MTR2000 Duplexer

Ronster

Question

I would appreciate any insight concerning the MTR2000 duplexer. After considering the EMR 653160 MC, it seems there is confusion as to the frequencies it can handle. At any rate, I know so very little about duplexers and this unit appears to be a 250 wattage rating, which is an overkill but the price is $525. This is in my price range I projected for this repeater build. As I have stated in an earlier post, I will be using CDM750’s at 25 watts. I am more concerned with trying to get good duplexer rather than a cheap duplexer without breaking the bank.

Comments appreciated!

Ron, WRPJ594, K0AAJ 

5 answers to this question

Motorola repackaged a nice Celwave bandpass/band reject duplexer with most MTR2000's, although that was not the only possible "MTR2000 duplexer" that might have existed.

If you have a link or more detailed description, it might help to figure out which one you're looking at.

EMR makes some decent equipment, but the model you have listed is a basic "flatpack" compact mobile duplexer which is a Notch style - not the greatest duplexer for use in a high quality repeater install.

Any duplexer requires tuning to operate on your exact frequency pairs. The Celwave MTR2000 duplexers sold by Sunny Communications (Used-Radios.com) for $525 include tuning. That duplexer is the real deal.

4 hours ago, Ronster said:

I am more concerned with trying to get good duplexer rather than a cheap duplexer without breaking the bank.

A quality duplexer is, or can be expensive, but it's what you want.  Stay away from the 'flat pack' mobile devices.  They do work, but these days you can never be sure of where and how they are built.  You are looking for low insertion loss and at least 80dB (or more) isolation.

The aforementioned (used) Cellwave duplexer mentioned by a previous poster looks like a good deal.  Most new duplexers of that grade cost twice if not three times the price.

1 hour ago, Ronster said:

Celwave RFS Motorola UHF Duplexer 0185417U05 440-470 Mhz Quantar MTR2000
from Used-Radios.Com

+1 on this. Sunny Communications a.k.a. Used-Radios.com is a great company to deal with, and will get you what you need. Have dealt with them for years and spent more of my and corporate money than I probably should have with them. In many cases they are the only ones still sitting on product, even if slightly older gear from Motorola and other manufacturers.

I also recently used them to prove a point to my current employer: pay full price direct to Motorola and wait six months to receive the item, buy from a local Motorola reseller for a little less and wait a few months, or go to Sunny Comm and buy current stock at one third the price as "new old stock" in their current stock, receiving the item a week later.

2 hours ago, PACNWComms said:

+1 on this. Sunny Communications a.k.a. Used-Radios.com is a great company to deal with, and will get you what you need. Have dealt with them for years and spent more of my and corporate money than I probably should have with them. In many cases they are the only ones still sitting on product, even if slightly older gear from Motorola and other manufacturers.

Had nothing but good experiences with them as well. I think 3 of my collection are from them...2 handhelds and a mobile.