Btech FRS-B1

6 hours ago, RobertHode said:

I don't need to be an "infulencer". I have more exciting hobbies; I collect spores, molds, & fungus.

Towards the end of World War I, General John. J. Pershing needed more troops and telegraphed to President Wilson his request for more troops.

Wilson faced a difficult decision because The Great Flu was spreading easily on Troop ships and killing many of our soldiers before they even arrived in Europe.

Wilson of course made the order to send more troops as Pershing requested.

Wilson then turned to his Chief of Staff and asked: "Have you heard the nursery rhyme that the children sing?"

I had a little bird

His name was Enza

I opened up the window

And Influenza!

• 4 months later...
On 2/10/2022 at 11:57 AM, RobertHode said:

I don't need to be an "infulencer". I have more exciting hobbies; I collect spores, molds, & fungus.

Sounds like a couch potato that's beginning to rot ?

{Nothing personal -- could almost describe me... except the couch [and half the living room] still has miscellaneous boxes of junk filling it from when I moved in... Don't know what a recliner equivalent to a couch potato would be called... recliner cabbage?)

General addendum: Appears that setting up CTCSS/DCS requires use of computer (and the programming cable sells for half the price of a pair of these); no on-the-fly changes to tone (or even regular squelch level).

Well, yeah -- bought for the GMRS-V1, MURS-V1, and now GMRS-V2... But all of those allow for front-panel control of CTCSS/DCS too. I've got old (Pre-2017 unification) Midland (three power levels, one too high for FRS-only spec) and Motorola (has repeater capability) units that now fall into the GMRS realm with more front-panel control.

I just can't see folks buying "FRS" rigs just because they are "commercial" grade -- when it takes 50% more $$ to be able to configure them, vs other "bubble-pack" FRS units whose rechargeable battery packs can be swapped with AA cells if needed.