Currently stuck on Schedule F

Guest Rob

The FCC took my money on Sunday but still don't have a call sign ?

With that out of the way, I'm very interested in giving this a go.  I have a walkie and have tried connecting to my local repeater (Anacom in Waukegan IL) with the proper ctcss and no dice.

Scanning with my SDR, I found a TON of traffic which appears to be coming from the Crystal Lake repeater.  Is this the proper forum to ask for permission to use this?  My apologies if I'm way off here.

Thanks all!

If the repeaters are listed here, yes, there is the capability to send permission requests via the listing once your call sign goes through ( and gets picked up)...haven't looked at the repeaters mentioned, but some 9n the site do have alternate avenues (listed in their description) for permission requests.

As for the unsuccessful attempt, what kind of radio is it? Range and configuration are both the two main possibilities.

1 hour ago, wayoverthere said:

As for the unsuccessful attempt, what kind of radio is it? Range and configuration are both the two main possibilities.

I cringe at saying this but it was free.  Yes, I understand the legalities.  It's a Bao UV-5R.  Didn't want to spend a lot of if I ended up scrapping the idea.

5 hours ago, Guest Rob said:

I cringe at saying this but it was free.  Yes, I understand the legalities.  It's a Bao UV-5R.  Didn't want to spend a lot of if I ended up scrapping the idea.

I won't beat on that point then. Range is still a possibility.

Manually programming channels on the uv5r and it's cousins is a little funky to get the Rx and tx sides programmed with the offset to use a repeater (+5.0 mhz). That would be the big configuration issue to check besides tones...I forget off the top of my head if the * or the # switches to set the tx frequency.

Miklor.com has a good guide to hand programming https://www.miklor.com/COM/UV_ProgMem.php

11 hours ago, wayoverthere said:

I won't beat on that point then. Range is still a possibility.

Manually programming channels on the uv5r and it's cousins is a little funky to get the Rx and tx sides programmed with the offset to use a repeater (+5.0 mhz). That would be the big configuration issue to check besides tones...I forget off the top of my head if the * or the # switches to set the tx frequency.

Miklor.com has a good guide to hand programming https://www.miklor.com/COM/UV_ProgMem.php

Thanks for the help.  I knew about the CTCSS but not that offset.  Just did a quick read as to why that offset is there and it makes sense.

Once I get a successful transmission, I'll be working on getting a real radio.  Excited to get started 

22 minutes ago, Guest Rob said:

Thanks for the help.  I knew about the CTCSS but not that offset.  Just did a quick read as to why that offset is there and it makes sense.

Once I get a successful transmission, I'll be working on getting a real radio.  Excited to get started 

Glad to help.

That's one upside with the certified stuff that they generally come with a base set of channels preloaded, including the offset on the repeater slots, and all you need to do is add the appropriate tones.

Lots of info on a lot of different models, at various price points; some are a bit more limited/locked down than others, but depending on the use case, that may not be an issue.

On 4/2/2022 at 11:28 AM, Guest Rob said:

The FCC took my money on Sunday but still don't have a call sign ?

With that out of the way, I'm very interested in giving this a go.  I have a walkie and have tried connecting to my local repeater (Anacom in Waukegan IL) with the proper ctcss and no dice.

Scanning with my SDR, I found a TON of traffic which appears to be coming from the Crystal Lake repeater.  Is this the proper forum to ask for permission to use this?  My apologies if I'm way off here.

Thanks all!

call sign isn't issued immediately, application and fee need to go though the process, may take a week or two for your call sign to appear. took mine about two weeks. they send an email informing me my call sign was issued. keep checking fcc website and being patient...its government..lol

Guest Craig
1 hour ago, WRPM984 said:

call sign isn't issued immediately, application and fee need to go though the process, may take a week or two for your call sign to appear. took mine about two weeks. they send an email informing me my call sign was issued. keep checking fcc website and being patient...its government..lol

I am also waiting.... Paid 3\28 and just after that I found a message that said the site was under maintenance until 4\4. That's got to be a part of the problem for us right now...