Radiodiddy GM 30 programming

KT8R

13 minutes ago, dirkvan said:

I'm programming my GM-30 with no issues on a Microsoft Surface running Windows 11. It can be done! I'm temporarily locked out of my amazon account but once I'm back in, I will post the exact cable i bought.  I did have to return one cable because it had the wrong driver type.  Once I got the right one, it worked fine.  The CPS program will bring up a full list of comm ports but you need to select the one your computer assigns to the USB cable.  I'm a functional idiot when it comes to this stuff, so I don't know how to tell you where to look for that.  Also, I first plugged the cable into my USB hub and the computer refused to find it.  When I plugged into the USB port on the Surface itself, it worked fine. Once I got the cable right, it was pretty much plug and play for me.  Hang in there!

Here's the link to the cable I'm using, good luck!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MQ7TB31/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

On 2/14/2022 at 9:40 AM, Sshannon said:

I asked a couple of times what you see in Device Manager, but you’ve never answered that question.  That’s the best way to diagnose what’s going wrong with a driver.  Until the driver works, you won’t get an acknowledgement.  A screenshot is best, but if not, then look for an exclamation point in Device Manager. 

My bad, it would show in Device Manager if the computer recognized the radio/chip. No conflict is shown. I am using the recommended cable, so either the chip was bad/missing or the dang computer is being weird. 

44 minutes ago, WD8DK said:

My bad, it would show in Device Manager if the computer recognized the radio/chip. No conflict is shown. I am using the recommended cable, so either the chip was bad/missing or the dang computer is being weird. 

I don’t know whether the GM-30 uses an active chip based programming cable or if the cable is completely passive, but you’re exactly right that the computer should detect a device on the port when the radio and cable are plugged in together, although it might simply see it as an unidentifiable device, which would then require a driver. If the computer doesn’t see anything on the port at all (which is totally consistent with everything you have said all along) then either the USB port is disabled (security rulz or BIOS settings) or as you say a dead cable.

If the radio requires an active cable, such as one with the FTDI or Prolific chip, then simply plugging in the cable should trigger a USB response of some kind.  If you plug anything else into the USB port is it recognized? If so then it’s not the BIOS.

Are you logged in as the admin?  I prefer not to run that way generally, but sometimes you have to to diagnose things like this.

20 minutes ago, Sshannon said:

I don’t know whether the GM-30 uses an active chip based programming cable or if the cable is completely passive, but you’re exactly right that the computer should detect a device on the port when the radio and cable are plugged in together, although it might simply see it as an unidentifiable device, which would then require a driver. If the computer doesn’t see anything on the port at all (which is totally consistent with everything you have said all along) then either the USB port is disabled (security rulz or BIOS settings) or as you say a dead cable.

If the radio requires an active cable, such as one with the FTDI or Prolific chip, then simply plugging in the cable should trigger a USB response of some kind.  If you plug anything else into the USB port is it recognized? If so then it’s not the BIOS.

Are you logged in as the admin?  I prefer not to run that way generally, but sometimes you have to to diagnose things like this.

From everything I can tell, it's an "active" cable. I use the same cable for my GM-30 (and clones) as I do for Baofeng (UV-5F & UV-82 series), Wouxon (KG-UV9 series), Retevis (RT85), TYT (UV-88), or any other radio I've programmed that has the K-plug (Kenwood style) connector. I've successfully programmed all of these types of radios using the same cable.

26 minutes ago, WyoJoe said:

From everything I can tell, it's an "active" cable. I use the same cable for my GM-30 (and clones) as I do for Baofeng (UV-5F & UV-82 series), Wouxon (KG-UV9 series), Retevis (RT85), TYT (UV-88), or any other radio I've programmed that has the K-plug (Kenwood style) connector. I've successfully programmed all of these types of radios using the same cable.

Yeah, I was being lazy and not looking at the manual for the GM-30 (or remembering back three posts ?).  I think any cable that plugs into the K1 style connector must be an active cable.  It’s basically acting like a modem or UART.

28 minutes ago, Sshannon said:

Yeah, I was being lazy and not looking at the manual for the GM-30 (or remembering back three posts ?).  I think any cable that plugs into the K1 style connector must be an active cable.  It’s basically acting like a modem or UART.

Not always:

The K-1 USB cable that comes with the Radioddity RD5R DMR HT is a direct connect cable without a chip. 

55 minutes ago, MichaelLAX said:

Not always:

The K-1 USB cable that comes with the Radioddity RD5R DMR HT is a direct connect cable without a chip. 

Really, that’s interesting and good to know. So they must do something clever in the radio. Does it matter where the volume control is set like with some radios?

Thanks!

Added: of course that simply adds to the uncertainty for the OP.  Based on WyoJoe’s comments the GM-30 requires an active cable, such as the FTDI. If the OP has a direct connect cable that could explain the issue.  

OP says he has the “recommended” cable but has not been more specific than that. 

i have the GM-30 clone, the Pofung P15UV with the updated Radioddity firmware, per @WyoJoe’s tip, and it programs fine with my FTDI cable. 

I doubt that the OP got a direct connect cable. 

New here and just got my GM 30. Had downloaded the software and made the changes I wanted.

So, to the cable. I have one I use to program my Anytone 878 and hoped it would work - NO GO!! Next was a Kenwood cable from RT Systems - YES IT WORKED PERFECTLY!!!  So if you have a K4Y USB cable from RT Systems you are in great shape!

Hope this will help!

Been an Amateur for many years and a few of us locally are now getting into GMRS and really enjoying ourselves.

Thanks for a great website!!

Garry aka Sarge

• 2 weeks later...

What interests me in this thread are two things, first is that many people seem amazed when they get an inferior product from Amazon (this has happened to me a few times and I now refuse to buy radio cables from that source. Second, is how many people are buying radios that do not come with a programming cable. When I purchased my GM-30 handheld and DB20-G mobile, as a package, the package had the correct cables for programming both. The cables were the Prolific type, which meant getting the correct driver, but I had experienced that with some Baofengs years earlier, so not too much of an issue. One reason I bought the Radioddity package was because it came with the programming cables.....I like to have one cable per radio for my Cheap Chinese Radios, as few of them that I have, as they sometimes go in different directions or are loaned to friends. Getting the package means a higher likelihood of getting what you need correct.