Problem Receiving with Wouxun KG-1000G

ElPaso

I bought thee new Wouxun KG-1000g for use as a base station.  I now have it set up and everyone reports hearing my transmission as 5/9 BUT I cannot hear anyone when they respond to my calls.  I can hear/see that others are responding to me but there is so much noise/static that I cannot barely, if at all, make out any words that are spoken.   This appears to be happening on all channels,  Has anyone else experienced this problem and, if so, does anyone have any idea what I may be doing wrong?

I bought thee new Wouxun KG-1000g for use as a base station.  I now have it set up and everyone reports hearing my transmission as 5/9 BUT I cannot hear anyone when they respond to my calls.  I can hear/see that others are responding to me but there is so much noise/static that I cannot barely, if at all, make out any words that are spoken.   This appears to be happening on all channels,  Has anyone else experienced this problem and, if so, does anyone have any idea what I may be doing wrong?

I own the same radio and us it as a base also.

Do you own any other compatible radios available to use for comparison with, perhaps radios that you could use to do you own communication experiments with the KG-1000G?

Could you explain your base setup to us? What kind and size of supply, type and length of coax, location, elevation and type of antenna?,

Are you communicating simplex, or duplex through a repeater when you have your issues.

Do you live in or near a big city, or out in the country?

All of these are just fishing questions that might lead to a nugget of insight that may allow us to help you.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

Michael:

thank you for your quick response.  In response to your questions:

1.  Yes I have two Tera handheld GMRS radios.  In my home experiments, I can communicate (transmit and receive) between those two radios clearly and with no static/noise.  Also, I can receive a clear/strong signal on both of my Tera handhelds when I transmit using the KG-1000G.  However, when I transmit using one of the Tera handhelds, I hear a lot of noise/static on the KG-1000G and can barely make out any words spoken into the Tera handheld.

2.  Regarding my set up: the KG-1000G in located in my shack on the second floor of my house along with my other radios. I have just acquired a Comet CA-712EF  Antenna but don’t have it up yet.   Until that is set up, I am using a Wouxun MNO    Mobile antenna mounted outside on a tripod about 5 feet above my flat roof about 20 feet from the KG-1000G connected with an LMR 400 coax cable.  For power, I am using an Astron 50 Amp linear amplifier.

3.  All of my testing has been simplex as I have not found any GMRS repeaters in my area.

4.  Our City has about 700,000 inhabitants but I live in a residential area with no large structures nearby.  Also all of our utilities are underground.

Any thoughts you may have will be greatly appreciated and thank you for taking the time to help me.

David

WRKU911

KF5RCC

1 hour ago, ElPaso said:

2.  Regarding my set up: the KG-1000G in located in my shack on the second floor of my house along with my other radios. I have just acquired a Comet CA-712EF  Antenna but don’t have it up yet.   Until that is set up, I am using a Wouxun MNO    Mobile antenna mounted outside on a tripod about 5 feet above my flat roof about 20 feet from the KG-1000G connected with an LMR 400 coax cable.  For power, I am using an Astron 50 Amp linear amplifier.

I hope you meant power supply, not linear amplifier. With the KG-1000G, you wouldn't need a linear amplifier, and if using one, it could be the source of the problems you're experiencing.

Do you have a way to run the radio from a battery? That would allow you to determine if your power supply is creating the noise you're hearing. You could also try a different power supply for the same reason.

If not that, I would suspect a bad antenna cable or connection.

You are correct.  I meant linear power supply.  Sorry,,  yes, I have a 40 amp hour Bioenno battery I will try.  Also if that does not solve the problem, I will try a different cable.

by the ay, my power supply is plugged into an MFJ rfi filter but I will still try the battery connection.

thanks for the suggestions.

@ElPaso on the surface it sounds like perhaps a defective radio. But there is more to try.

One item is to confirm that receive and transmit frequency are in-fact correct. Consider switching the radio to VFO mode, or at least switching to the mode where channel number and frequency are displayed simultaneously. When receiving, is the displayed frequency correct for the GMRS channel you are intending to use?
Does the frequency remain unchanged when you key the radio? On simplex both should be the same.

Do your handhelds experience any level of noise/static like the 1000g or are they perfectly clear?

Have you performed a factory reset since you began experiencing the issue? I have recent experience with another Wouxun radio model that had strange noises and static until a factory reset was performed.

I like the idea of trying the battery only operation as already suggested. I like the idea of taking the KG-1000G outdoors, perhaps a 100’ or more away and seeing if there is any change.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

In addition to MIchael's suggestions above, since the radio has dual receivers, have you tried using both the A and B sides of the radio? Is the problem common to both sides? If not, it would suggest an internal problem with one side of the radio (or perhaps a problematic setting), but if so, it could still be internal to the radio, or it could be an external problem (antenna, etc.).

All are great ideas.  I will try all of them.  By the way re the handhelds, no they are crystal clear both when I communicate between them and when I transmit via the KG- 1000G.  It is only the receive function on the KG-1000G that has the static/noise issue.

thank you everyone for these very helpful suggestions.  I will try all and will report the outcome.

david

• 1 year later...

You Tube has a video on this problem and what he discovered about the problem, You should check the video out, hope it helps.

In Part 1 we start the building process and installing the equipment, in Part 2 I discuss the testing and technical side of what we

• 1 year later...
On 10/28/2021 at 7:30 PM, mbrun said:

I own the same radio and us it as a base also.

Do you own any other compatible radios available to use for comparison with, perhaps radios that you could use to do you own communication experiments with the KG-1000G?

Could you explain your base setup to us? What kind and size of supply, type and length of coax, location, elevation and type of antenna?,

Are you communicating simplex, or duplex through a repeater when you have your issues.

Do you live in or near a big city, or out in the country?

All of these are just fishing questions that might lead to a nugget of insight that may allow us to help you.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

i am having the same issue right now, just started doing it. did you have any luck finding problems? and repairing it.