Information on the Motorola XPR8400 repeater ?

JCase

Question

Greetings all,

I’m trying to find out information on the Motorola XPR8400 repeater. Specs state 100% duty cycle at full power (40 watt). Does anyone have any experience with this model ? Any known issues etc. ? As always, any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

JC

6 answers to this question

The XPR8400 is decent, but it is nothing more than two XPR mobiles in a box. The transmit brick has an extra set of fins attached to aid in cooling, but I wouldn't call it 100% duty cycle at high power.  I wouldn't even call it 100% duty cycle at 25 watts, but I wouldn't be scared to run one for GMRS at 25 watts for 2 or 3 hours of transmit time per day.

If you're looking for something smaller that will truly run 100% duty cycle at high power with  digital capabilities, check out the SLR5700. I have yet to replace one of those because it burned up. 

If you want something for GMRS that's similar in price to the XPR8400 and is truly 100% duty cycle - check out the analog MTR2000. 

The XPR is built like an old school radio. Its basically got 2 mobile radios inside with special firmware. Alot of times they burn up the TX radio so guys swap them around. All the ones we had went thru an external PA to keep the radios from. I'd probably grab the R1225 before an  XPR for GMRS. The only + the XPR will allow is DMR on Ham and Commercial channels.

Hey Radioguy7268 & kb2ztx,

Thanks for replying and enlightening me. I was hoping for better news but it’s all good. I’ll continue to keep my eyes open for a good, used MTR2000 at a decent price. It would seem that the majority of owners know just how good they are and the prices for used units stays up there. I already own three of the R1225, one RKR1225 and a Hytera RD982 but it’s not advisable to run any of the 1225’s at full power so running all of them at 25-27 watts after the duplexers and the Hytera at 43 after duplexer. Wanting a reliable 100% duty cycle @ 50 watts and the only make & model that I’m aware of that has a great track record, is the MTR2000 but I’ll never know for sure unless I ask those folks like yourselves, who have the knowledge.

Thanks again for your replies and information. Stay safe

JC

the 8400 is more than adequate for GMRS use. I can't begin to tell you how many I have out there in commercial service that see pretty much 100% tx time at least during daylight hrs. 

have there been failures, yes there have but that is true of any radio that sees continuous  use. I have had a string of MTR failures in the past 2 months. had 4 supplies, 3 PA's go south and 2 that just software fails w/no recovery.

nothing is fool proof.

JE

Had several XPR8400 repeaters in use myself for a corporation that responded to oil spills. Worked well, but had an issue with the fan going full speed, often damaging the fan. This was able to be rectified and adjusted. They also allowed for mixed mode use, which was great for a corporation that planned to go to 2 slot TDMA Trbo in the future.

As for MTR2000-MTR3000's, I have also had several power supplies fail on these models of repeaters in the past few months. Parts are hard to find, and Motorola is ending support soon of the MTR3000's. The MTR3000 is also a transition model that could do analog conventional and 2 slot TDMA, much like the XPR8400, which also came with that feature. If you never plan to use digital mode, the XPR8300 may be a cheaper and more available option.

As others mentioned, the current SLR5700 (50 watts) and SLR8000 (100 watt) repeaters are a considerably better option, but at new prices. If it were me and digital was never expected to be used, I would look for a slightly used XPR8300 repeater for GMRS.