U.S. charges China's Hytera with conspiring with ex-Motorola staff to steal technology

gman1971

Protecting "trade secrets" is harder that defending a patent in court. For trade secrets the complainant has to show they followed strict security protocols in regards to who saw the information, how it was tracked and how access was controlled.

Non disclosure and non compete agreements are another matter. At least for non compete agreements they have to be reasonably limited in scope, duration and geographic area, to have a chance in standing up to a court challenge.

I would start to worry about this country when we start stealing wholesale technology from the Chinese. At the rate things are going I hope that never happens.

I recall when the first lawsuit came out, and former co-workers of mine had just bought Hytera radios to save some money, based on the fact that they worked perfectly with the then newly produced Motorola XPR6550 radios. However, I asked if they had tested them with something "smarter" than an old HP8920 RF Communications Test Set. They brought one to my office and we tested side by side Motorola versus Hytera, and there was a reason they were cheaper.....they looked similar, functioned similar, but to worse specifications. But, they were cheaper they said. 

Intellectual property theft should have consequences, but China only bears part of the fault. Schaumburg is a shadow of what it once was, producing very few Motorola radios in 2022. Outsourcing to Malaysia and Mexico has hurt Motorola in ways they have yet to understand. Thank you for sharing the news OP, this is something I have been tracking since it began a decade ago, and it is still interesting. 

"Their" business plan is well known, and does constitute a real threat to intellectual property owned/developed in the west.  If you like to read, look at the Thousand Talents program (codified in 2008).  And how they ago above and beyond.  A completely different standard of morality in operation.

https://www.hsgac.senate.gov/imo/media/doc/2019-11-18 PSI Staff Report - China's Talent Recruitment Plans.pdf

1 hour ago, gman1971 said:

Did repeating the same thing over and over made you feel any smarter today?

Do you feel any smarter today when you tie radio enthusiasts purchase of CCR’s to Chinese industrial espionage?:

@gman1971This is another reason (Chinese industrial espionage) why I try to tell everyone in this forum to not buy CCRs

Really?!?

I don’t like to use pejorative terms on a radio forum, but what hogwash!

You’ve topped yourself this time!

@MichaelLAX Getting the "pejorative terms" out now... uh oh... seems like you are getting angry, is the headache really getting that strong? Take some Tylenol, bud. It helps!

Whatever you think or want my words to mean is just that: YOUR opinion. Adding parenthesis to my quote doesn't change the fact that you made it up, but that is to be expected coming from someone who thinks they are a "legend in their own mind" in the forum.

So, you don't like to use pejorative terms? Well, the solution is real simple: I don't reply by quoting your posts with the intention of getting into a pointless argument, and you do the same. Or better yet: we stay the heck away from each others posts...

How bout that? Do you think you can do that? I certainly can.

G.

I was amused to see a Motorola radio prominently being used by the ski team in China yesterday!  Would that be an EAR (expensive American radio)? 

Come on you two, take a break.  Go to each other’s profiles and ignore each other. This is just an Internet forum, not a matter of honor, treasure, or life and limb.

4 hours ago, Sshannon said:

This is just an Internet forum, not a matter of honor, treasure, or life and limb.

You're looking at it from the point of view of a normally adjusted person.  But sadly, for "some people", this forum IS a matter of honor, treasure AND life & limb..  

We all know who they are - but hint, if ^ that sentence just made you angry inside, then, we're talking about you.

37 minutes ago, Lscott said:

I’ll bet Motorola paid to have their radios “seen” on TV. No real difference than seeing a clear unobstructed view of band names on various products in movies. Just another form of paid advertising.

Still interesting the fact they allowed that tho... 

I recall many years ago seeing an episode of "Cops" in Russia (for the young ones, predecessor to "Live PD") where the Russian police bragged about having authentic Motorola radio's and HK MP5 submachine guns. Certain things lead to the look of credibility.....like many small businesses buying Cisco lab kits and phones, to look like they have an entire IT department. Motorola, Cisco Systems, and other companies add credibility to an environment by being leaders in their field. I used to, and sometimes still do, provide network and radio services to local businesses, and they want the look of a larger company by having certain products and infrastructure, even if it cuts into their profit margin for a long time. That is interesting though, I wonder if it was a Motorola XiR series radios, the equivalent of the Motorola XPR series in North America. The recent release of the R7 radio is touted as being regionalized by connecting it to Motorola servers, instead of  having model specific numbering based on sales region. (XPR7550 in united States is the XiR8668 in China for example.)

19 minutes ago, PACNWComms said:

I recall many years ago seeing an episode of "Cops" in Russia (for the young ones, predecessor to "Live PD") where the Russian police bragged about having authentic Motorola radio's and HK MP5 submachine guns. Certain things lead to the look of credibility.....like many small businesses buying Cisco lab kits and phones, to look like they have an entire IT department. Motorola, Cisco Systems, and other companies add credibility to an environment by being leaders in their field. I used to, and sometimes still do, provide network and radio services to local businesses, and they want the look of a larger company by having certain products and infrastructure, even if it cuts into their profit margin for a long time. That is interesting though, I wonder if it was a Motorola XiR series radios, the equivalent of the Motorola XPR series in North America. The recent release of the R7 radio is touted as being regionalized by connecting it to Motorola servers, instead of  having model specific numbering based on sales region. (XPR7550 in united States is the XiR8668 in China for example.)

To my highly untrained eye, it looked very similar to the xpr7550 radios that appear on eBay, but I could only see the back panel.  It was used with an external microphone. 

10 hours ago, Sshannon said:

To my highly untrained eye, it looked very similar to the xpr7550 radios

Yes, the XiR8668 is a XPR7550, just the model number sold outside of the United States and Canada. It would look the same. In this brochure for Belize and the XiR8668, it shows them with a silver band on the antenna.....those bands come in many colors and are sold as an accessory for marking radios as part of a specific teams or frequency band. An expensive rubber band essentially. 

The new R7 radio is going to retain the same model number worldwide (R7), and then will need to be regionalized, by connecting it to Motorola Solutions Inc. servers. This will set the region, by loading the appropriate language options. I could take my XPR7550e from the United States to an office in Zhoushan, China and it will work with corporate XiR8668's, mine would just show English language text. (I administer the radio network in Zhoushan as well for my employer.) Chinese language does take a lot of memory in the XPR7550/e/XiR8668 radio though.

xir_p8600_bro_ar3-04-001_0412.pdf

Edited by PACNWComms
Added brochure for XiR8668