Wouxun KG-1000g start up issue

WRJE922

Question

Hello all,

I am new to the "higher end" GMRS radios out there.  I have had hand held Bfengs in the past and have had good luck with them but felt it was time to upgrade a bit.  I recently bought a KG-1000g and just installed it in the my Jeep today.  I am happy with everything except when I power it up i get a message that says "Data Read Wait..."  I have not tried to program it this is the first time I have powered on the radio.  I waited for a couple of minutes and the message will not clear.  Further more I can not use any of the functions to exit on either the control head or the handset with the radio.  I am unsure what to do next, I have seen this question posed in one other place tonight but I have not found an answer. I do not currently have the software installed to program it, nor do I have a cable, was still considering which cable to get honestly.  If any one has any experience with this or has some suggestions of how to clear it I would appreciate it.  

Thanks in advance,

WRJE922

8 answers to this question

make sure you have correctly plugged in the mic into the correct hole. Plugging the mic into the wrong hole may cause this.  Also make sure you have the faceplate correctly plugged in with the correct cable and in the right holes.

If after confirming that and trying any tips that others post its still not working right, call BuyTwoWayRadio and they dont have an answer they will send you a new one.

I had that happen on my KG-1000G one time, although I don't recall now what I was doing with it at the time. I did wait a while, but finally disconnected it from the power source, and after waiting 10 seconds or so, reconnected it, and it powered up normally. I guess it's sort of like a Windows computer that you have to restart occasionally so it will work right.

I’m having problems with mine as well. If it continues you should probably call the seller. 

im having problems with the radio randomly clearing CTCSS and DCS codes. 

The reseting of the codes is typically related to user action. TX CTCSS and DCS codes are mutually exclusive as are RX CTCSS and DCS codes. So, for example, if you set a TX CTCSS code and store it and then go to the TX DCS menu to view its value you will see it is Off already, even if it had previously assigned a value to it. If you hit ‘Menu’ again while viewing the current DCS code you will actually clear the CTCSS code, and vice versa. This is a nuance of every Wouxun radio I have ever used.

Setting a TX code on one, automatically disables the other. RX codes work the same.

Get in the habit of never hitting the menu button again while viewing any CTCSS or DCS code if you do no intend to change the value. Hit the Exit button instead.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

35 minutes ago, mbrun said:

The reseting of the codes is typically related to user action. TX CTCSS and DCS codes are mutually exclusive as are RX CTCSS and DCS codes. So, for example, if you set a TX CTCSS code and store it and then go to the TX DCS menu to view its value you will see it is Off already, even if it had previously assigned a value to it. If you hit ‘Menu’ again while viewing the current DCS code you will actually clear the CTCSS code, and vice versa. This is a nuance of every Wouxun radio I have ever used.

Setting a TX code on one, automatically disables the other. RX codes work the same.

Get in the habit of never hitting the menu button again while viewing any CTCSS or DCS code if you do no intend to change the value. Hit the Exit button instead.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

Good to know!

T

4 hours ago, mbrun said:

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

thank you sir. 

On 8/9/2022 at 1:57 PM, DJenner8 said:

I had the problem of "Data Read Wait..." when turning on a KG-1000G and solved it.

I was using a non-Wouxun CAT6 cable as an extension.  Once I removed this from the circuit, I got a normal startup.

DJenner8 - I think I figured out the CAT6 issue. I ran a CAT6 cable from the cab  of my truck back into my camper to locate the head unit of my KG-1000G in the camper while at camp. So the CAT6 wires need to be "crossed" on one end of the cable. In particular wire 5 & 7 need to cross. ALSO super important. When you go to slide wires into the RJ45 pass-thru connector, you need to rotate the connector 180-degrees. So if the (clip) is on top on End-1 the (clip) needs to be on the bottom on End-2.

Wouxun KG-1000G Wire.png