Jump to content
  • 0

Using the myGMRS network from a handheld or mobile unit.


WRNP900
 Share

Question

So I know this project is to link repeaters together and that's great but what if I am not near enough to a repeater, especially a linked repeater to use it successfully with a 5W handheld or even a 50W Mobile? I'm not ready to put up a repeater yet! I have researched the site and all I find is hardware/software to link repeaters. Someone point me in the general direction to get my radios access to this linked system over the internet please. Linked or unlinked, repeaters are sparse here in south Central Texas...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
17 hours ago, MichaelLAX said:

I don't know much about the myGMRS Network, but I have downloaded Zello on my iPhone, so that I can both hear and talk on the Ranchino 700 Repeater, out of my transmitting zone, in the Inland Empire of California.  It works really well! 

Yea, I have used zello in the past as well to converse with a nationwide group of like minded and was totally turned off when zello decided to shut it down to censor it. Anyway,  thanks for the post sir. Using a phone is just not the same as the fun and hobby of using radio. I've got a spread out group in Texas surrounding Austin. We talk all the time on internet apps and even occasionally zoom but it's just not the same as radio comms. I guess I'm conflicted! Wanting to access repeaters using a radio and the internet while really wanting to use pure radio comms huh? Guess it's time to build our own repeater...

Regards

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

Part of the issue is GMRS is normally not intended for open communications. Many folks have systems to use with their families and such as I do. I don't have anything linked that another user can access nor do i offer it to the public to use. It serves my purpose of a community system for my family and friends only. There is a misconception that GMRS is like CB and Amateur radio and many do not use it that way. I know some do and I think in CA its more used like ham.

Easy way as you said is your own repeater. Location is always the issue for coverage but the RT97 with the linking module and a good antenna/line will get you on the air quick. Depending on location you can mount the RT97 to the mast just below the antenna and run the power to it to lesson the loss factor of cable. (and price).

Just something to think about. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
6 hours ago, kb2ztx said:

Part of the issue is GMRS is normally not intended for open communications. Many folks have systems to use with their families and such as I do. I don't have anything linked that another user can access nor do i offer it to the public to use. It serves my purpose of a community system for my family and friends only. There is a misconception that GMRS is like CB and Amateur radio and many do not use it that way. I know some do and I think in CA its more used like ham.

Easy way as you said is your own repeater. Location is always the issue for coverage but the RT97 with the linking module and a good antenna/line will get you on the air quick. Depending on location you can mount the RT97 to the mast just below the antenna and run the power to it to lesson the loss factor of cable. (and price).

Just something to think about. 

 

Thanks for the response but this is for a group who are 10-40 miles apart with no local repeaters they can reach. So I would have to recommend each one of them fork over $500 for RT97 $200 for link bundle plus antenna equipment costs to link radio onto the internet. That might mean mutiny and pitchforks. LOL 😆 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
13 minutes ago, WRNP900 said:

Thanks for the response but this is for a group who are 10-40 miles apart with no local repeaters they can reach. So I would have to recommend each one of them fork over $500 for RT97 $200 for link bundle plus antenna equipment costs to link radio onto the internet. That might mean mutiny and pitchforks. LOL 😆 

Is there somewhere in the middle where you could place a repeater or two?

If you're all within a 40 mile radius, it MIGHT be feasible to run one repeater if you can get the antenna high enough, or a couple linked. How your group is laid out geographically can definitely affect what is feasible.

There is a member with a rt97 set up in Alaska getting 20-30 mile range on handhelds with the repeater placed on a mountainside with solar/battery power. Height is might, as they say.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

"The GMRS is available to an individual (one man or one woman) for short-distance two-way communications to facilitate the activities of licensees and their immediate family members"

Right from the FCC website. That's what it was for years before FRS came around. But feel free to educate everyone on how its to gain contacts and use for meeting new people all over the world. 

https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/bureau-divisions/mobility-division/general-mobile-radio-service-gmrs

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
1 hour ago, WRNP900 said:

Thanks for the response but this is for a group who are 10-40 miles apart with no local repeaters they can reach. So I would have to recommend each one of them fork over $500 for RT97 $200 for link bundle plus antenna equipment costs to link radio onto the internet. That might mean mutiny and pitchforks. LOL 😆 

Well if you have a good site 40 miles is easy. I can with a handheld hit my repeater from inside my house at 35 miles. With that said its not a cheap repeater, nor handhelds. All LMR equipment. Site location is half of the battle but antenna, feedline and repeater is just as important. Dont throw the RT97 on a J-Pole or Ed Fong antenna. Get a good commercial antenna (DB404/408 or equivalent) and you will be amazed at how well it works. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
8 hours ago, kb2ztx said:

Part of the issue is GMRS is normally not intended for open communications.

1 hour ago, MichaelLAX said:

Your opinion or please cite its factual underpinings?!

53 minutes ago, kb2ztx said:

"The GMRS is available to an individual (one man or one woman) for short-distance two-way communications to facilitate the activities of licensees and their immediate family members"

Right from the FCC website. That's what it was for years before FRS came around. But feel free to educate everyone on how its to gain contacts and use for meeting new people all over the world. 

https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/bureau-divisions/mobility-division/general-mobile-radio-service-gmrs

I’ll feel free to let everyone go to the page you linked, read it in its entirety and discover for themselves how you are talking through your hat!

But be sure not to miss out on the sentence just previous to your quoted sentence:

Quote

Services that provide functionality similar to GMRS include the Citizens Band Radio Service (CBRS), the Family Radio Service (FRS) and the Multi-Use Radio Service (MURS).

Remember you said:

8 hours ago, kb2ztx said:

There is a misconception that GMRS is like CB... and many do not use it that way.

The misconception appears to be on your part!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines.