Did I program this GMRS Repeater correctly in Chirp?

WROJ697

Question

https://mygmrs.com/repeater/4727

I’m trying to program the above repeater into Chirp, and I thought I had it correct, but I’m not sure because I didn’t hear a tone or anything after I transmitted. This is what I programmed: 

FREQ.: 462.575

Name: WRCP705

Tone mode: Tone

Duplex: +

Offset: 5.0

If a column wasn’t mentioned above, I left it blank. 

Did I do that correctly or should I change something?

Edited by WROJ697
Formatting

6 answers to this question

1 hour ago, WROJ697 said:

I’m trying to program the above repeater into Chirp, and I thought I had it correct, but I’m not sure because I didn’t hear a tone or anything after I transmitted. This is what I programmed: 

That looks like it's mostly correct. What I didn't see mentioned was a CTCSS tone in the "tone" column. That needs to be included to open the squelch on the repeater.

It should be in the form of "141.3" or something like that. Normally, as long as you have permission to use the repeater, you can get the correct tone to use from the repeater owner (if it isn't listed as an open repeater with the tones published).

Tone mode means that your radio will be using the same squelch code when transmitting and receiving, which is most typical. I am with WyoJoe, I do not see an actual tone value in your list of settings. Do you have one entered, but forgot to list it here?

Something to confirm also is if the repeater you are trying to use actually sends out a tone. If your radio is configured to require a tone on receive but the repeater does not send one out then you will not hear the repeater’s transmission.

For clarity, you will never hear the squelch code. The squelch code tones (both CTCSS and DCS) are below 300Hz and filtered out of the radio’s audio. Also, repeaters do not always send out a courtesy tone (beep) at the end of a transmission, so unless you have prior knowledge/experience that a particular repeater sends out one, do not assume one will be present.

Once you feel very confident that you have your radio settings correct, and you still cannot connect to the repeater, get in your vehicle and drive very close to the repeater and try again. Many repeaters have bigger mouths than they have ears. Which means you can hear them a great distances but you must be much closer to actually open it up to use it. I am dealing with one of those right now.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

1 hour ago, WROJ697 said:

Hey guys,

Thanks for the prompt replies. I did include "141.3" in the tone column. Attached is a screenshot of Chirp. Does that look right? Or should I have done:

Tone Mode: ToneSql
ToneSql: 141.3 

?

chirp-repeater-screenshot102821.jpg

If I'm remembering chirp correctly, either will work. The current setup will give you the tx tone for repeater, and your receive will be carrier squelch (no filter, hear everything dependent on your squelch level).

Changing it to tonesql will apply the same tone to both transmit and receive (so you only hear signals carrying the tone).

If I'm programming a preset for a specific repeater I do usually use tonesql to filter out any simplex traffic.

Than

8 hours ago, wayoverthere said:

If I'm remembering chirp correctly, either will work. The current setup will give you the tx tone for repeater, and your receive will be carrier squelch (no filter, hear everything dependent on your squelch level).

Changing it to tonesql will apply the same tone to both transmit and receive (so you only hear signals carrying the tone).

If I'm programming a preset for a specific repeater I do usually use tonesql to filter out any simplex traffic.

Thanks for the tip! Still no luck on my end, so I’m either too far away or no one is on the repeater when I try it. There’s no tone after I transmit so idk if I hit it or they just don’t have a beep set. 

2 hours ago, WROJ697 said:

Than

Thanks for the tip! Still no luck on my end, so I’m either too far away or no one is on the repeater when I try it. There’s no tone after I transmit so idk if I hit it or they just don’t have a beep set. 

Even if there's no beep, if you got in, you'll often hear a blip of static back when you unkey, which is referred to as a "squelch tail".

No one on is a definite possibility...you may try getting closer to the listed location of the repeater, though those may not be dead on exact, but towers are kind of a giveaway.