New to GMRS, how do I create a repeater channel with RX/TX and tone (on my Wouxon KG-1000G and KG-935G)?

donmontalvo

Question

12 answers to this question

It's very simple... You need to know what channel the repeater is on, go to that channel, then go into the menus for the TX Ctcss and RX CTCSS (or dcs) and enter them, and you're done..

If you want to create a new, custom channel, it's a PITA on the radio, but super-simple, almost self-explanatory using the software - just fill in the blanks basically.

1 hour ago, OffRoaderX said:

It's very simple... You need to know what channel the repeater is on, go to that channel, then go into the menus for the TX Ctcss and RX CTCSS (or dcs) and enter them, and you're done..

If you want to create a new, custom channel, it's a PITA on the radio, but super-simple, almost self-explanatory using the software - just fill in the blanks basically.

@OffRoaderX Thanks, I wasn't sure I wanted to tamper with the settings for a built in repeater channel. So I tried to create a new one.

Unfortunately I don't have a PC...I'm a Mac user, so I had to do this on the handheld radio. #hangsheadinshame

Does this look right?

1. Looked for the closest repeater (LEARN South).
  2. Sent the repeater owner (shield1751) a request for permission to use his repeater.
  3. I searched the frequency reference list for the Input/Output frequencies used by the repeater:
    • Output 462.700 [CTCSS 136.5]
    • Input 467.700 [CTCSS 136.5]
  4. Found that Repeater Channel 21 matches those frequencies.
  5. Select Repeater Channel 21 on the radio.
  6. Select CH-ADD to clone the Repeater Channel 21.
  7. Give it a name (#Chester1) and note the new custom channel is 31.
  8. Save it since I'm notorious for losing unsaved changes. :)
  9. With custom channel 31 (#Chester1) selected, set:
    • CTCSS TX to 136.5 Hz
    • CTCSS RX to 136.5 Hz
  10. Save the changes.

Once I get the OK from the repeater owner, I'll test to see if anyone hears me. :)

Thanks for the assist!

Don Montalvo (WRJJ303) Devon, PA

mygmrs-post.png

On 11/14/2021 at 12:08 AM, donmontalvo said:

@OffRoaderX Thanks, I wasn't sure I wanted to tamper with the settings for a built in repeater channel. So I tried to create a new one.

Unfortunately I don't have a PC...I'm a Mac user, so I had to do this on the handheld radio. #hangsheadinshame

Does this look right?

1. Looked for the closest repeater (LEARN South).
  2. Sent the repeater owner (shield1751) a request for permission to use his repeater.
  3. I searched the frequency reference list for the Input/Output frequencies used by the repeater:
    • Output 462.700 [CTCSS 136.5]
    • Input 467.700 [CTCSS 136.5]
  4. Found that Repeater Channel 21 matches those frequencies.
  5. Select Repeater Channel 21 on the radio.
  6. Select CH-ADD to clone the Repeater Channel 21.
  7. Give it a name (#Chester1) and note the new custom channel is 31.
  8. Save it since I'm notorious for losing unsaved changes. :)
  9. With custom channel 31 (#Chester1) selected, set:
    • CTCSS TX to 136.5 Hz
    • CTCSS RX to 136.5 Hz
  10. Save the changes.

Once I get the OK from the repeater owner, I'll test to see if anyone hears me. :)

Thanks for the assist!

Don Montalvo (WRJJ303) Devon, PA

mygmrs-post.png

FWIW, the proposed procedure does not work on a kg-935g

On 11/16/2021 at 5:53 PM, donmontalvo said:

Boy I wish I had a PC, I only have a Mac.

Don't dispair; virtual software is available on your Mac to run Windows for the programming software (both for free and not for free). Plus so far every programming software that requires Windows has worked in Windows XP for me, which is easy to obtain for the least cost.  Although you CAN install Windows 10 and Microsoft will let you run it for free with a few annoying requests to pay for it.

Which Mac OS do you use?

Which Mac do you have?

Go Apple Menu to About This Mac and both questions answers are there:

Screen Shot 2021-11-20 at 1.34.15 PM.png

On 11/20/2021 at 10:38 AM, WRFV646 said:

FWIW, the proposed procedure does not work on a kg-935g

Hmm...worked for me, for the repeater I programmed. My apologies if it doesn't work for you. I reached out to some buddies who walked me through the steps. I'm not an expert on repeaters by any stretch of the imagination.

1 hour ago, donmontalvo said:

Gotta love the "ignore" feature for dealing with trolls. :)

Wow, let's ask for help and then slander someone that is trying help... How quickly one shows their true colors when faced with a challenge. WTFAY!?!

What a piece of work, shame on you... maybe it's because either you clearly have no clue of what you're doing and have such thin skin that someone asking you to be transparent has triggered a plethora of insecurities, and/or you have some type of personality disorder.

Either way, calling someone a troll, that you don't even know, is highly disrespectful!

Since I've been a member, I've seen Michael help many people here and out in the community, especially noobies like me. His post speak for themselves (I suggest you read them and everyone else, for that matter, before passing judgement and slandering someone else's name).

Michael is eager to share his many years of experience, both as a amateur radio and gmrs operator. What have you contributed?

Michael's knowledge in things Mac, Windows, and others computer/radio related matters has been evident in his proficiency through assisting others within the radio community (again, not just me saying this, but read the many posts for yourself).

Personally, Michael has gone out of way to help me work around many radio and programming issues and I'm sure others can attest to the same thing.

So feel feel to "ignore" me as well, "mr.engineer", because I'm sure "on air" or off, you don't deserve anymore of my time or another stroke from the keys on my Dell.