Output power higher than radio output ???

WRPU911

Question

So I am a bit confused on something.  I'm still new at this technical radio stuff.  I have a Midland MXT 115 gmrs radio and I bought a PC Tel MUF 4505 antenna and mounted on my truck.  I also purchased a GMRS SWR meter and checked my antenna today.  I was literally seing great SWR settings and my RF power when checked was 20 Watts.  Does this sound normal?  This is to the GMRS SWR meter I purchased and used.

SWR / Power METER for VHF / UHF Ham Radio 120 - 500 MHz 150 Watt - Workman Model 104

3 answers to this question

Yes, it's possible for the radio to be putting out higher power. Most are designed so their power is reduced to the advertised level and the heat produced is lowered. We used to "crank up" the finals in our CBs back in the 70's to as high as 12 to 15W on AM.

8 hours ago, WRPU911 said:

So I am a bit confused on something.  I'm still new at this technical radio stuff.  I have a Midland MXT 115 gmrs radio and I bought a PC Tel MUF 4505 antenna and mounted on my truck.  I also purchased a GMRS SWR meter and checked my antenna today.  I was literally seing great SWR settings and my RF power when checked was 20 Watts.  Does this sound normal?  This is to the GMRS SWR meter I purchased and used.

SWR / Power METER for VHF / UHF Ham Radio 120 - 500 MHz 150 Watt - Workman Model 104

If you were testing into an antenna rather than a dummy load, that can introduce a little variance as well. I've seen differences of a few watts comparing different antennas and a dummy load.