Radioddity GM-30 Programming

WRPE639

Question

In regards to programming a Radioddity GM30 handheld:

• Have the current programming software downloaded onto laptop using Windows 11
  • Have programming cable in usb port
  • Device manager shows port is operating properly. (Com port 5)
  • When I open the software to read from or write to the radio it says "Please check all connections and Communications port settings"
  • When I select "Program" "Communications Port" and try to select a comm port from the options it does not allow me to select a comm port.  I believe this is my issue.

Any suggestions?  Thanks!

image.thumb.png.82d910a5d6d3146075be96b0bfd9daa4.pngimage.thumb.png.edfd106b72ce9c7e83f896e1f05b70e6.pngimage.thumb.png.a22ba4165c3d0c4ed28cdc42a131b903.png

9 answers to this question

It looks as though the software can't see COM5. I would try restarting the software in case you plugged in the cable after it started. It could also be the USB serial driver for Windows 11. It works fine with Windows 10, but you might try installing the latest driver from FTDI in case the native driver isn't working. Here's the website and the direct link for the driver.

20 minutes ago, coopthink said:

It looks as though the software can't see COM5.

I had to do a little digging in my system to find it, but I have a file called "setting.txt" in a folder "GM-30 GMRS" in "Program Files" that specifies the variable "CommPort=2" which should be able to be edited. If you find the file, make the change to "CommPort=5", and save it, you might find it works for you.

I can't remember if I had to do this for the GM-30, but if not, I had to do it with another radio, and making that change worked for me.

I'm not running the software in Windows, but rather in WINE on Linux, so I'm not sure if the file structure is the same, but the file should still exist somewhere on your system.

31 minutes ago, coopthink said:

It looks as though the software can't see COM5. I would try restarting the software in case you plugged in the cable after it started. It could also be the USB serial driver for Windows 11. It works fine with Windows 10, but you might try installing the latest driver from FTDI in case the native driver isn't working. Here's the website and the direct link for the driver.

Thanks for the information.  I am thinking it is a windows 11 issue.  When you go to the FTDI website is states windows 11 but when you install it, it shows it says it does not support windows 11.  I certainly am not a windows expert but....this is driving me nuts

image.thumb.png.eb35732026ee25c3d332b418b9a8ed6d.png

19 minutes ago, MichaelLAX said:

Are we sure you have a FTDI chip USB cable?

Have you tried the Miklor USB Cable Driver page?

@Sshannonis very experienced with Windows issues and maybe will CHIRP in, so to speak!

I went back and looked at this again and the cable I bought was an RD-201 PROGRAMMING CABLE.  There is a specific driver through Radioddity that I just downloaded and that worked.  I appreciate everyone's quick responses and support.  Thank You!

18 minutes ago, WRPE639 said:

I went back and looked at this again and the cable I bought was an RD-201 PROGRAMMING CABLE.  There is a specific driver through Radioddity that I just downloaded and that worked.  I appreciate everyone's quick responses and support.  Thank You!

Glad you got it working!

53 minutes ago, WRPE639 said:

Almost always, these problems posted here turn out to be driver issues and the better and slightly more expensive USB cables with FTDI chips generally do not suffer from these issues. 

That particular cable is not FTDI, but if it works for you: all is well! 

9 hours ago, MichaelLAX said:

Are we sure you have a FTDI chip USB cable?

Have you tried the Miklor USB Cable Driver page?

@Sshannonis very experienced with Windows issues and maybe will CHIRP in, so to speak!

Thanks for the shout out.  I’ll try not to be too slow in the future! ?

Sounds like it worked out.  I might have just taken it the wrong direction.