Radioddity GM-30 battery eliminator

dirkvan

Question

Does anyone know of a battery eliminator that works for a GM-30?  I do see one made for the TYT TH-UV88 clone of the GM-30 and wonder if that would work? I'm trying to fins a way to use my GM-30 as a mobile on an upcoming road trip.  Please spare me the lectures on just buying a mobile unit :) thanks!

8 answers to this question

2 hours ago, dirkvan said:

Does anyone know of a battery eliminator that works for a GM-30?  I do see one made for the TYT TH-UV88 clone of the GM-30 and wonder if that would work? I'm trying to fins a way to use my GM-30 as a mobile on an upcoming road trip.  Please spare me the lectures on just buying a mobile unit :) thanks!

I have both the TYT-88UV and the clone of the GM-30, the Pofung P15UV, and my guess is that the battery eliminator  for the TYT will work on the GM-30.

Lets Get Ready sells both the battery eliminator and the high capacity battery (3200 MAh) for the TYT-UV88.  I purchased the TYT-UV88 and the high capacity battery from them and I believe it is free shipping.

@WyoJoeknows much about this topic, too.

12 hours ago, dirkvan said:

I have used my TYT UV-88 battery eliminator with my GM-30, and it works fine, but needs a small modification. In the attached image, I show a GM-30 battery and a UV-88 battery. The UV-88 battery has two red ovals showing the "ribs" on the slot where the battery latch latches. These have to be removed to work with the GM-30. The battery eliminator also has ribs that need to be removed. I used sprue cutters to remove mine, but an exacto knife or utility knife should work equally well.

If the "ribs" aren't removed, the battery latch will not engage, and the battery or battery eliminator can easily separate from the radio.

TYT UV88 Battery2.png

I am not sure where @WyoJoepurchased his battery eliminator and/or TYT-88UV, but I purchased my TYT-88UV at Lets Get Ready ($34 plus free shipping plus LGR can give you the codes to open up the 88UV so that it not only transmits on 2 meters and 70 cms, but GMRS and MURS too) and they did not seem to have the "ribs" that Joe references (see photos below).

I purchased my GM-30 clone, the Pofung P15UV for $30 at Amazon).

Both the TYT-88UV and the Pofung P15UV come with a charging cup for the battery (and wall wort for 110v) as well, so this is an inexpensive way to get such a charging cup with another handy HT to have as needed as well!

Joe pointed out to me that the updated Radioddity GM-30 firmware and CPS software work with my P15UV, as well!

So I have the 88 in my car as a backup HT (and CTCSS/DSC tone scanner) and I gave the P15 to my 10 year old grandson.

UV88_3200_battery-1__43435.1615173735.386.513.jpg

UV88_BE-2__36679.1615342706.356.300.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-01-11 at 4.31.52 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-11 at 4.34.12 AM.png

I have the Retevis version of the radio (RT76P), and I bought the battery eliminator for it off Amazon for $11.  Haven't had the need to use it yet, as the battery I have has been outstanding, but having the eliminator for $11 is cheap insurance.

Here's the Amazon link:

https://www.amazon.com/Retevis-Charger-Battery-Eliminator-Self-Driving/dp/B08SW433VC

Tested and work s great.  Should work on all the clones, I think.

6 hours ago, Citizen said:

I have the Retevis version of the radio (RT76P), and I bought the battery eliminator for it off Amazon for $11.  Haven't had the need to use it yet, as the battery I have has been outstanding, but having the eliminator for $11 is cheap insurance.

Here's the Amazon link:

https://www.amazon.com/Retevis-Charger-Battery-Eliminator-Self-Driving/dp/B08SW433VC

Tested and work s great.  Should work on all the clones, I think.

The RT76P is a similar radio, but is not the same as the others. The batteries and battery eliminator are specific to that model and do not work on the Radioddity/Pofung/TYT/Tidradio versions. If you look at the connections between the battery and radio, you'll see that they're offset on the RT76P, and side-by-side on the others.

Radioddity does have a clone of the TYT UV-88. It is the RT85 model (dual-band ham radio).

10 hours ago, MichaelLAX said:

I think you mean the Retevis RT85.

On 1/11/2022 at 8:29 PM, WyoJoe said:

Radioddity does have a clone of the TYT UV-88. It is the RT85 model (dual-band ham radio).

10 hours ago, MichaelLAX said:

I think you mean the Retevis RT85.

Yes, you're correct. That should have said: Retevis Radioddity does have a clone of the TYT UV-88. It is the RT85 model (dual-band ham radio).