Help Connecting KG-935G To Repeater

WRPA400

Hey guys brand new to GMRS just got my first radio today. It's a KG-935G I have gotten permission from repeater owner but even after reading manual still can't seem to get it right. Can anyone run me through a easy step my step process or direct me to any good tutorial video.

So the biggest issue is making sure you're within range of the repeater, and that it's online (which, if you got permission, it should be).

Your 935g should already have the appropriate presets (with the offsets included in the repeater channels). Dial up the right  repeater channel for the frequencies the repeater uses. Go into the menu, and look for t-ctcs or t-dcs, depending on the tone the repeater uses....that's the big one to get into the repeater (with a decimal is ctcss, if it's 3 digits and a letter, it's dcs.). From there, you should be good for a basic setup; you can input a recieve tone as well if you prefer (which will work like a filter; you'll only hear signal with a matching tone).

That's a popular radio, so I know someone else can chime in with a little more specifics as to the menu names and such.

Way over there is right. Although, maybe someone can answer this. I had a repeater programmed in and everything was good. I could receive transmission. Then over the weekend. I could see my Rx bar receiving, but no audio. I then removed ctcss code and could hear. I then tone-scan and picked up a different Rx tone and it opened my squelch with a Rx tone. Only thing I can think of is that the Rx tone was changed???.   It doesn’t match with the online directory, but works… hmmmm

1 hour ago, Muzic2Me said:

Way over there is right. Although, maybe someone can answer this. I had a repeater programmed in and everything was good. I could receive transmission. Then over the weekend. I could see my Rx bar receiving, but no audio. I then removed ctcss code and could hear. I then tone-scan and picked up a different Rx tone and it opened my squelch with a Rx tone. Only thing I can think of is that the Rx tone was changed???.   It doesn’t match with the online directory, but works… hmmmm

The directory is very dependent on the repeater owners (or whoever adds them to the directory) to keep their information up to date as things change.

Given the overlap in RX frequency between simplex and repeater, it's possible the repeater owner changed output tones to filter out simplex users in the area. It's also possible you were just hearing simplex traffic (though CW or an automated voice id almost always indicates repeater).

1 hour ago, wayoverthere said:

The directory is very dependent on the repeater owners (or whoever adds them to the directory) to keep their information up to date as things change.

Given the overlap in RX frequency between simplex and repeater, it's possible the repeater owner changed output tones to filter out simplex users in the area. It's also possible you were just hearing simplex traffic (though CW or an automated voice id almost always indicates repeater).

I could hear the repeater ID, so if I wanted to verify repeater vs. simplex, I would just add ctcss Rx tone. If I hear; it’s repeater. Thanks for all the supportive statements and help. To everyone!

34 minutes ago, Muzic2Me said:

I could hear the repeater ID, so if I wanted to verify repeater vs. simplex, I would just add ctcss Rx tone. If I hear; it’s repeater. Thanks for all the supportive statements and help. To everyone!

Unless you are receiving other stations on the same frequency, one solution is to just do not put a receive tone into your radio.