Alaska GMRS Users or Networks

If you are up in Wasilla the ER repeater can't hear you due to Mt.Baldy. It blocks the signal. Think of the coverage circle on the map as more of a Semi Circle.

I attached a Nautel Radio Coverage Map that is fairly accurate.

If GMRS had more of a formalized user group up here I am sure we could arrange to get a repeater at one of the wide area sites like Mt. Baldy, Site Summit, or Grubstake Mountain.

Screenshot_20211106-133815_Drive.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The main 625 repeater is "off" as it ran low on power from all the "abuse" I was putting it through. While that is off and charging I am thinking about putting up the second RT97 tonight near Mt. Baldy to see how it works with that national net. Just gonna drop it on the ground somewhere with a battery and roll up J-Pole stuck in a tree. 

Hi guys thought I'd say hi to the fellow Alaska GMRS guys. Just started in the GMRS world for communication in the local Anchorage area though I'm from Eagle River. My brother in law wanted to sell me on getting a HAM license but figured I'd start with GMRS in my Jeep. So hoping to hop on the E.R. repeater and hopefully hearing some traffic. Channel 20 has had some traffic, but otherwise its been pretty quiet.  Hope to hear from you guys and thank you WRFP for setting up repeaters that's super cool and handy.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/28/2021 at 7:33 PM, AKDrifter said:

Hi guys thought I'd say hi to the fellow Alaska GMRS guys. Just started in the GMRS world for communication in the local Anchorage area though I'm from Eagle River. My brother in law wanted to sell me on getting a HAM license but figured I'd start with GMRS in my Jeep. So hoping to hop on the E.R. repeater and hopefully hearing some traffic. Channel 20 has had some traffic, but otherwise its been pretty quiet.  Hope to hear from you guys and thank you WRFP for setting up repeaters that's super cool and handy.

Nice! Ive been hoping for more gmrs people up here, it's practically radio silence on the peninsula except for spernard builders supply or the odd snowmachiners with a rugged radio. So where are you on the 19 or 20 travel channel debate?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 1/9/2022 at 9:41 PM, Tyeandjeff1979 said:

Nice! Ive been hoping for more gmrs people up here, it's practically radio silence on the peninsula except for spernard builders supply or the odd snowmachiners with a rugged radio. So where are you on the 19 or 20 travel channel debate?

I noted that a lot of the Alaska Off-Road Facebook group tends to use Channel 20. It seems to be a popular channel in the Knik River Public Use Area as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw a youtube vid of some guys from Anchorage or eagle River 4x'n using channel 20 last month,  now that you mention it. I'll have to do some scanning a bit more and see if I can find the popular channels around the peninsula. 

Are you still using the same tones on the repeater? Did you go up and fix it or did it just get sunny enough to come back on?