Repeater help.

stwings

Question

Hello all,

I have been trying to access some local repeaters here in my area (MI).  I have a Midland MXT115, a Motorola MS350R, and a Baofeng UV-5X.  I have confirmed that all my PL tones are correct and the freq offsets are correct as well.  I haven't received any responses to my radio checks so I tried to radio check myself by having multiple radios with me (usually in the truck) to monitor my transmission.  The problem is when I key up any one of those radios I don't get any voice transmissions on my other radios that are monitoring.  When I let got of the PTT I do hear the squelch tail on all the radios, but no voice when PTT is pressed.  I'm wondering if because of the close proximity of the radios that the transmit freq is "masking" any reception from the receive freq.  IE transmit freq would be 467.550 and receive is 462.550.  Is this a possible cause of my lack of success with these repeaters?  Thanks in advance.

6 answers to this question

6 minutes ago, Sean said:

When I let got of the PTT I do hear the squelch tail on all the radios, but no voice when PTT is pressed.  I'm wondering if because of the close proximity of the radios that the transmit freq is "masking" any reception from the receive freq.  IE transmit freq would be 467.550 and receive is 462.550.  Is this a possible cause of my lack of success with these repeaters?  Thanks in advance.

Yes, know as desense. 

I agree with Michael that you are likely experiencing  desense on your receivers. With what you describe, it sounds as though the transmitting radio is overwhelming the receiver of the other radios so they are not receiving the signal from the repeater.

If you can separate the radios enough and try again, you would probably hear the signal from the repeater. I would say to turn up the volume on one of the radios and separate it from the transmitting radio far enough so you are just able to hear it when it receives a signal. Then transmit on the other radio and see if it comes through. with enough separation between the radios it should work through the repeater.

The other option would be to have a "family member" (so you can share your license with them) use one radio in one location while you use another radio in another location and try it. Again, with enough separation between the radios, you should have success.

On 11/12/2021 at 7:29 PM, Sean said:

Thanks you for the responses guys.  I will give it a try.

I'd like to know how everything went for you. I'm having the same problem I tried with two radios separated by 1 mile with my son on the other end and only hearing the squelch tail with no voice on either side. Of course with the proper ctcss code and offset programed.

I'd like to know how everything went for you. I'm having the same problem I tried with two radios separated by 1 mile with my son on the other end and only hearing the squelch tail with no voice on either side. Of course with the proper ctcss code and offset programed.

That symptom can be an indication you are right on the very edge of coverage. Enough to trigger that repeater, but insufficient to deliver usable audio. I recommend getting much closer to the repeater and trying again. If you still have the same issue there is something else going on.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

17 hours ago, mbrun said:

That symptom can be an indication you are right on the very edge of coverage. Enough to trigger that repeater, but insufficient to deliver usable audio. I recommend getting much closer to the repeater and trying again. If you still have the same issue there is something else going on.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

I did try that with both radios very close to a repeater but the other radio was in the vehicle with me. The example given in the previous reply was on the outer perimeter out repeater coverage.