New kg1000g

Maggieandmike

Question

I installed my new kg1000g this afternoon and I am having an issue with the radio.  I direct wired it to my car battery and hooked up a 3” stubby antenna to test the radio. When I turned on the radio I was scrolling through the menu and getting all giddy about my new toy when I realized the only two channels the radio is displaying are channel one and two. I have read through the manual and reset the radio to factory setting but continue to only have two channels.  Does anybody have any idea why it would only show channel one and two?  Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

8 answers to this question

I do not have this particular radio, but until someone with real knowledge of this radio replies to you; I took a look at the manual.

Some radios have a VFO/Channel selector that switches from Channels to a VFO (or "Frequency Mode"), to allow you to program specific frequencies to listen to.  And some radios have a VFO-A and a VFO-B to choose from. Perhaps you are scrolling through two VFO channels.

Also, check out this selection from the manual:

1876027341_ScreenShot2021-12-05at5_17_42PM.png.af0a22c403dc5588545a808aa43f4c9b.png

Screen Shot 2021-12-05 at 5.23.18 PM.png

Maybe post a photo or two of your two "channels."

42 minutes ago, Maggieandmike said:

I have read through the manual and reset the radio to factory setting but continue to only have two channels.

Sounds like there's only two channels programmed in from the factory, even though it states it's "preconfigured with 30 GMRS channels", did you but it new or used? 

Did you program anything into it using the software, yet?

Full disclosure-I don't have this radio either, but I had a different radio once that only came with three channels from the factory and needed to be programmed.

I bought he radio new from buytwowayradio. I have not done anything to the radio but take it out of the box and wire everything. Since my original post I grabbed one of my HT radios and tried to test for signal. I was unable to pick up a signal from the end of a very short driveway with the mobile radio. Something is certainly wrong with my setup.  

The KG-1000G I own boots up to VFO mode after having done a factory reset. The user has to switch it to Channel mode after resetting. For a GMRS radio it should boot up into channel mode not VFO mode. Be that as it may, changing to Channel mode is just a press away by using the #6 (VFO/MR) button on the mic. This needs to be done for both the A and B receivers.

You will know you are in Channel Mode (aka Memory Recall mode) when you see three small numbers ranging from 001 and 999 in the upper right corners of the left and right halves of the display. See image below.

05f97990b0097d2b2180da0180840a91.jpg

Once the radio is reset and in Channel mode, you should have 30 channels available to you for both receivers.

You are not the first on this forum to have been bitten by this issue.

Hope this helps.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

On 12/5/2021 at 7:49 PM, Maggieandmike said:

I installed my new kg1000g this afternoon and I am having an issue with the radio.  I direct wired it to my car battery and hooked up a 3” stubby antenna to test the radio. When I turned on the radio I was scrolling through the menu and getting all giddy about my new toy when I realized the only two channels the radio is displaying are channel one and two. I have read through the manual and reset the radio to factory setting but continue to only have two channels.  Does anybody have any idea why it would only show channel one and two?  Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Maggieandmike.  I use a Heavy Duty  LECODO 12V 24V Replacement Cigarette Lighter Male Plug    to power up my 1000G.  It makes it easier for me to transfer between my vehicles because I don't have to hard wire to the vehicle.  That being said, when I was using one of my lesser quality indoor a/c cig plug adapters to power up my 1000G and computer program it, I was having the same problem.  After lots of teeth gnashing and hair pulling I discovered that when I switched to my high quality indoor A/C cig plug adapter, (and was then getting full 12/14V of power,) my problem was over and I was now getting all 30 GMRS channels, etc......

You might want to run a voltage test to be sure that you are getting adequate power to your unit from your vehicle.  This may not be the issue that you're having but it sure was for mine. 

Please let us know.

Best !

SemperFiGuy, Largo, FL                          

SemperFiGuy,

I also have a Wouxun KG1000G. I was told to hook it up to a car battery, because the radio is too powerful to use a cigarette lighter. Well, like you... I wanted to be able to

transfer this radio between vehicles. I was happy when you posted a link to the cigarette lighter plug, you said works well with your radio.

I just have a question about hooking it up. My Wouxun, came with the cord to run to the battery. Do you just snap the 2 plastic plugs together, and insert the 1 inch or so

bare wires into the clear plastic protective tubes of the cigarette lighter (Black to Black - Red to Red). And then just plug it into the cigarette lighter?

Do you need to solder the wires... or will they stay secure? Any, help from you or other posters would be greatly appreciated. Thank-you, in advance.