Trying to Indentify Repeaters in My Area

WRPV362

I am new to GMRS and just purchased two Midland MXT 500s micromobiles (one for mobile and one for a base).  However, living inside the beltway in Southern Montgomery County, Maryland, the only two repeaters that I can connect to that would be of use to extend my range in the DC metro appear to be Largo MD (posted range of 23 miles) and Scaggsville MD (posted range of 100 miles).  I contacted both owners and asked for permission to use.  Unfortunately, my connection to both repeaters is so poor that they don't do any better than my simplex connection in terms of extending my range (actually worse).  The other repeaters that appear to be in range of Bethesda are REACT only or very limited in posted transmission/reception range.  I am using a Midland MXT A26 (6db gain) with a ground plane attached as my base antenna at approx 25ft evaluation and also a MXT A26 antenna for my mobile.  I also tried an Ed Fong antenna for my base, and it was similar in range to my Midland base antenna (approx 10 to 15 miles depending on direction). My question is; 1) do you expect that the number of GMRS repeaters open to the public will increase significantly over the next couple years so I will have a chance in the future to connect to one that will help me in extending my range from my home/base location and; 2) are there other repeaters within range of the Bethesda, MD/South Montgomery County area that I can connect to with decent reception that I am may have overlooked?  I may just return both radios if I can't find a solution.  

Hit the gear icon at the top left of the map, and enable the 'show stale repeaters' option. It looks like there are one or two others in the vicinity of DC with that enabled that may be worth trying.

Stale in this context indicates they haven't had an update in over a year (iirc).  while they may not still be active, it may also mean things are stable enough they haven't had a need to update anything in that time.

Shifting your antenna, if possible, may help as well. More height rarely hurts, and the line of sight nature of UHF can mean an obstacle in the distance may be an issue that a slight shift gets you past. I have one repeater that a shift from one side of the room was the difference between getting in and not.

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly!  I tried your suggestion and identified a repeater in Alexandria, VA that is closer than the other two that I previously tried, that I should be able to reach.  I will also try going up another 5 to 10' on my base antenna as you suggested.  I have been trying to find a good base antenna, besides the MXT A26 Midland I am currently using and the Ed Fong.  I plan on trying the Comet GP-6NC.  It is 9db on UHF.  It is dual band, covering 153-157 VHF as well as 460-470Mhz on UHF.  I dont know if you compromise any performance on UHF with a dual band as opposed to a UHF only base antenna.  Also, I don't know if the coverage pattern on a 9dbi is better or worse than a 6dbi for the city/suburbs.  Do you know if the Comet GP-6NC 9dbi is a good base antenna for the city/suburbs?  Thanks again for your help.    

2 minutes ago, WRPV362 said:

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly!  I tried your suggestion and identified a repeater in Alexandria, VA that is closer than the other two that I previously tried, that I should be able to reach.  I will also try going up another 5 to 10' on my base antenna as you suggested.  I have been trying to find a good base antenna, besides the MXT A26 Midland I am currently using and the Ed Fong.  I plan on trying the Comet GP-6NC.  It is 9db on UHF.  It is dual band, covering 153-157 VHF as well as 460-470Mhz on UHF.  I dont know if you compromise any performance on UHF with a dual band as opposed to a UHF only base antenna.  Also, I don't know if the coverage pattern on a 9dbi is better or worse than a 6dbi for the city/suburbs.  Do you know if the Comet GP-6NC 9dbi is a good base antenna for the city/suburbs?  Thanks again for your help.    

No direct experience with that one; being that it's rated for 460-470, you shouldn't be compromising too much for it to cover vhf as well. In general, with the increase in gain comes some decrease in the height of the vertical signal "beam", but as relatively flat as things are out there (iirc) that should be a help, rather than hindrance...it's more about elevation change than city vs country.

I've been getting by with a little Midland 5/8 wave whip, but 2 of the 3 repeaters I talk to are at 3,000ish and 5,000ish feet on the mountains above the valley over here.

22 hours ago, wayoverthere said:

Hit the gear icon at the top left of the map, and enable the 'show stale repeaters' option. It looks like there are one or two others in the vicinity of DC with that enabled that may be worth trying.

Stale in this context indicates they haven't had an update in over a year (iirc).  while they may not still be active, it may also mean things are stable enough they haven't had a need to update anything in that time.

Shifting your antenna, if possible, may help as well. More height rarely hurts, and the line of sight nature of UHF can mean an obstacle in the distance may be an issue that a slight shift gets you past. I have one repeater that a shift from one side of the room was the difference between getting in and not.

When warming up my Jeep at home moving 12 inches can make hitting a distant repeater or not. I am at the very end of that repeaters coverage where I live!

Thank you very much for the advice on the gear section on the repeater listing.  I have a strong connection with my base and mobile to the Alexandria repeater I discovered after taking your advice.  The Alexandria repeater owner also made me aware of a repeater he owns in MD which is even closer.  I tried both repeaters and now have coverage between my base and mobile through the entire DC metro.  Thanks again for all your help!

30 minutes ago, WRPV362 said:

Thank you very much for the advice on the gear section on the repeater listing.  I have a strong connection with my base and mobile to the Alexandria repeater I discovered after taking your advice.  The Alexandria repeater owner also made me aware of a repeater he owns in MD which is even closer.  I tried both repeaters and now have coverage between my base and mobile through the entire DC metro.  Thanks again for all your help!

Great to hear!