"Freezing up"

WROA675

Question

Last night I noticed my DB25G freeze up for a few seconds during a rx, it looked like a screenshot with the reception meter bar frozen at the current position and audio dropped off.

It happened again this morning, briefly (been pretty quiet on air)...so I'm not sure the extent of the issue. How's this happen to anyone else? Should I be concerned?

8 answers to this question

8 minutes ago, OffRoaderX said:

Yes, you should be concerned..That behavior is not by design.

Yep, now I'm concerned and will be reaching out to Radioddity.

Tried scanning and found some activity (only on the meter)but not receiving audio at all and even the FM station has no audio now. ?

Haven't been transmitting excessively, this morning only gave out my callsign.

UPDATE:

Plugged in a external speaker (from the DB20 in my car), receives audio, however not if I push the plug in all the way (weird). 

Made contact, both on the repeater and simplex, no transmission issues.

Radiooddity has been contacted so the only thing to do now is wait.

On 11/16/2021 at 11:32 AM, Papatree said:

UPDATE:

Plugged in a external speaker (from the DB20 in my car), receives audio, however not if I push the plug in all the way (weird).

If I'm not mistaken the speaker output on the DB-25G uses a TRRS (tip ring ring sleeve) connection, making the standard plug on most external speakers useless with this radio. If you didn't use a special breakout cable for your speaker, I actually surprised it worked at all. When I tried plugging an external speaker into a QYT KT-7900D (a very similar radio), it locked the transmitter open until I unplugged the speaker.

Update to the update:

Radioddity has sent me a RMA, so I will be returning the unit for exchange.

One one hand, I am relieved to swap it out considering the defect and on the other hand, on the fence about it because the external speaker is working fine. The decisive factor is in the notion that if the internal speaker has malfunctioned, what's next?, and I might not be able to exchange it if something else goes wrong and didn't exchange it now.

That said, my base unit will be off-the-air for a few days until I get the replacement. I will save my settings in a codeplug and reset the unit to factory mode before shipping.

Thank you all for your input regarding this issue and I hope it helps someone else in the future that may experience the same situation.