"Chinese Radios Are Just Junk!"

OffRoaderX

I disagree with the title of the thread.  Are there better options than the CCR's (Cheap Chinese Radio's)??? DUH... But they WILL get you on the air and talking to make the decision if you like this hobby /  radio service before you dump wad's o cash in some Motorola big dollar radio that you make not get your money back out of later.  

The cheap stuff has it's uses.  And if you feel like the a better radio would give you better performance, then you're right.  But at least it's something. 

And I say this sitting on a cache of UHF radios that would just make you MAD at me.  I have a BUNCH of radios,  mostly Motorola CDM, XPR, XTS, XTL stuff.  I think out of the over 50 radios, I have a few Hytera (CCR) and one CP200.  out of 30 handhelds.  And that number may be low.  But those are distribution radios for a handout cache.  Not my primary ones. 

I don't climb the tower with my XTS radio's either because as good as they are, they will not survive a 200 foot fall.  But the XPR 6550's are just fine for that.

My point is that cheapies are still good for something.  If nothing else handing to your kid when you go camping so that if it takes a bath in some river, you are not out much.  Do that to an XTS portable and that's 300 bucks in the drink. 

9 hours ago, WRKC935 said:

And I say this sitting on a cache of UHF radios that would just make you MAD at me.  I have a BUNCH of radios,  mostly Motorola CDM, XPR, XTS, XTL stuff.  I think out of the over 50 radios,

I think my collection is around that too. Mine are mostly Kenwood. I have a few Motorola's and some Chinese ones. I've been looking at getting more digital radios. I have way too many FM ones as it is. I don't have anything for YSF yet, all the other main stream stuff I have, D-Star, DMR, P25 Phase 1, NXDN, in both VHF and UHF models. I've been looking for some dPMR radios but they are almost non existent in North America and are mostly a European thing.