Btech 50X1 Mobile offsets

Guest CyberinTexas

Guest CyberinTexas

Hi yall I have a very straight question. Programming repeaters on Bao HTs usually requires entering offset/dir entered into repeater output freq then PL into repeater input (467....) freq.

I now have BT 50X1 mobile. I have heard that the offset/dir is hard coded to +5 so I am assuming I don't have to do the offset thing any more.

1. Just need for sure answer on this plz

2. What if offset is not standard +5? Too bad so sad?

Thanks!

Guest CyberinTexas

OMG...My ignorance reigns supreme today. In REALLY reading the MANUAL it says in Red Type that Offset and Dir are UNUSED SETTINGS IN GMRS-50X1!

Apologies, disregard.

ps: if you get this stupid question just tell em to RTFM!!!

As you have discovered:

Baofeng HTs, being primarily for Ham radio and repeaters, has to allow for both directional shifts and the different standard offsets for 2 meters and 70 cms, and even non-standard offsets.

GMRS repeater are always 5 MHz UP, so this is always pre-programmed into the software (on Part 95 certified GMRS radios).

Guest CyberinTexas
10 minutes ago, MichaelLAX said:

As you have discovered:

Baofeng HTs, being primarily for Ham radio and repeaters, has to allow for directional shift and the different standard offsets for 2 meters and 70 cms, and even non-standard offsets.

GMRS repeater are always 5 MHz UP, so this is always pre-programmed into the software (on Part 95 certified GMRS radios).

Yes Sir. But being OCD I had to prove it to myself so set my HT to the +5 of a Repeater Ch and PT the mobile...the HT squealed like a stuck pig!

1 hour ago, Guest CyberinTexas said:

Hi yall I have a very straight question. Programming repeaters on Bao HTs usually requires entering offset/dir entered into repeater output freq then PL into repeater input (467....) freq.

I now have BT 50X1 mobile. I have heard that the offset/dir is hard coded to +5 so I am assuming I don't have to do the offset thing any more.

1. Just need for sure answer on this plz

2. What if offset is not standard +5? Too bad so sad?

Thanks!

The other consideration: everything beyond the hard coded 30 channels is RX only, so offsets aren't going to come into play for those because you can't tx anyway.

38 minutes ago, Guest CyberinTexas said:

Yes Sir. But being OCD I had to prove it to myself so set my HT to the +5 of a Repeater Ch and PT the mobile...the HT squealed like a stuck pig!

If you keep your HT programmed to that frequency (with no tone), when using the repeater, if you can hear the other party transmitting through the repeater on both radios, then you can probably successfully transmit simplex to that GMRS repeater user, as well!

Remember that 50 watts simplex is only allowed by the FCC Rules for 462: 550, 575, 600, 625, 650, 675, 700 and 725!

Guest CyberinTexas
1 hour ago, MichaelLAX said:

If you keep your HT programmed to that frequency (with no tone), when using the repeater, if you can hear the other party transmitting through the repeater on both radios, then you can probably successfully transmit simplex to that GMRS repeater user, as well!

Remember that 50 watts simplex is only allowed by the FCC Rules for 462: 550, 575, 600, 625, 650, 675, 700 and 725!

Good point thanks for the tip. My little 5W HT has been very useful for learning the BT Mobile. Gonna keep that kiddo around LOL! The 462 is my primary anyway for now.

• 1 year later...
14 minutes ago, natekal3900 said:

hi- need to porgramn the Btech 50x1 to transmit for repeater gmrs 16 it has off sat frequency. On what page in the manual book. is it 11 or 12or 13or 10 name is jack Iam WRUG488.

Unless they've changed how it ships (which...I don't think so), all you need to do is dial to the channel named "rept16", push the channel knob in (which opens the menu, dial till you find "t-ctcs" or "t-dcs (as appropriate), push the channel knob again to choose your code (more scrolling with the channel knob, and one more push to confirm. Then hit 'exit".

The "rept" channels are all preprogrammed with the appropriate +5.0mhz offset, and unless they've updated the firmware, those preprogrammed (30) channels are the only ones that will allow you to transmit, everything else is receive only.

On 12/15/2021 at 2:48 PM, MichaelLAX said:

As you have discovered:

Baofeng HTs, being primarily for Ham radio and repeaters, has to allow for both directional shifts and the different standard offsets for 2 meters and 70 cms, and even non-standard offsets.

GMRS repeater are NOT always 5 MHz UP. The primary repeater in my area (462.575) has two input frequencies. The standard 467.575 input with a CTCSS tone input sometimes gets a bunch of interference from foreign ship traffic when they are in port and has to be shut down for sometimes days at a time. The other input is on 467.725 with a DCS instead of CTCSS. It's also the only repeater around that uses DCS (at least on one input). Both run at the same time.

3 hours ago, markskjerve said:

GMRS repeater are NOT always 5 MHz UP. The primary repeater in my area (462.575) has two input frequencies. The standard 467.575 input with a CTCSS tone input sometimes gets a bunch of interference from foreign ship traffic when they are in port and has to be shut down for sometimes days at a time. The other input is on 467.725 with a DCS instead of CTCSS. It's also the only repeater around that uses DCS (at least on one input). Both run at the same time.

I think, based on his putting the word “up” in all caps, that he Michael was emphasizing the direction of the split, more than that the shift would be exactly 5 MHz. That’s important because repeaters on some ham bands can be offset in either direction.  

Snaps for doing your research (studying this Forum for helpful posts)! ?

In any event you make a reasonable point that is the exception to the 5 MHz UP rule (if there even is one; it is certainly the custom and some GMRS radios cannot do a different split). I don't have any experience with the Btech 50X1 Mobile, but apparently it is one of those fixed 5 MHz GMRS radios, unless perhaps an updated firmware changed it, as @wayoverthererecently pointed out.

Of course the downside is that using a different input GMRS input frequency, is possible interference to another GMRS repeater on that different input frequency, especially in an urban area such as Tampa.

1 hour ago, MichaelLAX said:

Snaps for doing your research (studying this Forum for helpful posts)! ?

In any event you make a reasonable point that is the exception to the 5 MHz UP rule (if there even is one; it is certainly the custom and some GMRS radios cannot do a different split). I don't have any experience with the Btech 50X1 Mobile, but apparently it is one of those fixed 5 MHz GMRS radios, unless perhaps an updated firmware changed it, as @wayoverthererecently pointed out.

Of course the downside is that using a different input GMRS input frequency, is possible interference to another GMRS repeater on that different input frequency, especially in an urban area such as Tampa.

There really isn't anything local on the 462.725 frequency or it's uplink of 467.725 (the alt input of our 462.575 repeater) so it usually works out. When the conditions are really good I can hit the repeater in Perry Fl on 462.725, a 168 mile trip but it's rare.