Best Mag Mount GMRS Mobile Antenna for Wouxun KG-1000G

SemperFiGuy

Question

Greetings all:

Just trying to get a consensus on what may be the overall best mag mount mobile antenna for my Wouxan KG-1000G.  I have it installed in my Subaru Crosstrek and the roof provides for a very good ground plane.  I am currently running a Genuine Nagoya UT-72.  It seemed to work fine with my Radioddity DB-20G, DB-25G and BTech 50x1, but the Wouxan KG-1000G seems to receive signals that are weak and scratchy and the transmission appears to be somewhat weak as well.  All coming from the same location and the same local repeater.  The radio is installed properly so I'm just wondering if I should consider a better suited roof/mag mount antenna in place of the Nagoya.  All input welcomed and thanks in advance for your time.

Best regards,

Gil from Largo, FL

14 answers to this question

Is it the standard ut72 or the ut72g? The standard isn't quite tuned for gmrs, aimed more toward the 70cm ham band, where the 72g is tuned for gmrs.

That said, I've seen good and bad reviews for Midland's 6db whip, with most of the bad being related to Amazon purchases. I am running their (now discontinued) 3db whip as base with decent success, along with a double 5/8 wave browning uhf that was good swr across both 70cm and gmrs (1.2 or less), and checks in at a little shy of 3 ft long.

For all three, you will need to add a separate nmo mag mount, as they're all nmo bases and (as far as I know) won't fit the Nagoya base.

Greetings all:
Just trying to get a consensus on what may be the overall best mag mount mobile antenna for my Wouxan KG-1000G.  I have it installed in my Subaru Crosstrek and the roof provides for a very good ground plane.  I am currently running a Genuine Nagoya UT-72.  It seemed to work fine with my Radioddity DB-20G, DB-25G and BTech 50x1, but the Wouxan KG-1000G seems to receive signals that are weak and scratchy and the transmission appears to be somewhat weak as well.  All coming from the same location and the same local repeater.  The radio is installed properly so I'm just wondering if I should consider a better suited roof/mag mount antenna in place of the Nagoya.  All input welcomed and thanks in advance for your time.
Best regards,
   Gil from Largo, FL

Best is going to be purely subjective. I cannot say what the best mobile antenna is for you. What I can say is that I have owned and continue to use the Midland 6dBi antenna and its associated Midland mag mount now for 1-1/2 years. It was impeccably tuned for GMRS from the factory and remains that way today. It has held up physically well, including surviving many tree branch and garage door opening hits, and it has weathered two summers and one winter weather thus far and continues to look great. If I were to buy another antenna today I would not hesitate to buy it again. I have no negative comments about the unit I own.

Until recently the Midland was used strictly with a 5w HT and it allowed be to regularly hold conversations using that combination through a few high-profile repeaters at distances of 34 miles and more when I traveling regionally. Recently I outfitted my vehicle to accept my KG1000G. In the two weeks since I have did that I can say that my HT exhibited slightly better reception, but as I had hoped, others have reported I am getting into the repeater better. This can be attributed to the 10-fold increase in output power. When working the fringe of repeaters range, the added Tx power is a bonus.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

10 hours ago, mbrun said:

Best is going to be purely subjective. I cannot say what the best mobile antenna is for you. What I can say is that I have owned and continue to use the Midland 6dBi antenna and its associated Midland mag mount now for 1-1/2 years. It was impeccably tuned for GMRS from the factory and remains that way today. It has held up physically well, including surviving many tree branch and garage door opening hits, and it has weathered two summers and one winter weather thus far and continues to look great. If I were to buy another antenna today I would not hesitate to buy it again. I have no negative comments about the unit I own.

Until recently the Midland was used strictly with a 5w HT and it allowed be to regularly hold conversations using that combination through a few high-profile repeaters at distances of 34 miles and more when I traveling regionally. Recently I outfitted my vehicle to accept my KG1000G. In the two weeks since I have did that I can say that my HT exhibited slightly better reception, but as I had hoped, others have reported I am getting into the repeater better. This can be attributed to the 10-fold increase in output power. When working the fringe of repeaters range, the added Tx power is a bonus.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

Thanks Michael.  You are absolutely correct.  Asking for a consensus is like opening up a can of worms.  Very subjective at best.  I appreciate your reply.  I am going to look into the MIdland.  Just want to be sure this is the correct one:

Midland 6 dB Gain Antenna with Durable Spring Base and NMO Connection - Works with Midland MicroMobile MXT105, MXT115, MXT275, MXT400

by Midland Radio
Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B084BPXNC5/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_5Q4AM2MQGMRQTG10TMYR

I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with the Midland and will certainly look into this.  I need to be a little more "fine tuned" with my KG-1000G.

I truly appreciate your help.

73's.

Gil - Largo, FL

17 hours ago, wayoverthere said:

Is it the standard ut72 or the ut72g? The standard isn't quite tuned for gmrs, aimed more toward the 70cm ham band, where the 72g is tuned for gmrs.

That said, I've seen good and bad reviews for Midland's 6db whip, with most of the bad being related to Amazon purchases. I am running their (now discontinued) 3db whip as base with decent success, along with a double 5/8 wave browning uhf that was good swr across both 70cm and gmrs (1.2 or less), and checks in at a little shy of 3 ft long.

For all three, you will need to add a separate nmo mag mount, as they're all nmo bases and (as far as I know) won't fit the Nagoya base.

Must be the non G version wayoverthere.  Can't find any G designation at the end.  I'll look into that .  Wasn't aware that was an option.  Thanks for your help.

Gil, Largo, FL

13 hours ago, serrasalmus said:

ive had the ut72g and the nagoya 770g with mag base and both are great antennas. only reason im not using the 770g anymore is i got a fender nmo mount and went with a 12ish inch 5/8 over 5/8 

Thanks for the input serrasalmus.  As I mentioned above to wayoverthere, I wasn't aware that the Nagoya 72 had a version with a G designation.  I'm going to see if I can track one down.  Thanks again.

73's

Gil - Largo, FL

Thanks Michael.  You are absolutely correct.  Asking for a consensus is like opening up a can of worms.  Very subjective at best.  I appreciate your reply.  I am going to look into the MIdland.  Just want to be sure this is the correct one:
Midland 6 dB Gain Antenna with Durable Spring Base and NMO Connection - Works with Midland MicroMobile MXT105, MXT115, MXT275, MXT400

by Midland Radio
Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B084BPXNC5/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_5Q4AM2MQGMRQTG10TMYR

I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with the Midland and will certainly look into this.  I need to be a little more "fine tuned" with my KG-1000G.
I truly appreciate your help.
73's.
Gil - Largo, FL

Yes, that is the correct one. Just make sure to order an NMO base to go with it.

Enjoy.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

4 hours ago, SemperFiGuy said:

Must be the non G version wayoverthere.  Can't find any G designation at the end.  I'll look into that .  Wasn't aware that was an option.  Thanks for your help.

Gil, Largo, FL

A quick search finds buytwowayradios has the G version https://www.buytwowayradios.com/nagoya-ut-72g.html

(BTWR seems to be one of the few really pushing the gmrs part of the market forward, arguably even moreso than Midland, imo)

4 hours ago, wayoverthere said:

A quick search finds buytwowayradios has the G version https://www.buytwowayradios.com/nagoya-ut-72g.html

(BTWR seems to be one of the few really pushing the gmrs part of the market forward, arguably even moreso than Midland, imo)

Thanks wayoverthere.  Appreciate the help and the link.  What you linked is not what I own.  I'm a big fan of BTWR.  They help keeping this part of the industry moving forward.  GMRS seems to be garnering more and more support.  Just noticed in my County, here in Florida that some of the schools in the County school system have GMRS licenses and the frequencies and PL Codes are published.

73's

Gil - Largo, FL

6 hours ago, kb2ztx said:

Personally I find a standard NMO quarter wave to the best of all worlds. Its small and can't be seen that well and performs very well in city and country areas. If I need gain I can swap the whip but 99% of the time the 1/4 wave is on the roof. Also dont need to pull it for a car wash.

Thanks kb2ztx.  Appreciate the input.  the 1/4 wave on the roof is convenient in many ways including performance.

73's

Gil - Largo, FL

3 minutes ago, SemperFiGuy said:

Thanks wayoverthere.  Appreciate the help and the link.  What you linked is not what I own.  I'm a big fan of BTWR.  They help keeping this part of the industry moving forward.  GMRS seems to be garnering more and more support.  Just noticed in my County, here in Florida that some of the schools in the County school system have GMRS licenses and the frequencies and PL Codes are published.

73's

Gil - Largo, FL

Glad to help. One nice thing about the nmo mount, for me and my tinkering, is the ability to swap whips on the mount. Most times I run the taller whips, but switch out to shorter stuff (signal stalk or 70cm 1/4 wave for ham, 5/8 wave or 1/4 wave for gmrs) if I have to go in the office or other low clearance location. 

On the rare occasion I take to a car wash, I just pull the mounts off the roof and toss them in the cab till after.