help me pick an antenna location on my pickup...

WRPG745

Question

here's the background:

truck: 2014 Ram 1500 quad cab

radio service(s): GMRS primary, HAM bands secondary: 2m, the rest of 70cm and optionally 1.25m

I use my truck on road mostly and on the beach occasionally. it is NOT an off road rig. I pull boats, haul lumber and other stuff. I have a hard tonneau cover (Bakflip2) and have tie down anchors in all 4 bed stake holes. I use carwashes occasionally and have no issue removing an antenna to do so. I have a standard garage door and use parking garages in the local cities.

I have been thinking about 3 options:

1. Fender mount drivers side front
  2. Bed mount up tight to the cab C-pillar
  3. glass mount at drivers side rear

#1 I would buy the vehicle specific clip, #2 looks like I may need to fabricate or modify a stock item, #3 probably has issues with the exterior height and interior space behind the seats.

I'm leaning towards #1 

I know not mounting on the roof will make any installation directional, but I'd rather that than breaking antennas all the time. here is an image showing some thoughts.

What would you do? what am I missing? all observations and comments are welcome, thanks in advance!

where to mount my antenna.001.jpeg

7 answers to this question

Imo, I agree with #1 as the least worst option. One alternative, though I don't know how viable...ive thought about the possibility of using a flat bracket held on by the stake hole anchor, but the viability may depend on the type of anchor (I have the eye bolt/rubber block type).

Antenna wise, the tram 1181  is rated for 130-170 and 430-470, and tested out no higher than 1.3 in 2m, 70cm, and gmrs, as far as I saw, though I was finding the lower gain not quite enough behind a lower power radio. If you don't mind folding for garages, the comet 2x4sr is another with wide coverage, and I had good results with it; I added the spring kit and ran it on the roof with a mag mount, but it's ~36" long, so an issue for parking garages...might be workable on the fender mount. The tram is a bit shorter (18.9" per Amazon), and wouldn't be a height issue on the fender.

All that said, I don't see a way to work 1.25m in, but I just barely added that to my shack (in the form of a handheld) so haven't dug much on or tested any options there yet.

I definitely feel your pain...

FWIW, I had a similar situation with our SUV, as there just were not a lot of options (especially with a full "panoramic sunroof"). 

In our case we ended up using glass mount antennas.  The downside to these are that you are unlikely to find one that works well with both Ham and GMRS, particularly at UHF.  We ended up with a dual band for the ham rig and a UHF/commercial for GMRS.   So far both are working out well in their respective services.  If there is any issue with them, it is they are somewhat directional not being more centered on the vehicle.  That however, only becomes an issue in poor coverage areas.

I would normally have suggested a roof/through hole mount, but that doesn't meet your stated requirements. 

I too have issues with garage clearance, even with the glass mounts (~26-28" lengths) which just clip the door going in and out. Just ever so slightly and so I'm not worried about damage to the garage door or the antenna(s).

Just one opinion/thoughts/experience...

To add a little perspective, my truck is a mid 2000's single cab, 2wd Ford Ranger clone.  With a mag mount on the roof, the variety of 18" antennas are about an inch too long in the (supposedly) 7 ft clearance garage at work.  The CA2x4 Comet is obviously way too much when it's upright, but it clears with room to spare with it folded over; to skip the folding i currently have a Comet SBB1 on the mount. My current setup has ham and GMRS separate with an Icom 2730a for 2m/70cm and an Anytone AT779UV for GMRS, on a separate 1/4 wave antenna, with the radio zip tied to the seat belt anchor since the middle seat doesn't get used.

Have another 779UV in the beater car, and since it's lower and the antenna is on the trunk i can run longer whips with no issue. Had the Tram 1181 on for a bit, but went back to a UHF only Browning 1713 (great for 70cm and GMRS).

9 hours ago, wayoverthere said:

Imo, I agree with #1 as the least worst option. One alternative, though I don't know how viable...ive thought about the possibility of using a flat bracket held on by the stake hole anchor, but the viability may depend on the type of anchor (I have the eye bolt/rubber block type).

Antenna wise, the tram 1181  is rated for 130-170 and 430-470, and tested out no higher than 1.3 in 2m, 70cm, and gmrs, as far as I saw, though I was finding the lower gain not quite enough behind a lower power radio. If you don't mind folding for garages, the comet 2x4sr is another with wide coverage, and I had good results with it; I added the spring kit and ran it on the roof with a mag mount, but it's ~36" long, so an issue for parking garages...might be workable on the fender mount. The tram is a bit shorter (18.9" per Amazon), and wouldn't be a height issue on the fender.

All that said, I don't see a way to work 1.25m in, but I just barely added that to my shack (in the form of a handheld) so haven't dug much on or tested any options there yet.

lol, yes "least worst" indeed!

for the stake hole bracket, I'm tracking with you... Ive got a tie down point in there now and would hate to lose that. Customizing it could work, especially to get ground below the plastic trim. option 1 is still looking "best".

I may be looking for a snipe with my antenna request. I can easily give up 1.25m. I'll probably switch out antennas and radios when needed.

appreciate the tip on the Tram 1181 and Comet 2x4sr!

7 hours ago, WROZ250 said:

I definitely feel your pain...

FWIW, I had a similar situation with our SUV, as there just were not a lot of options (especially with a full "panoramic sunroof"). 

In our case we ended up using glass mount antennas.  The downside to these are that you are unlikely to find one that works well with both Ham and GMRS, particularly at UHF.  We ended up with a dual band for the ham rig and a UHF/commercial for GMRS.   So far both are working out well in their respective services.  If there is any issue with them, it is they are somewhat directional not being more centered on the vehicle.  That however, only becomes an issue in poor coverage areas.

I would normally have suggested a roof/through hole mount, but that doesn't meet your stated requirements. 

I too have issues with garage clearance, even with the glass mounts (~26-28" lengths) which just clip the door going in and out. Just ever so slightly and so I'm not worried about damage to the garage door or the antenna(s).

Just one opinion/thoughts/experience...

I do like the look of glass mount, very sanitary. Do you recall which antenna you used?

I could always do what HCCFCA did in his Ferrari and go all suction cuppy!

appreciate the feedback!

I'm not doing anything for a few weeks so keep the comments coming, thanks!

where to mount my antenna.002.jpeg

22 hours ago, WRPG745 said:

lol, yes "least worst" indeed!

for the stake hole bracket, I'm tracking with you... Ive got a tie down point in there now and would hate to lose that. Customizing it could work, especially to get ground below the plastic trim. option 1 is still looking "best".

I may be looking for a snipe with my antenna request. I can easily give up 1.25m. I'll probably switch out antennas and radios when needed.

appreciate the tip on the Tram 1181 and Comet 2x4sr!

Glad to help! Yeah, getting ground will be easier on mine, as I don't have any plastic trim in the way. It would also help that my tie down anchors are the single bolt/rubber block type, so I could basically use a piece of flat steel with 2 holes (1 for the nmo, 1 for the bolt). 

On antennas, I wonder if there's a good 2m/1.25m antenna out there. I remember from HCCFCA's thread, Marcspaz posted a Tram 1/4 wave with a nice wide bandwidth that would cover both 70cm and gmrs...at ~6" it's short enough be unlikely to be a height issue, even on the roof,  has minimal surface for a car wash to get ahold of, and leaves space elsewhere for a 2nd....if you wanted to go that route.

I's just put an NMO on the roof with a 1/4 wave for UHF GMRS. Thats 6" tall and will take a ton of abuse. I run 2 1/4 wave on the roof and go thru car washes and parking garages every week. Never an issue. Put the 2M antenna on the fender if needed. I run mine on a NMO on the roof but jsut pop it off if i need a car wash. 

13 hours ago, WRPG745 said:

I do like the look of glass mount, very sanitary. Do you recall which antenna you used?

For GMRS I used a Tram 1187 (450-470).  Required no trimming at all for low VSWR

I don't recall the specific one I'm using for the dual band ham rig, might be a Tram 1191 (or similar).  It took some serious trimming just to get the VSWR down on 440-450 which is why I would not use it on GMRS.   VHF was fine.

Again, both antennas a doing a pretty good job so far.