Need second set of eyes on repeater list added to my Wouxun KG-1000G

donmontalvo

Good day.

I do not see anything strange about them. I see one repeater (the red one) that appears to be using split-tones, and two that are using DCS.

Is the use of DCS what is throwing you? Is it the use of one CTCSS and one DCS that is throwing you?

While most repeater owners may choose to use CTCSS Tone In and Tone Out, DCS is the equally viable digital alternative to CTCSS, so it is equally viable. Also, some repeater owners do use split tones as it takes more effort to hack into the repeater by those without permission.

I cannot say whether the information is valid, only that it does not look strange.

Let us know your thoughts.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

16 hours ago, donmontalvo said:

I finally borrowed a buddie's PC laptop, and have compiled a list of repeaters in my area...

The fact that you, as an Apple engineer, refuse to run Windows on any of your Macs or purchase an inexpensive PC to run Windows 10 is going to be an ongoing problem every time to want to tweak your Codeplug.

Why not just borrow your buddie’s radio every time you want to use one? ?

On 12/26/2021 at 6:53 AM, mbrun said:

Good day.

I do not see anything strange about them. I see one repeater (the red one) that appears to be using split-tones, and two that are using DCS.

Is the use of DCS what is throwing you? Is it the use of one CTCSS and one DCS that is throwing you?

While most repeater owners may choose to use CTCSS Tone In and Tone Out, DCS is the equally viable digital alternative to CTCSS, so it is equally viable. Also, some repeater owners do use split tones as it takes more effort to hack into the repeater by those without permission.

I cannot say whether the information is valid, only that it does not look strange.

Let us know your thoughts.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

I definitely have a lot to learn on the GMRS side, didn't know there were so many ways to configure repeaters. Almost all of the repeater owners responded with helpful info.

I should mention also, that Latino 625 is for private use only, so I removed it from the list of repeaters I added to my Wouxun KG-1000G and KG-935G.

Both radios skip right past the empty channel, unfortunately I'm unable to just remove the row like you can in Excel.

I should be OK for now. Once I'm in Moab in April, we have a couple sessions planned to get everyone's radio(s) configured.

6 hours ago, donmontalvo said:

Both radios skip right past the empty channel, unfortunately I'm unable to just remove the row like you can in Excel.

This is what is known as "empty row programming:"

Radios that cannot be programmed with CHIRP for the most part come with "free" programming software.  And invariably this software does not include the ability to import or export its list of channels to any other software, like, for example, Excel.

So, as a rule, it is a good idea to program in blank rows between specific categories of channels.  Using your example:

DonM 2021-12-25 at 22.10.49.png

You may want to leave one or more blank lines between repeaters, cities, and even states, if necessary.

The reason for this is simple: Let's say that Reading adds a new repeater and you want it to be named Reading5 and have it come up on your dial right after Reading 4.

If you do not leave blanks, you must completely reprogram your radio from scratch; entering repeaters again one by one.

But if you left blank lines, you could just go into your existing codeplug and insert Reading 5 right after Reading 4; and you are done!

Since your radio skips blank lines when it scans, there is no downside to leaving blank lines for later expansion.

17 hours ago, MichaelLAX said:

If you do not leave blanks, you must completely reprogram your radio from scratch; entering repeaters again one by one.

Michael,

My version looks very different from what you posted, however, on my version of the KG1000G software, there are arrows that allow you to move your channel selections up and down the list. There are also insert and delete options.

When I tried to use Insert, it would not insert a new line, so I'm not sure how the insert function works. I also did not try the delete function yet.

What I was able to do, though, was select a blank entry from the end of my channel list, and use the up arrow to move it up to the desired channel position where I wanted to add a new channel. As it moves up the list, the selections it passes move down the list, so nothing is lost.

That works for me to add blank spaces with relative ease without the need to completely reprogram the radio.

…My version looks very different from what you posted, however, on my version of the KG1000G software, there are arrows that allow you to move your channel selections up and down the list. There are also insert and delete options….

WyoJoe, the images posted appear to be from RT Systems software. If you are not using that software that would explain the differences you see.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

9 hours ago, WyoJoe said:

Michael,

My version looks very different from what you posted, however, on my version of the KG1000G software...

3 hours ago, mbrun said:

WyoJoe, the images posted appear to be from RT Systems software. If you are not using that software that would explain the differences you see.

@mbrunThe screenshot I posted came from the OP's earlier post.  He did not identify the source of his version of the software.

@WyoJoe: Where can I find a link to download the Wouxun KG-1000G software, so as to experiment with it?

At the Buytwowayradios Software Download page, I only have these options, which appear to require a purchase and even then, it is out of stock:

Screen Shot 2021-12-30 at 7.39.45 AM.png

UPDATE:

I was originally inadvertently on the Wouxun/blog page and when I went to the actual KG-1000G product page and clicked the Downloads Tab, I was able to download version 1.05 of the software!

Of course, you get what you pay for: so I would expect to find that the RTSoftware has more features than the "included for free" Wouxun software.

@WyoJoeWhich version of the software are you using?

Using the Wouxun software:

@WyoJoeI do see the Up and Down and Insert and Delete arrow functions, so perhaps leaving blank cells is not necessary.

I note in the OP's version of the RTSoftware, he has listed both CTCSS and DCS selections for the following Repeaters:

Phily2, Norris1 and Norris3

And a seemingly default DCS value of "23" for all the other repeaters.  Perhaps this is causing a conflict?

Screen Shot 2021-12-30 at 8.24.40 AM.png

2 hours ago, MichaelLAX said:

@WyoJoe: Where can I find a link to download the Wouxun KG-1000G software, so as to experiment with it?

@WyoJoeWhich version of the software are you using?

I found the link on the BTWR product page in the downloads tab:

https://www.buytwowayradios.com/downloads/dl/file/id/1412/product/5287/wouxun_kg_1000g_programming_software.zip

image.png.9e3e6137618174a2977fbcc9f3a82c98.png