.html

Hi Joe,

I'm running Windows, using the 2.01 programming software, and don't have the issues you are seeing.  The software seems to work for me a-ok, just the radio isn't correctly applying the decode PL tone.

I'm going to create 2 channel entries.  One where the PL tones are set up correctly for the split PL the repeater requires, and another channel where both the TX and RX are set to the same RX PL tone.  Then I'll set the AT-779UV such that the main channel is one of these, and the alternately watched channel is the other.  That should pin it down that the radio is indeed not applying the decode CTCSS tone correctly.

Edited by Dave805
clarification

14 hours ago, MichaelLAX said:

Joe: what do you mean by "extended repeater channels?"

I find that, once programmed by my CPS, if I go to a Channel and make a change from the radio itself, such as change the CTCSS tone, it only remains changed during that usage.  Once I change channels, and return to this channel, I find the original CPS programmed tone again.

Does this comport with your usage experience?

By "extended repeater channels," I mean those beyond channels 23 - 30. It is on those channels that I was having issues.

I haven't had the radio change the programming as you describe. It only happened to me with the software changing the programming. It's held the tone when I've programmed it, so I'm not having the same issue that you are describing.

On 10/15/2021 at 5:14 PM, Dave805 said:

My FW version display is 2.30.

My FW version is 2.26; I have to check the FW version in my car, too.

Do any of your Ventura County GMRS repeaters get you into the San Fernando Valley?

What are the details of the split tone repeater you use?  Maybe I will program it into my Anytone and take a drive up to Ventura.

I have Bob Yuan at Let's Get Ready where I purchased my Anytone, checking with them about firmware updates.

9 hours ago, MichaelLAX said:

Do any of your Ventura County GMRS repeaters get you into the San Fernando Valley?

What are the details of the split tone repeater you use?  Maybe I will program it into my Anytone and take a drive up to Ventura.

I have Bob Yuan at Let's Get Ready where I purchased my Anytone, checking with them about firmware updates.

Not sure. I can hear a repeater from I think the Thousand Oaks area (channel 22) but I have not tried to transmit into it.  Up in the Santa Barbara area (where I work), they're looking to re-activate a GMRS repeater with a split PL tone for everyday use but also disaster preparedness.  The Thomas Fire, mudslide, and now the Alisal fire, natural disasters seem to be on the rise.  Separately, I have a ham license and three of the repeaters up there use split PL tones.  It's those repeaters that showed my radio has a problem with split PL tones.  Normally on my commute, there will be morning chatter to listen to, but once I put this radio in my car, it was quiet.  I can't run with no PL tone on receive as there is interference, or repeaters in the LA area on the same freq but different PL tone that will break squelch. 

Thanks for asking Bob about updates.  I've bought a number of DMR radios from him.

7 minutes ago, Dave805 said:

Separately, I have a ham license and three of the repeaters up there use split PL tones.  It's those repeaters that showed my radio has a problem with split PL tones. 

Can you give me the repeater information (by private message if you prefer) so that I can take a drive up there and see if my Anytone duplicates your problem?

8 hours ago, MichaelLAX said:
22 minutes ago, MichaelLAX said:

Can you give me the repeater information (by private message if you prefer) so that I can take a drive up there and see if my Anytone duplicates your problem?

I'll send you a PM

Hi Michael, I did some more testing today, even brought my laptop and programming cable with me to try some stuff.

So I've determined that one of the repeaters I was having a problem with was due to an error on my part - I screwed up the TX freq.  Once I fixed that, I can get into that repeater just fine.  That's the repeater I send you above (the 145.160 repeater).

That said, I still cannot receive from this repeater, but I can key it up. [link deleted]

So if you're going to try driving north to see if you can hit it, use the repeater above. 

Other repeaters with splits are working okay on the AT-779UV.  The 145.180 repeater in the link, works fine with my Anytone 868 HT, and my Btech UV-25x4.

BTW, Andy from Anytone got back to me yesterday asking for my programming file and details on the repeater I'm trying to use.  He's in China so there will be delays in getting his reply.

Dave

OK: I made the same Input Freq error! hahahaha

I have added the Santa Ynez repeater into my Anytone twice: once as both tones and second as only a Tx tone, so I can compare.

Maybe I can make the drive this afternoon.  I'll let you know.

Keep us up to date when Andy from Anytone responds to you.

Here's the settings as shown on the 779UV for one of the problem repeaters.  My TYT TH-8600 and my Anytone 868 HT both work fine with the same settings.  And yes, I'll update this thread when Anytone writes back.

image.png.33f23b82074212816e103f9bf8c143b1.png

OK: I made the same Input Freq error! hahahaha

I have added the Santa Ynez repeater into my Anytone twice: once as both tones and second as only a Tx tone, so I can compare.

Maybe I can make the drive this afternoon.  I'll let you know.

Keep us up to date when Andy from Anytone responds to you.

On 10/15/2021 at 5:14 PM, Dave805 said:

I just picked up an Anytone AT-779UV and ...

Part I

I have version 2.28 and 2.29 and my friend has 2.33 on his Radioddity DB20G

Part II

Bob Yuan responded with software from Anytone, which I will try to attach here (but I have not yet installed or examined these files) and that the latest Firmware is 2.30.

The Anytone CPS is version 2.01, but I note that Radioddity's version of the CPS is 2.02; I have used both versions, but I do not know what the differences are.

I would suggest that you have the latest Firmware, and otherwise wait to use the Firmware updater until all other options are exhausted as doing it incorrectly can brick radios! I  am not updating mine.

Part III

I drove out to Farmer Boys in Thousand Oaks for dinner prior to expecting to drive out to Santa Barbara.

I was happily surprised at the top of the Camarillo Grade, to be able to hear and transmit to the Santa Ynez repeater, so at the bottom of the Grade, I got off the 101 at Pleasant Valley Rd exit and parked in an adjoining lot.

I was able to transmit into it with the Tone of 127.3; and I could hear it when I activated the Tone of 146.2. Without this tone my squelch would not open.

Part IV

I note from the four photos you posted above:

A) Your Transmit Tone is 131.8; my Tone is 127.3.

B ) On my Anytone: Menu Item 05:SINGAL is SQ, not CT/DCS like on yours.  Maybe this is making the difference. 

GOOD LUCK! and report back your results.

AT-779UV UPGRADE.docx at779_UV_500_v2_30_2_VOX 2021_4_28.zip AT779UV_Setup_2.01.exe QXCodePro_Update_Setup_1.05.exe

Part I

I have version 2.28 and 2.29 and my friend has 2.33 on his Radioddity DB20G

Part II

Bob Yuan responded with software from Anytone, which I will try to attach here (but I have not yet installed or examined these files) and that the latest Firmware is 2.30.

The Anytone CPS is version 2.01, but I note that Radioddity's version of the CPS is 2.02; I have used both versions, but I do not know what the differences are.

I would suggest that you have the latest Firmware, and otherwise wait to use the Firmware updater until all other options are exhausted as doing it incorrectly can brick radios! I  am not updating mine.

Part III

I drove out to Farmer Boys in Thousand Oaks for dinner prior to expecting to drive out to Santa Barbara.

I was happily surprised at the top of the Camarillo Grade, to be able to hear and transmit to the Santa Ynez repeater, so at the bottom of the Grade, I got off the 101 at Pleasant Valley Rd exit and parked in an adjoining lot.

I was able to transmit into it with the Tone of 127.3; and I could hear it when I activated the Tone of 146.2. Without this tone my squelch would not open.

Part IV

I note from the four photos you posted above:

A) Your Transmit Tone is 131.8; my Tone is 127.3.

B ) On my Anytone: Menu Item 05:SINGAL is SQ, not CT/DCS like on yours.  Maybe this is making the difference. 

GOOD LUCK! and report back your results.

AT-779UV UPGRADE.docx 13.25 kB · 0 downloads at779_UV_500_v2_30_2_VOX 2021_4_28.zip 92.22 kB · 0 downloads AT779UV_Setup_2.01.exe 4.2 MB · 0 downloads QXCodePro_Update_Setup_1.05.exe 1.62 MB · 0 downloads

Thanks Michael - but it's the other repeater on Santa Ynez Peak that I'm having a problem with.  The 145.160 repeater I can now get into since I screwed up the TX offset.  The 145.180 repeater is the problem.

I'm at work now so I can actually hit it.  When I transmit, I can open the repeater just fine, but the squelch won't open though I do show I'm receiving a signal as the green LED near the volume control is lit, and the signal strength bar on the LCD is showing a signal, but that bar is gray, not green.  Audio is silent unless I turn off CTCSS decode, or hit the MON button.

There's a net at 8AM that will allow me to take a video.

image.png.788276a6f294858c53ed6d02b32c0adc.png

On my Anytone: Menu Item 05:SINGAL is SQ, not CT/DCS like on yours.  Maybe this is making the difference. 

Sorry, I got confused about which Santa Ynez repeater! hahaha

I guess maybe another drive for me today!

Did you try this change from work?

52 minutes ago, MichaelLAX said:

I guess maybe another drive for me today!

Did you try this change from work?

I did try it in the video I took, but that is the same as turning receive decode off.

Here's the video for the AT-779UV during this morning's net

AT-779UV receive PL tone issue

and here is my TYT TH-8600 during the same net

TH-8600 same repeater, no issue with PL tone receive

21 minutes ago, Dave805 said:

QI did try it in the video I took, but that is the same as turning receive decode off.

Here's the video for the AT-779UV during this morning's net

AT-779UV receive PL tone issue...

I think I just saved a drive back up to Santa Barbara...

As in the video when you change Menu 05: SINGAL from CTC/DCS to SQ, like in my radio, you can hear the net!

You are saying that this is the same as turning receive decode off, but the true test will be if it allows the Santa Ynez repeater audio through, but cuts out the audio of the interlopers on the same channel.

I believe it will solve your problem!

UPDATE: It appears that I can only change the Menu 05: SINGAL setting (SQ or CTC/DCS) when there are split tones (which is illustrated on the LCD screen by a "CT" notation on split tone repeaters).

IMG_3321.jpg

IMG_3322.jpg

IMG_3323.jpg

Thanks Michael - that does solve the problem but it's a workaround for the CTCSS tone not decoding on receive correctly.  The squelch will now also open for any other person/repeater on the same receive frequency.  Stations down south do break in occasionally, and impressively so when there's ducting going on. (I'll even pick up the San Diego repeater sometimes!)

The question is, why is the radio having a problem with this?

28 minutes ago, Dave805 said:

The squelch will now also open for any other person/repeater on the same receive frequency.  

Are you speculating this result, or have you actually tried talking on Santa Ynez with local interference and still receive both?

Remember, all the settings of your first three photos should remain the same and only Menu 05: SINGAL (sic) should be set to SQ for this test.

Alright new test:

Do you have access to another transceiver such as a Baofeng UV-5R?

I do and I have confirmed the following on my Anytone set to the programmed split tone Santa Ynez repeater channel 145.18 and my Baofeng set to transmit on 145.18:

First test:      Baofeng set to no Transmitting Tone; SINGAL(sic) set to SQ - I can hear my Baofeng audio on my Anytone

Baofeng set to no Transmitting Tone; SINGAL set to CTC/DCS - I can see RF (white) on the Anytone meter, but I hear no audio

Second test: Baofeng set to Transmitting Tone of 146.2; SINGAL set to SQ - I can hear my Baofeng audio on my Anytone

Baofeng set to Transmitting Tone of 146.2; SINGAL set to CTC/DCS - I can hear my Baofeng audio on my Anytone (This is the result I would                             expect if I drove up to Santa Barbara and it should cut out local interference)

Third test:     Baofeng set to Transmitting Tone of 131.8; SINGAL set to SQ - I can hear my Baofeng audio on my Anytone

Baofeng set to Transmitting Tone of 131.8; SINGAL set to CTC/DCS - I can see RF (white) on the Anytone meter, but I hear no audio

I think your Anytone has a problem:

It is only related to Firmware if the newer updated version 2.30 of the Firmware you have installed causes the problem, since I have the older v2.28 on the particular Anytone in my shack today.

I think the answer must come from Andy at Anytone.

Please keep me posted!

I'll give that a try that tonight (using another radio).

And yes, I've had the squelch break from other repeaters elsewhere.  It's less of a problem on this repeater than others. 

FWIW, all my programming has been through the PC software.  That setting is 'smart'.  If I set the decode freq to none, the choice in what you circled is only SQ.

35 minutes ago, Dave805 said:

FWIW, all my programming has been through the PC software.  That setting is 'smart'.  If I set the decode freq to none, the choice in what you circled is only SQ.

Yes, thank you for pointing that out and in my version of the CPS software (v2.00; as well in the Radioddity versions 2.01 and 2.02) the only option available is called "Carrier."

But it was not "smart" in my original programming for the split tone repeater Santa Ynez as it manually entered the default of Carrier (SQ) and I had to manually change it to CTCSS/DCS.